North Korea Virus outbreak!!!! - Zombisim?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Duxman

North Korea Virus outbreak!!!! - Zombisim?

Post by Duxman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:30 pm

February 18, 2007: North Korea has a measles epidemic on its hands, and is calling for international help to stop it. North Korea had announced, in 1992, that is had eliminated measles within its borders. That may have been the case, and the disease may have been brought back by a diplomat, or other traveler. When the measles outbreak began last November, health workers did not recognize it at first, and it has since spread to over a third of the country. Thousands of people have been infected, and an unknown number have died. The North Korean health system is mainly a sham, with lots of "trained medical personnel," but little in the way of equipment or medicine.

Is this really a measles epidemic? Or is it gaaaasp: The first sign of Zed apocalypse?

Buy food and guns now.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:32 pm

I think this would be a lot more concerning if it was A: On this continent B: Substantiated with a credible news source C: nearly as scary as a piece of news like this: http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature ... ect_1.html

A statement like "Buy food and guns now" seems pretty silly to me.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:40 pm

Sandman wrote:I think this would be a lot more concerning if it was A: On this continent B: Substantiated with a credible news source C: nearly as scary as a piece of news like this: http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature ... ect_1.html

A statement like "Buy food and guns now" seems pretty silly to me.
WOW!!!

Was that an off-topic tangent, with no purpose except to stir political pots...

The OP was in fact directly related to what we talk about on this site, and exactly the sort of thing that may lead up to a global pandemic validating our having stocked up on the very supplies Duxman suggests...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Brianww2e45

Post by Brianww2e45 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:23 pm

The original poster speaks the truth. 4000+ infected at this point. They've even requested medical aid.

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Duxman

Post by Duxman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:30 pm

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/korea/a ... 70220.aspx

I think strategy page is a very credible news source.

Sandman -

[/quote]A statement like "Buy food and guns now" seems pretty silly to me.

Gladys Jennip: Feeling a little paranoid on our last day?
Nathan Muir: When did Noah build the ark Gladys? Before the rain.

El Maximo

Post by El Maximo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:22 pm

Measles aren't too bad, personally. Deaths can occur but are uncommon (as the numbers show) and the biggest effect it has is on the economy, with everyone out sick.

We all know DPRK has no economy, so the effect should be minimal. 8)
Lonestar wrote:Possum jerky beats inner cabium nutrition anytime.
El Maximo, zombie thwarter extrodinaire!

Angry_MOGS

Post by Angry_MOGS » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:12 pm

Oh good 'ol Chonger has plenty of economy...if you're into organized crime and its offshoots...
Semper Gumby

Rus

Post by Rus » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:18 pm

nfa wrote: WOW!!!

Was that an off-topic tangent, with no purpose except to stir political pots...

The OP was in fact directly related to what we talk about on this site, and exactly the sort of thing that may lead up to a global pandemic validating our having stocked up on the very supplies Duxman suggests...

nfa
+1

A disease outbreak of large magnitute seems fair game for "Current Events", esp. considering CNN, MSNBC and Fox News have turned into the Anna Nichole channels.
BethDeath wrote:Ack no! I mean yes but no! Yes to the gun no to the pink. :)
RIP HK33K

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Rus wrote:
nfa wrote:

+1

A disease outbreak of large magnitute seems fair game for "Current Events", esp. considering CNN, MSNBC and Fox News have turned into the Anna Nichole channels.
Ugh!!!! don't get me started on the low mentality thing.

Markedcards00
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead '04, The Zombie Diaries, Shaun of the Dead.

Post by Markedcards00 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Let's just get back to talking about the virus, rather than Korea and whether their government is capable of dealing with it... shall we?
AEnemia wrote:The problem with that is, people will put the spin on it that it shouldn't be necesarry in the first place to have a release valve. What those people fail to realize is that humans are animals, like everything else. OF COURSE WE NEED A RELEASE VALVE.
AK/.45/Red wire/Pie.

Ashemaru

Post by Ashemaru » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:14 am

This does kinda remind me of the beginning of Raptorman's book (a few months off, and in NK instead of China).

But I'll hold off on stocking up on more 7.62. Even though I wouldn't mind shooting a measles victim in the forehead... damn sickies...

"When your bow is broken and your last arrow
spent, then shoot, shoot with your whole
heart."

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:06 am

Ashemaru wrote: Even though I wouldn't mind shooting a measles victim in the forehead... damn sickies...
Sigged.

undeaddeadguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by undeaddeadguy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Sandman wrote:I think this would be a lot more concerning if it was A: On this continent...
Let's remember that, in both Day by Day Armageddon AND World War Z, the epidemic started in China, which isn't too far away from North Korea...

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 pm

undeaddeadguy wrote:
Sandman wrote:I think this would be a lot more concerning if it was A: On this continent...
Let's remember that, in both Day by Day Armageddon AND World War Z, the epidemic started in China, which isn't too far away from North Korea...
We should also remember that lots of flu (avian and regular) comes out of that part of Asia each year, and scamper across borders without much problem...

nfa
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

undeaddeadguy

Post by undeaddeadguy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:55 pm

nfa wrote:
undeaddeadguy wrote:
We should also remember that lots of flu (avian and regular) comes out of that part of Asia each year, and scamper across borders without much problem...

nfa
SARS, anyone?

IRON DRAGON

Post by IRON DRAGON » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:13 am

undeaddeadguy wrote:
nfa wrote:
undeaddeadguy wrote:

nfa
SARS, anyone?
No thank you I'm trying to cut down..
I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me.
- Duke of Wellington

There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
- Salvador Dali

Parabellum9x19mm
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: North Korea Virus outbreak!!!! - Zombisim?

Post by Parabellum9x19mm » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:28 am

Duxman wrote: Is this really a measles epidemic? Or is it gaaaasp: The first sign of Zed apocalypse?
sounds like at least a Level II Outbreak & cover-up to me.

Harlequin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun Of The Dead

Post by Harlequin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Is anybody sure that if it weren't measles that they would tell us?
Could it be that some DPRK germ warfare bug has escaped?

undeaddeadguy

Post by undeaddeadguy » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:47 pm

Harlequin wrote:Is anybody sure that if it weren't measles that they would tell us?
Could it be that some DPRK germ warfare bug has escaped?
The DPRK make zombie viruses?

Cymro
Location: Fayetteville Refugee currently bunkered in Wilmington, NC, USA

Post by Cymro » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:45 pm

I was in Beijing for SARS...don't get me started.
"Young men, beware of murder. It may lead to theft and, from there, to telling lies."
Alphonse Allais

Standing invite to all ZSers: If you're ever down Carolina way, the first round's on me.

Feuerlied
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, both versions.

Post by Feuerlied » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:22 am

Meh, to tell you the truth if it was a zombie outbreak it happened in the best possible place. China has a strong enough border on North Korea to stop a few zeds. (If not god help us if we have BILLIONS of zeds on our hands.) In which case, it would probably be a good idea to prepare those BOB's and buy a bit of spare ammo.

Good luck to any zed that TRIES to cross the 38th parallel (Hangul). South Korea would be a good base of operations for the west's military to combat zeds if it was the case.
"Whomsoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster, for if you stare long into the abyss, the abyss stares also into you." -- Freidrich Nietzsche

Gunslinger45

Post by Gunslinger45 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 pm

Well you see, that's the thing.

For some reason I highly doubt they'll know, "Hey, these guys arent people- they're zombies. We need to shoot them in the head to drop them." And while yes, odds are VERY good that the border would still be able to withstand the swarm, all it'd take (According to all the zombie lore) is a single bite, scratch or whatever on just one of those border guards for it to get over. They visit the infirmary, get it bandaged and go home and that's how it spreads, cuz tomorrow morning they stay home sick with 'the measels'.

Now maybe it's just me, but the prospect doesnt really bother me all that much of a zombie apocalypse. Cynical as it sounds, the world's a too crowded as is...

-Gunslinger
Tomcat1066 wrote:
BHP wrote:Gee Steve that is the most shortsited and ignorant thing I have seen in some time, even if it is in jest.
Watch C-SPAN...it'll be topped by lunch ;)

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:08 am

undeaddeadguy wrote:
nfa wrote:
undeaddeadguy wrote:

nfa
SARS, anyone?
Sure, but only if you're referring to the Romanian AK-series that used to be imported.. err, wait :shock:
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”