US Flu season in Full Swing - Update

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

US Flu season in Full Swing - Update

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:40 pm

The 2020 Flu season is off and running!

Key Updates for Week 2, ending January 11, 2020
Key indicators that track flu activity declined slightly but remain high. Indicators that track severity (hospitalizations and deaths) are not high at this point in the season.
The flu vaccine does provide protection but only against 3 or 4 strains. It does nothing to prevent the common cold.

Remember that hands contaminated with the virus is the primary way cold/flu viruses are transmitted. So wash your hands and keep you hands away from your face unless you are sure they are clean.

A link to the CDC Flu dashboard.
https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/flupo ... board.html

TacAir

Re: US Flu season in Full Swing - Update

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:56 pm

In addition to the flu vaccine, consider getting ones for pneumonia. This is a silent killer for both young and old alike.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 pm

Diabetic patients are particularly vulnerable.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:22 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:28 pm
Diabetic patients are particularly vulnerable.
Hmmm......

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 pm

The coronavirus is getting all the headlines but the US flu season is in full swing basically everywhere except Idaho.
During week 3, the following ILI activity levels were experienced:

High – New York City, Puerto Rico, and 35 states (Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, W
est Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming)
Moderate – the District of Columbia and six states (Florida, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, South Dakota, and Vermont)
Low – eight states (Alaska, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Ohio)
Minimal – one state (Idaho)
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:19 am

Could not copy the image, but this infographic is worth a look.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... imates.htm
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:20 am

Don't delay getting to ID, NT2C

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:16 am

The hospital in the big city near me has been hiot so bad with the Flu they are quarantining the whole 3rd floor.

https://www.thenorthernview.com/news/fl ... elsewhere/

Patients are being redirected and the city is hosting a major local basketball tournament in a week and a half. It's a much bigger concern to my local community than Corona virus right now, lots of those traveling will be elders.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 am

Lists moderate for Missouri above, but it is in full swing and serious in my neck of the woods. What is most concerning is the effect the strain around here (a form of B) has had on people who are not elderly, children, or immunocompromised. Particularly with breathing issues. I had a friend in her early 40s just pass from it who had no other health issues. I had to go to Urgent Care when I had it because I was struggling to breathe and had another acquaintance go to the ER after hours for the same reason. All in the space of 2 weeks and we are all relatively healthy. Not to count all the other cases I am not personally related to. Feels fairly surreal.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:23 pm

Ellywick wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 am
Lists moderate for Missouri above, but it is in full swing and serious in my neck of the woods. What is most concerning is the effect the strain around here (a form of B) has had on people who are not elderly, children, or immunocompromised. Particularly with breathing issues. I had a friend in her early 40s just pass from it who had no other health issues. I had to go to Urgent Care when I had it because I was struggling to breathe and had another acquaintance go to the ER after hours for the same reason. All in the space of 2 weeks and we are all relatively healthy. Not to count all the other cases I am not personally related to. Feels fairly surreal.
Was anyone a smoker/former smoker?

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:27 pm

I live in Mo, and between my wife and me, my 4 kids, ever single one of us got the flu and nasty congestion that lasted 10 days. Those 10 days were over Christmas Break to New Years and it a 10 day roller coaster of temp. going up and down, really bad body aches and several trips to the urgent care. We all had Influenza B, and one of my kids and Influenza A & B. Fun times...

Oh yeah and I tried Tamiflu for the 1st time ever and had really weird side effects, So that was fun...

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:51 pm

NOLA 2019 flu season was really bad in Nov & Dec. It seems to have to have slowed a bit ... only because everyone got it already.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 28327.html

That said IMO this flu season is still under way and you need to take precautions.

The CDC says it is still raging coast to coast everywhere except Idaho. I wonder if Idaho is a reporting issue.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm#ILIActivityMap

During week 3, the following ILI activity levels were experienced:

High – New York City, Puerto Rico, and 35 states (Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming)
Moderate – the District of Columbia and six states (Florida, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, South Dakota, and Vermont)
Low – eight states (Alaska, Delaware, Indiana, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Ohio)
Minimal – one state (Idaho)

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:40 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:23 pm
Ellywick wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 am
Was anyone a smoker/former smoker?
Nope, all non-smokers.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 pm

The kung flu :clownshoes: is getting all the news, but the flu season in the US is apparently bad enough here to shut down a school district:

https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2020/01/30 ... l-in-sick/
CLEVES, Ohio (CBS Local) — An entire school district in Ohio was shut down for two days this week after nearly 600 students called in sick, the district’s superintendent said.

All classes and after school activities at Three Rivers Local School District in Cleves were cancelled for Thursday, Jan. 30 and Friday, Jan. 31. because of a major flu outbreak.

Superintendent Craig Hockenberry said out of nearly 2,400 people who attend or work at three schools on campus, about 600 students and as many as 50 staff members are out sick.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:09 pm
The kung flu :clownshoes:
:rofl:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:31 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm
raptor wrote:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:43 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:31 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 pm
raptor wrote:
What movie is that? :D

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:11 pm

Sweet & sour sicken. ..

And boom, I've got the flu.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:09 pm

CONVID 19 is getting the headlines but people in the US still getting the flu. It has been a really bad year for the influenza virus and based upon current stats (YMV on the accuracy of these) more people have died in the US from influenza than CONVID 19 at least so far.
The CDC says this is one of the worst flu seasons for children. Ninety-two have died since last fall, which is the highest total at this point in the season in the past decade.
Overall, about 14,000 Americans have died from the flu this season.
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/ ... spreading/

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”