COVID-19 Thread

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:58 pm

Run on N95 masks has begun.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/hurry ... -across-us

We noted last week how worldwide and U.S. internet searches for "virus mask" and "n95 masks" have exponentially increased as the deadly coronavirus spreads across the world.

Our report from Friday confirmed virus masks and hand sanitizers were in short supply across China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macao, Japan, South Korea, and other regional countries.

A Japanese seller on Amazon marked up a pack of 50 N95 Disposable Respirators to $638, a 16x price increase from a suggested retail price of around $40.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:33 pm

China locks down 17 cities as number of confirmed coronavirus infections soars

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/china ... 5?mod=bnbh

Mayor of Wuhan, epicenter of coronavirus outbreak, says 5 million people left the city before travel restrictions were imposed

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mayor ... 6?mod=bnbh

4th case of new coronavirus diagnosed in U.S.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... s-n1123236

4th US Coronavirus Case Confirmed In LA

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... nge-county

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Chinese Nurse Says 90,000 Already Infected In Emotional Plea For Help

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/wuhan ... -plea-help

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:42 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:36 pm
Chinese Nurse Says 90,000 Already Infected In Emotional Plea For Help

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/wuhan ... -plea-help
Not sayin 90,000 is insignificant but 90,000 out of a total population base of ~ 40 million is .02%.

I suspect that 90,000 is no where near the real #.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:20 pm

Decent sized jump up to 2469 confirmed cases in china and 80 deaths

https://news.163.com/special/epidemic/? ... #map_block

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 pm

I'm waiting on laundry to dry so I can go out again and look for masks & gloves.

ETA: 2,118 confirmed cases per 2019-nCoV

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:10 pm

Up 2 the Min. thread/page from BBC: Coronavirus Outbreak

Elusive Despot

Post by Elusive Despot » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:18 pm

There are currently 2,799 confirmed cases worldwide, including 80 fatalities.
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/t ... rus-cases/

The official number of cases in Hubei province(including Wuhan) is 1423 in with 76 deaths. That makes the current mortality rate 5.4%.
A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them;
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.- Proverbs 22:3

Elusive Despot

Post by Elusive Despot » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Coronavirus may have originated in lab linked to China's biowarfare program
The deadly animal-borne coronavirus spreading globally may have originated in a laboratory in the city of Wuhan linked to China’s covert biological weapons program, said an Israeli biological warfare analyst.

Radio Free Asia last week rebroadcast a Wuhan television report from 2015 showing China’s most advanced virus research laboratory, known the Wuhan Institute of Virology. The laboratory is the only declared site in China capable of working with deadly viruses.

Dany Shoham, a former Israeli military intelligence officer who has studied Chinese biological warfare, said the institute is linked to Beijing’s covert bio-weapons program.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... kL5UqPjKkY

This is just speculation but it is also a possibility many people are starting to talk about.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:42 pm

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Senator Chuck Schumer gave a "press-er" urging the CDC to declare an emergency :

https://youtu.be/uZ0YIIdw7qU

Guns are icky!

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:07 pm

I live like 5 blocks from LAX. Is there a primer around here for masks? And suggested models. Someone here bust have researched the hell out of this.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:26 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:07 pm
I live like 5 blocks from LAX. Is there a primer around here for masks? And suggested models. Someone here bust have researched the hell out of this.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that any health-care workers interacting with coronavirus patients or suspected cases wear a stronger kind of mask, known as the N95 respirator, along with other gear such as gloves and eye protectors.

Everything is selling out fast. If you have the time you might want to run out to home Depot or Lowe's ....tonight
Wasn't there a big HD on PCH in Manhattan Beach? Been too long since I been there. I'd get masks,several boxes of nitrile gloves and safety goggles that completely cover eyes since transmission through eyes has been proven. Other places . Small hardware stores, harbor freight, paint stores , Staples
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:26 pm
moab wrote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that any health-care workers interacting with coronavirus patients or suspected cases wear a stronger kind of mask, known as the N95 respirator, along with other gear such as gloves and eye protectors.

Everything is selling out fast. If you have the time you might want to run out to home Depot or Lowe's ....tonight
Wasn't there a big HD on PCH in Manhattan Beach? Been too long since I been there. I'd get masks,several boxes of nitrile gloves and safety goggles that completely cover eyes since transmission through eyes has been proven. Other places . Small hardware stores, harbor freight, paint stores , Staples
I've got a stomach virus. But I'll go to Home Depot or HF tomorrow. Now what exactly is considered a respirator? like the rubber kind or will the simple paper masks work?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

I've got a stomach virus. But I'll go to Home Depot or HF tomorrow. Now what exactly is considered a respirator? like the rubber kind or will the simple paper masks work?
Google n 95 respirator in images, I'm sure you've used them before

John Titor was right

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:21 pm

This is nonsense. The mutation of zoonotic corona viruses jumping to humans has been documented over decades. In addition, the WIV has a couple dozen foreign virologists doing research there. While the research is transferable, any weaponization would be done elsewhere.

couple dozen
Elusive Despot wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 pm
Coronavirus may have originated in lab linked to China's biowarfare program
The deadly animal-borne coronavirus spreading globally may have originated in a laboratory in the city of Wuhan linked to China’s covert biological weapons program, said an Israeli biological warfare analyst.

Radio Free Asia last week rebroadcast a Wuhan television report from 2015 showing China’s most advanced virus research laboratory, known the Wuhan Institute of Virology. The laboratory is the only declared site in China capable of working with deadly viruses.

Dany Shoham, a former Israeli military intelligence officer who has studied Chinese biological warfare, said the institute is linked to Beijing’s covert bio-weapons program.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... kL5UqPjKkY

This is just speculation but it is also a possibility many people are starting to talk about.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

mad scientist

Post by mad scientist » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm
flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

Amazon and Home Depot online stock has been wiped out. Locally my hardware stores have also been picked over pretty hard. I'd recommend an industrial supplier like Grainger which typically has much deeper stock.

Be aware too that masks are just a tool. They will not keep you safe unless you know how to use and decontaminate them properly. Knowledge is now important than things.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:26 am

flybynight wrote:
moab wrote:

Everything is selling out fast. If you have the time you might want to run out to home Depot or Lowe's ....tonight. Wasn't there a big HD on PCH in Manhattan Beach? Been too long since I been there. I'd get masks,several boxes of nitrile gloves and safety goggles that completely cover eyes since transmission through eyes has been proven. Other places . Small hardware stores, harbor freight, paint stores , Staples.
I still haven't found anything here in DSM. Once I click "buy" online, there OOS.

Tomorrow's another day. :|

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 am

The folks asking about masks...go read the prep thread it is covered in depth by several posts in that thread.

A mask is not a panacea and actually may not be needed here unless you are taking care of a sick person.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 am

raptor wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 am
The folks asking about masks...go read the prep thread it is covered in depth by several posts in that thread.
A mask is not a panacea and actually may not be needed here unless you are taking care of a sick person.
Ture. I'm just looking for a couple of P100 masks and 1 box of gloves. I'll delay the Tyvel for now. Soap. I have plenty of Bar soap, hand sanitizer, laundry, dish. I will be using those the most.

Handwashing really, really is the biggest thing people can do to prevent disease and help stop the spreading of infections.

Elusive Despot

Post by Elusive Despot » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:29 am

China coronavirus: Hong Kong medical experts call for ‘draconian’ measures in city as research estimates there are already 44,000 cases in Wuhan
Hong Kong infectious disease experts are urging the government to take “draconian” measures against the spread of the deadly new coronavirus from the mainland Chinese city of Wuhan, citing research estimating that 44,000 patients could be infected there – far higher than official figures.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/he ... 1580125347

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:45 am
raptor wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:29 am
Ture. I'm just looking for a couple of P100 masks and 1 box of gloves. I'll delay the Tyvel for now. Soap. I have plenty of Bar soap, hand sanitizer, laundry, dish. I will be using those the most.

Handwashing really, really is the biggest thing people can do to prevent disease and help stop the spreading of infections.
IMO gloves disposable or otherwise are more llikely to be needed here. That and soap as you mentioned IMO are key PPE items for this.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:34 am

Does anyone have info on how long it can survive separate from host, on touchable surfaces ?

John Titor was right

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”