Active Shooters Odessa Texas 8/31/2019

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Active Shooters Odessa Texas 8/31/2019

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:37 pm

I'm getting reports of a pair of active shooters in Odessa Texas today.

Reports are sketchy at this time, but it appears a pair of shooters are targeting vehicles and people along I-20. Area businesses are on lockdown and multiple law enforcement agencies are swarming the area, looking for the shooters and trying to put an end to their rampage.

Number of injured is currently at 10.

I'm on mobile, so I can't link to any news articles about this.

I'll update as I can.

ETA: Local news is saying shooters are now roaming around Midland Texas (just up the road a bit from Odessa). One is by the Cinergy movie theater and another is driving around Loop 250 looking for victims.

What the hell is going on in my state right now ?

Stercutus

Re: Active Shooters Odessa Texas 8/31/2019

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:49 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... home-depot
In an update, the department posted: “We believe there are two shooters in two separate vehicles. One suspect is believed to be at the Cinergy in Midland and the other is believed to be driving on Loop 250 in Midland.
“The two vehicles in question are: gold/white small Toyota truck and a USPS Postal Van. Please stay away from these areas and stay indoors.”
https://www.foxnews.com/us/active-shoot ... tay-inside
Odessa Police Department released a statement and said there are possibly two subjects "driving around Odessa shooting at random people."
"At this time there are multiple gunshot victims. The suspect just hijacked a U.S. mail carrier truck and was last seen in the area of 38th and Walnut.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks for posting those links, Stercutus.

I'm seeing varying reports that one shooter is down at the Cynergy theater and the other is still at large.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:12 pm

They are also saying one in custody. So maybe three shooters? That's a bad day no matter how you slice it. Local news is saying at least 30 people "injured".

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/ ... 1a4e6aa3b8
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:12 pm
They are also saying one in custody. So maybe three shooters? That's a bad day no matter how you slice it. Local news is saying at least 30 people "injured".

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/ ... 1a4e6aa3b8
NYT says 2 people are dead and I'm wondering if the mail carrier who got his truck stolen is among that number.

Local news reports one shooter is dead.

ETA: Odessa shooter is confirmed dead. Mail carrier who got their truck stolen is dead as well.

Fuck.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Best synopsis I've see so far: https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/ ... 1udLFfERYw
According to Midland police, the shooters were driving from Midland to Odessa on I-20 when they stopped and shot a DPS trooper, before traveling to Odessa.

Police believe the traveled to Home Depot where they switched vehicles, one in a gold/white small Toyota truck and the other a U.S. mail carrier truck.

The suspect in the mail truck has not been apprehended.

There appear to be multiple shooting locations, and police have asked drivers to stay off the road and stay inside.

Multiple areas were on lockdown, including UT Permian Basin.All law enforcement is currently searching for the suspect and more information will be released as soon as it becomes available.
17-month-old headed for the hospital in Lubbock after being shot in the face.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm

The Chief is saying that he thinks there was only one shooter, the second subject is being sought but is not believed to be an active shooter. If so, it could be over.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:15 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm
The Chief is saying that he thinks there was only one shooter, the second subject is being sought but is not believed to be an active shooter. If so, it could be over.
Man, I truly hope this is the end of it.

3 officers were shot, 1 DPS trooper, 1 Odessa PD officer and 1 Midland PD officer.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:16 pm

It's kind of wild the reports that were flying around through it all.

It doesn't help that people outside the area can't keep Odessa and Midland straight, especially since the Cinergy in Odessa is technically in Midland County.

Events where people would gather tonight seem to be getting cancelled.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:57 pm

I just heard about this. From NPR: At Least 5 Dead, Several Injured In West Texas Shooting

I'm glad you two are ok. Any word from other TX ZSer's?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:13 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:57 pm
I just heard about this. From NPR: At Least 5 Dead, Several Injured In West Texas Shooting

Only ones in West Texas that I know of are CG and I. There's a couple in Lubbock that I know of, but they haven't been on ZS in years.

Everyone else is closer towards the central and eastern areas of the state.

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:22 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

Everybody else that I know of lives 2-5 hours away from here.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

CG

Post by CG » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:25 pm

So, things we "learned" during the event that were just flat out wrong, according to the current info being given out:

1. More than one shooter (a friend in Odessa was told there were 9 at one point!)
2. At the Midland Cinergy (they were at the Odessa one)
3. At the Midland mall (I don't even know if they were at the Odessa mall or just went through the intersection by it)
4. Halfway across town in Odessa
5. On Loop 250 (in Midland)
6. Over 30 injured
Mater tua caligas gerit!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm

CG wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:25 pm
So, things we "learned" during the event that were just flat out wrong, according to the current info being given out:

1. More than one shooter (a friend in Odessa was told there were 9 at one point!)
2. At the Midland Cinergy (they were at the Odessa one)
3. At the Midland mall (I don't even know if they were at the Odessa mall or just went through the intersection by it)
4. Halfway across town in Odessa
5. On Loop 250 (in Midland)
6. Over 30 injured
Someone on one of the groups I'm in on FB said there was a rumor going around that it was 11 shooters at one point. There was so much misinformation going on at the time and it made it hard to figure out what was true and what was just speculation.

Details were still coming in at the time I posted and I'll admit I should've waited until everything was confirmed to post.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:17 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:13 pm
MPMalloy wrote:

Only ones in West Texas that I know of are CG and I. There's a couple in Lubbock that I know of, but they haven't been on ZS in years.

Everyone else is closer towards the central and eastern areas of the state.
I'm setting up for dove hunting with some guys from the area. They've no indication any of their immediate friends or acquaintances are particularly affected.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:09 pm

I saw a little blurb on the news about the shooter about an hour or so ago, so I figured I'd update this thread.

Apparently, the Odessa killer got fired from his job a couple hours or so before he began his rampage. Not sure if that's what set him off and was the catalyst for the rampage or if something else was. Either way, it ended badly for a lot of people, including the shooter.

Also, the local news and PD released the name and picture of the bastard today, but I'm not going to post it in accordance with the unofficial ZS rule about this sort of thing.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:55 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:09 pm
I saw a little blurb on the news about the shooter about an hour or so ago, so I figured I'd update this thread.

Apparently, the Odessa killer got fired from his job a couple hours or so before he began his rampage. Not sure if that's what set him off and was the catalyst for the rampage or if something else was. Either way, it ended badly for a lot of people, including the shooter.

Also, the local news and PD released the name and picture of the bastard today, but I'm not going to post it in accordance with the unofficial ZS rule about this sort of thing.
Combine that with a trooper stopping him for failure to signal his turn and, yeah, I could see it pushing someone who was already unstable right on over the edge.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:55 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Combine that with a trooper stopping him for failure to signal his turn and, yeah, I could see it pushing someone who was already unstable right on over the edge.
The reason for his job termination might be a telling point. If he was making co workers uncomfortable with things he said or did.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:40 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:24 pm
NT2C wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:55 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

The reason for his job termination might be a telling point. If he was making co workers uncomfortable with things he said or did.
A couple of the folks who worked with the guy in the past commented that the shooter was always a bit of a nutcase and had issues with his temper. According to a former co-worker, the guy would get super pissed at very minor things and was supposed to have been on medication for some mental health issues.

Sounds like the shooter was just generally an unpleasant person all around.

ETA: I feel like I should update the thread title since there was only one shooter and not a pair like the news had previously reported.

Anyone else think I ought to do that or should I just leave the title as is ?
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:17 pm

was supposed to have been on medication for some mental health issues.
again !
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:33 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:17 pm
was supposed to have been on medication for some mental health issues.
again !
Not "again".... always.
You go over and under
I go through

CG

Post by CG » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am

For those who are curious, the 17-month-old went home Sunday night. They said there is still shrapnel in her, but it's not of immediate concern. She looks like a happy baby in the picture, albeit with a busted lip and her arms being braced away from her (I'm guessing so she can't mess with the stitches).
Mater tua caligas gerit!

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”