Unrest in Hong Kong

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: Unrest in Hong Kong

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:59 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/04/hong-ko ... esday.html

It is fully withdrawn. I am guessing the Chinese troop movements were an artful bluff that was unsuccessful.
Lam made a public announcement Wednesday saying that the government had responded to each of the demands but admitted that it “may not be able to address all the grievances of people in society.” She then called for dialogue rather than further violence.
Hong Kong protesters released their five demands in July. The demands include the following:
- Fully withdraw from a proposed bill that would allow Hong Kong people to be extradited to mainland China.
- Retract any characterization of the movement as a “riot.”
- Drop all charges against anti-extradition protesters.
- Set up an independent committee to investigate the use of force by Hong Kong police.
- Universal suffrage in elections for the city’s chief executive officer and legislature by 2020.
At the end of the day I imagine that a full scale military intervention would have led to TCN casualties that would have been found unacceptable by their respective countries. Not to mention that the negative media coverage would have really put a damper on China's image.

In more than one way this is a win for China as well. Their actions for the most part can be seen as reasonable.

Moving forward is going to result in some change. The harder China tries to control the media and information the tougher it is going to be for them to do so.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:21 pm

One interesting thing to me was that in response to communications "difficulties", protestors starting using a bluetooth-based mesh messaging app.

It's just impressive how much power and flexibility is in a common smartphone.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:29 am

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:55 pm

It was a mistake for China to open the door. It's going to take a while to close it.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:55 pm
It was a mistake for China to open the door. It's going to take a while to close it.
I'd say the "mistake" was choosing to be assholes. There is a price to pay. One pays it sooner or later. Tiananmen Square was just a delay.

Just MHO.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:07 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I'd say the "mistake" was choosing to be assholes. There is a price to pay. One pays it sooner or later. Tiananmen Square was just a delay.

Just MHO.
That is more what I meant. They started this mess, waiting too long to back down and allowed other tensions to surface.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:03 am

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Protestor leaders are being quietly targeted in beating attacks.

https://news.yahoo.com/white-terror-hon ... 07277.html

It should be noted that Hong Kong is one of the safest cities in the world with very low crime.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”