Earthquake And Tsunami Hit Indonesia

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Earthquake And Tsunami Hit Indonesia

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:28 am

From NPR: At Least 384 Killed, Hundreds Injured After Earthquake And Tsunami Hit Indonesia
Updated at 4:07 a.m. ET Saturday

At least 384 people were killed and at least 540 injured Friday after powerful earthquakes struck along the western coast of the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, triggering a tsunami that caused "extensive" damage.

"When the [tsunami] threat arose yesterday, people were still doing their activities on the beach and did not immediately run and they became victims," Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, spokesman of Indonesia's disaster response agency, BNPB, told reporters in Jakarta, Reuters reported.

"Many bodies were found along the shoreline because of the tsunami," he said earlier.

Hundreds of people were on hand for a beach festival, which would have started Friday night.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Earthquake And Tsunami Hit Indonesia

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Update to above story: From NPR: Tsunami Hits Indonesia, Leaving More Than 300 Dead
Hospitals and rescuers are struggling to deal with the aftermath of a 7.5 magnitude earthquake that triggered an unexpected tsunami in the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, killing at least 384 people.

Indonesian disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said bodies of some victims were found trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings, adding 540 people were injured and 29 were missing, according to Reuters.

Authorities said that "tens to hundreds" of people were by the ocean in the hard-hit city Palu for a beach festival when the tsunami struck on Friday just after 5:02 PM Western Indonesian Time.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:06 pm

From ABC (Australia): Indonesian tsunami sensors missed huge waves, warning lifted 34 minutes after being issued
Indonesia's geophysics agency has defended lifting a tsunami warning 34 minutes after it was first issued, following a major earthquake that sent huge waves crashing into the north-eastern coast of Sulawesi island, killing hundreds and leaving thousands more homeless.
Key points:

The head of the earthquakes and tsunami centre at BMKG said Mamaju senor recorded an "insignificant" six-centimetre wave
It is not clear tsunami occurred before or after the warning was lifted
Tsunami expert Abdul Muhari said there was "no way" the earthquake alone could generate a tsunami of that magnitude

The 7.5 magnitude quake and tsunami, which hit the city of Palu, killed at least 384 people, and officials said on Saturday that figure was likely to rise.

The geophysics agency (BMKG) faced criticism on Saturday on social media, with many questioning if the tsunami warning was lifted too soon.
From ABC (Australia): Indonesian earthquake: Air traffic controller dies ensuring flight gets off the ground
An Indonesian air traffic controller has sacrificed his life to ensure a plane carrying hundreds of people safely made it off the ground after Friday's earthquake.
Key points:

An Air Navigation Indonesia spokeswoman said Anthonius Gunawan Agung may have saved hundreds of lives
Mr Agung stayed to make sure a plane which was on the runway at the time could take off safely
Soon after, he jumped off the fourth floor of the trembling tower

Anthonius Gunawan Agung, 21, was the only person left in the control tower at the Air Traffic Tower of Mutiara Sis Al Jufri Airport in Palu when the magnitude-7.5 quake struck the coastal city on Friday.

His colleagues had run for their lives when the tower started to sway and walls started to crack, but Mr Agung stayed to make sure Batik Air Flight 6321, which was on the runway at the time, took off safely.

From ABC (Australia): Indonesian tsunami: Death toll passes 400, could rise into the thousands, Vice President warns
More than 400 people were confirmed killed, many swept away as tsunami waves triggered by a massive earthquake crashed into the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, and authorities expected the toll to rise sharply on Sunday as news arrives from remote areas.
Key points:

More than 600,000 people live in Donggala and Palu
An Indonesian disaster agency spokesman said the fate of "tens of hundreds" of people involved in a beach festival at Palu was unknown
Aerial photographs released by the disaster agency show many buildings and shops destroyed

The tsunami struck after a warning was lifted because the nearest tidal sensor was 300 kilometres south of the city of Palu, and only detected an "insignificant" six-centimetre wave.

Waves were initially reported as two metres high, later raised to three metres, but the funnel effect of the shape of Palu harbour meant some waves were up to six metres.
fuckums... :ohdear: :(

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Video of scaryass tidal wave at link.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45683630
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:58 am

Thanks for the updates, Have seen very little in US media. Ham bands are dead into the AO.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:11 am

TacAir wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:58 am
Thanks for the updates, Have seen very little in US media. Ham bands are dead into the AO.
There's almost nothing domestically.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:32 am

Too close to the election. Only political stuff is being run nationally.
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:11 am

Update from NPR: More Than 800 Confirmed Killed After Tsunami And Earthquake In Indonesia
The number of people confirmed killed after a tsunami and earthquake in Indonesia rose dramatically to 832 on Sunday, Indonesian authorities said.

Officials warned that the number of people killed could even reach into the thousands as rescuers reach more affected areas.

A 7.5 magnitude earthquake triggered an unexpected tsunami in the Indonesian island of Sulawesi Friday, leaving hospitals and rescuers struggling to respond.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:55 pm

I'm listening to BBC Newshour. They are saying that it is, ...everyone for themselves...The Gov't can do little. Everyone is pretty much waiting for others to come to their rescue, because it sounds like, it's all the survivors can do. People are trapped in collapsed buildings surrounded by floodwater. The devastation is widespread. The remaining military forces have been mobilized. Much of their equipment has been damaged/destroyed.

BBC Newshour

What does someone do when the disaster destroys their preps? Really? (world-of-hurt emoji) :gonk: !

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm

What does someone do when the disaster destroys their preps? Really?

Go to their pre-planned, pre-stock bail out location. Or if they have money and did not plan just leave and live in a hotel in an unaffected area until the lights are back on. I have seen that plenty of times.
Shall be my brother

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Now there is a hero.

Anthonius Gunawan Agung, 21, was the only person left in the control tower at the Air Traffic Tower of Mutiara Sis Al Jufri Airport in Palu when the magnitude-7.5 quake struck the coastal city on Friday.

His colleagues had run for their lives when the tower started to sway and walls started to crack, but Mr Agung stayed to make sure Batik Air Flight 6321, which was on the runway at the time, took off safely.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Unfortunately he did not survive the event.
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm
Go to their pre-planned, pre-stock bail out location. Or if they have money and did not plan just leave and live in a hotel in an unaffected area until the lights are back on. I have seen that plenty of times.
I'm trying to imaging myself with my home, preps, everything destroyed. No vehicle, roads, all infrastrucure just gone.

A localized disaster, not The Road or anything. How would I get out? By myself. No help.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:04 pm

These two stories popped up on ABC:
Indonesian tsunami: 832 confirmed dead, rescuers struggle to reach devastated towns across Sulawesi
Indonesian tsunami victims tell harrowing stories of survival and loss

ETA: This disaster is all that the BBC & ABC (Australia) are talking about on the emails & podcasts that I am receiving.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:53 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm
I'm trying to imaging myself with my home, preps, everything destroyed. No vehicle, roads, all infrastrucure just gone.

A localized disaster, not The Road or anything. How would I get out? By myself. No help.
Proper planning. For a more detailed answer you should start a thread on it.
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:13 pm

From NPR: Indonesian Tsunami: Death Toll Hits 1,200; Survivors Desperate For Aid
Emergency crews are still trying to find victims of an earthquake and tsunami that struck Indonesia's island of Sulawesi, killing at least 1,200 people, according to local media citing government officials.

The death toll could rise even higher, officials warn, as workers clear debris, rubble and vehicles that were swept away by a massive wave of seawater on Friday.

The tsunami was triggered by a 7.5 magnitude earthquake that struck along the coastal district of Donggala on Friday. Most of the dead were found in nearby Palu, a city of nearly 300,000 where an onlooker took a video of the seawater raging ashore just after 5 p.m., local time.
Photos at the website. :gonk:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:26 pm

From ABC (Australia): Indonesia tsunami early detection buoys haven't worked for six years due to 'lack of funding'
Indonesia's disaster agency says early detection tsunami buoys off the coast of Sulawesi have not been working for six years, resulting in insufficient warning before rising waters reached the shore.
Key points:

Early warning tsunami buoys have not been working since 2012
Disaster management expert says early warning could have provided critical information
Recovery efforts are 'difficult' due to a lack of heavy machinery

At least 844 people died when a magnitude-7.5 earthquake and tsunami hit the cities of Palu and Donggala on Friday — highlighting the weaknesses of the existing warning system and low public awareness about how to respond to warnings..
I don't what to say.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:33 am

From ABC (Australia): Indonesia tsunami: Palu residents turn to looting as desperation grows
Residents in the earthquake and tsunami-ravaged city of Palu have turned to looting due to a shortage of necessities such as food, water and petrol, local authorities have reported as the death toll from the disaster rose to more than 1,200.
Key points:

Palu residents looting basic supplies as they wait for help to arrive
Government official denies encouraging looters
Police say panic is being caused by poor logistics and communication

Many have risked their safety to enter a badly damaged shopping mall in the devastated city, amid ongoing aftershocks — taking anything they can get their hands on.

Police have already arrested 45 people after they targeted ATMs, warehouses and supermarkets, reported Indonesian media outlet Kompas.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:15 pm

From NPR: How To Help After Indonesia's Earthquake And TsunamiThis article list around a dozen different organisations. Any amount will help!

From NPR: In Indonesia, Aftershocks And Uncertainty Remain After Deadly Earthquake

From ABC (Australia): Indonesia tsunami: Satellite images reveal extent of damage in earthquake-hit Palu

From ABC (Australia): Indonesia tsunami: An underwater landslide likely caused the widespread destruction in SulawesiThe article goes into what are called "submarine landslides" - a landslide that occurs underwater. These are caused by earthquakes and lead/contribute to tsunamis.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:53 am

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:53 pm

Interesting (and sad) article on the material dynamics of why this disaster was quite so destructive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/worl ... e=Homepage

Sounds like I'm going to have to add the term "ground liquefication" to my growing disaster vocabulary. :(

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:53 pm
Interesting (and sad) article on the material dynamics of why this disaster was quite so destructive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/worl ... e=Homepage

Sounds like I'm going to have to add the term "ground liquefication" to my growing disaster vocabulary. :(
It is also worth a call to your insurance agent (agent - no one else) to check for coverage. Only flood insurance covers floods, and it only covers the structure and contents. Flood insurance can be quite expensive.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:01 pm

From ABC (Australia): Indonesia tsunami: Survivors queue to escape widespread destruction of Palu in Sulawesi
It seems almost everyone wants to get in or out of Palu.

Humanitarian aid is beginning to flow steadily into the city and surrounds, after Friday's earthquake and tsunami killed at least 1,400 people, but now many victims are fleeing en masse.

Hospitals have been overwhelmed, looting has been rife and disease is a growing concern.

As such, many of Palu's recent homeless see no option but to leave.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”