Atlantic tropics....

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Atlantic tropics....

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:21 pm

From RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information. via an email:
Tens of thousands of people have been without power as the outages in North Carolina have suffered a major increase since Hurricane Florence weakened and slowed down. On Thursday evening, NC Emergency Management wrote on Twitter: "The current power outage summary in NC is 68,892. "The top counties affected are Beaufort, Carteret, Craven, New Hanover, Onslow and Pamlico." According to electric utilities and cooperatives, the numbers do not include dozens of city-operated electricity powers. The figures are also expected to soar in the next 24-hours, and Duke Energy, one of the major electric ...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:26 pm

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:52 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm

I haven't been here in ages, but I'm working with one of the Cajun Navy groups again during Florence. Florence is expected to stall out and flooding may get pretty bad before this is all over. If you know of anyone who needs rescue, please direct them our FB group. Thanks ZS.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TexasNavy/

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm

designerchick wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm
I haven't been here in ages, but I'm working with one of the Cajun Navy groups again during Florence. Florence is expected to stall out and flooding may get pretty bad before this is all over. If you know of anyone who needs rescue, please direct them our FB group. Thanks ZS.

If your travels ever take you to Portland Maine, look me up. I'll buy a drink for anyone who's affiliated with the Cajun Navy. You people are incredible.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 pm

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:07 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm
designerchick wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:50 pm

If your travels ever take you to Portland Maine, look me up. I'll buy a drink for anyone who's affiliated with the Cajun Navy. You people are incredible.
Thanks. :) Wish we could do more.

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:06 am

Update #5

Still have power, although there have been sporadic bands of heavy winds and rain. A few nearby friends have lost power for a few hours but it seems to be brought back online rather quickly (a few hours) each time it goes out. We're supposed to start getting the worst of it (flooding and tropical storm winds) this afternoon. With the path of the storm heavy rains are supposed to continue through Monday for us.

Otherwise pretty quiet and routine so far. I haven't bothered to venture out to the stores in the last day, leaving those resources for whoever might be trying to grab them last moment.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:24 am

Im about to head out and wander, but I dont expect to see much. For Charleston it was mostly a non-event.

Edit:
Back in. Checked on a few things I had to check on, drive about on the way back. Some branches down, some Bradford pears down (But when don't those fall over). Above statement confirmed, from Charleston it's pretty much a non-event. We may get some flooding from the rivers as all the water moves down though, but that'll be later in the week.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Severe weather terminology (United States) Good article. Excellent choice of links at the end of this entry.
Extreme Weather Shorter article w/a number of links at the end.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:08 pm

The Cajun Navy FB page linked above has some interesting videos.

Thankfully this storm seems to have caused a lot less damage than feared. That said it is still dropping a lot of rain on the area. The flooding risk from this is likely to linger.

The reported 30+/- inches of rain in 24 hours would be a problem anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 pm

From NPR: Losing Speed, Tropical Storm Florence Will Continue Slowly Through The Carolinas
Updated 6:35 p.m. ET

A slowing Tropical Storm Florence continued to creep through the Carolinas on Saturday. At least nine deaths are connected to the storm and that number is expected to climb.

Florence "continues its slow westward trek across eastern South Carolina," the National Weather Service said in its 5 p.m. update on Saturday.

The storm is currently about 40 miles west of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and 45 miles south of Florence, S.C. Its westward motion is expected to continue through the day, but "a turn toward the west-northwest and northwest is expected on Sunday," according to the agency. "Florence is forecast to turn northward through the Ohio Valley by Monday."
One of the Wikipedia pages I came across today had the full text of the NWS Warning for Karina. (DAMN!)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:48 pm

NPR's Hourly News Summery (podcast) for Saturday, September, 2018 @ 2000 hrs; states that there are 11 confirmed fatalities from Tropical Storm Florence.

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 am

Update #6

Heavy rains continued throughout the night and should be staying around for about another 5 hours, although the rain isn't expected to stop for another 24 hours. Some areas along the coast have received 30+ inches of rain, I've seen far less, maybe 4-5 inches so far. Anyone along a river or even small creek is in serious risk of flooding. It reminds me of one of the easiest ways to prep is taking serious looks at the property you purchase and factor in the risks you think are most likely.

Despite the not catastrophic conditions, I certainly would not try to get on the roads. Localized flash flooding of roadways seems far too likely and I routinely hear the sirens of first responders. I'm maintained power since it briefly went out Friday morning. There are initial reports of some minor looting in the towns along the coast and curfews have been placed on some of the worst-hit towns.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 pm

My area only received 1.7 inches of rain (according to an official weather station some ways away) since Friday afternoon, but we are now forecasted to receive a bulk of rain (about 5 more inches) in the next 24 hours. The houses at the low end of my neighborhood are just a few feet above a 100 year floodplain - I plan on checking on those houses tonight, and tomorrow as rivers begin to crest around here.

My main sources of weather info have been https://www.weather.gov, and of course https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/, but I've also had my eye on the majority NC power company, Duke Energy, outage reporting web site: https://www.duke-energy.com/outages/current-outages. They have a few decent statistics to browse, and the outage history chart shows the number of customers (not persons - likely more) above 400K since Friday. They don't let you sort by percentage of customers without power, but some counties are nearly 100% out since Friday. The outage trend is growing again today, as rainfall intensifies further inland.

It took a couple of tries for it to load properly, but there is also some good information at the NC Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network (FIMAN) website: https://fiman.nc.gov/fiman/.

Addendum: There are some houses in the next neighborhood over that are inside of a 100 year floodplain - I will try to swing by there too, if I can.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:35 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 pm
My main sources of weather info have been https://www.weather.gov, and of course https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/, but I've also had my eye on the majority NC power company, Duke Energy, outage reporting web site: https://www.duke-energy.com/outages/current-outages. They have a few decent statistics to browse, and the outage history chart shows the number of customers (not persons - likely more) above 400K since Friday. They don't let you sort by percentage of customers without power, but some counties are nearly 100% out since Friday. The outage trend is growing again today, as rainfall intensifies further inland.
Our outage viewer shows the number of affected meters, and I suspect so does Duke's..... From houses, businesses, prisons, and post offices, to sewer lift stations, stadium lights, billboards, and Farmer John's irrigation wells.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:03 pm

14 fatalities with Florence so far: NPR.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 am

Bad news from Wilmington, NC. Apparently the city is completely cut off from the outside now.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... e-flooding
Officials are planning to airlift food and water to Wilmington after the city of nearly 120,000 people became cut off from the rest of North Carolina by rising flood water from Florence.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flore ... spartandhp
It is impossible to get in and out of the city now. Flooding closed interstates and secondary roads, choking it off by land. The airport has been shuttered since Wednesday. It is not accessible by sea, with the Port of Wilmington on Cape Fear River closed.
Wilmington likely will stay marooned for at least another day.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:13 am
Bad news from Wilmington, NC. Apparently the city is completely cut off from the outside now.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... e-flooding
Officials are planning to airlift food and water to Wilmington after the city of nearly 120,000 people became cut off from the rest of North Carolina by rising flood water from Florence.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flore ... spartandhp
It is impossible to get in and out of the city now. Flooding closed interstates and secondary roads, choking it off by land. The airport has been shuttered since Wednesday. It is not accessible by sea, with the Port of Wilmington on Cape Fear River closed.
Wilmington likely will stay marooned for at least another day.
:shock:

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 am

Update #7

This is my last update for this storm, as I have now gone nearly 12 hours without rainfall. The creeks and rivers near me are overflowing but it's resulted in mostly small parks and parking lots being flooded. Most commercial areas are open, although schools are still closed as they're being used as shelters for those from worse hit areas. I ended up not needing any of my preps but the peace of mind that they provided were invaluable. Overall, in my area, everything went much better than I expected although there were still a surpringly large number of trees that came down in my area, resulting in a fatality despite the not as intense conditions.

Just shows to always be prepared. You never know how it'll go with mother nature. Hopefully, everyone stays safe! Wilmington and New Bern seem to be the cities most heavily damaged.
Carl Sagan

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 am

SouthernZombie wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 am
Update #7

This is my last update for this storm, as I have now gone nearly 12 hours without rainfall. The creeks and rivers near me are overflowing but it's resulted in mostly small parks and parking lots being flooded. Most commercial areas are open, although schools are still closed as they're being used as shelters for those from worse hit areas. I ended up not needing any of my preps but the peace of mind that they provided were invaluable. Overall, in my area, everything went much better than I expected although there were still a surpringly large number of trees that came down in my area, resulting in a fatality despite the not as intense conditions.

Just shows to always be prepared. You never know how it'll go with mother nature. Hopefully, everyone stays safe! Wilmington and New Bern seem to be the cities most heavily damaged.
Glad to hear that you make it through relatively unscathed, SZ. I haven't been out of power still, nor have I needed any of my preparations, but I'm still glad to have had them available in any case.

The rain and wind came in with a pretty fierce last gasp last night: We ended up getting some of the strongest winds I've seen from the last 3 days, and received an additional almost 3 inches of rain overnight. I rounded the nearby area this morning though, and was happily surprised to see that none of the flood zones were flooded by morning (though one low-lying roadway looks like it might have submerged and since receded). I know major rivers in the region that are still about a day or two from cresting, so flooding isn't entirely out of the cards still, but the ones in my area mostly don't drain from too far away, so I think they should be OK. A few of trees and limbs down, but none on houses, so that looks fine as well.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 am

NPR & CNBC report 17 fatalities due to TD Florence so far.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 pm

From NPR: Florence Death Toll Rises To 23 As Rivers Continue To Flood In N.C. And S.C.
Updated at 2 p.m. ET

People in North Carolina and South Carolina are coping with flooding, closed roads and power outages as they assess damage from Hurricane Florence. The storm is blamed for at least 23 deaths, and life-threatening floods are expected to continue all this week, the National Weather Service says.

"As of this morning, North Carolina has 17 confirmed deaths due to this storm," Gov. Roy Cooper said in an update at noon ET on Monday. An additional six deaths have been reported in South Carolina.

The tragic toll in North Carolina includes a toddler who died in Union County; Kaiden Lee-Welch, 1, was swept away from his mother, whose car had been overcome by floodwaters. The local sheriff's office said Kaiden's mother had apparently driven around barricades on Highway 218. A prolonged search and rescue operation led to the recovery of the boy's body Monday.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:54 pm

From NPR: Florence Death Toll Rises To 32 As Rivers Continue To Flood In N.C. And S.C.
Updated at 8:40 p.m. ET

People in North Carolina and South Carolina are coping with flooding, closed roads and power outages as they assess damage from what the National Hurricane Center now calls Post-Tropical Cyclone Florence.

"Florence becoming an increasingly elongated low pressure area as it continues to produce heavy rain and over parts of the mid-Atlantic region," according to a NHC advisory at 5 p.m. ET.

"Catastrophic flooding continues over the Carolinas while flash flooding could develop across parts of the Delmarva into Pennsylvania today," it added.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”