Kilauea Slowly Erupts

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Kilauea Slowly Erupts

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 04, 2018 10:51 am

A crack in Kilauea volcano's rift zone -- an area of fissures miles away from the summit -- erupted late Thursday afternoon, spurting lava in Leilani Estates, a community of about 1,700 people near the Big Island's eastern edge.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/04/us/kilau ... index.html

Good drone footage here:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/05/ ... tions.html

No casualties but lots of homes at risk. Hawaii has ordered the National Guard to guard homes of the evacuees to prevent looting.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Re: Kilauea Slowly Erupts

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 05, 2018 3:13 am

There was a follow up with a 6.9 Earthquake. Again no casualties.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 07, 2018 7:10 am

It is moving up a few notches.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/06/ha ... s-say.html
Lava erupting from Hawaii's powerful Kilauea volcano has now destroyed at least 26 homes, more than double the previous figure, officials announced Sunday, citing grim findings from an aerial survey by the fire department.
The lava only covers about ten acres but shows no sign of slowing. It is also spread out over a much larger area.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 11, 2018 6:41 am

I did say slooooowwlly erupt right?

It is getting worse.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/10/ha ... idges.html
Geologists warned Wednesday that Kilauea could soon experience explosive eruptions from its summit, and launch “ballistic” rocks and ash into the air.

The next explosion could hurl ash and boulders the size of refrigerators miles into the air, shutting down airline traffic and endangering lives in all directions.

Some of the comments..... :roll: ..
"Why did they let us buy residential property, knowing it was a dangerous situation? Why did they let people build all around it?”

I would just say.... "umm it is an active volcano, what did you expect? the land was cheap in Hawaii, that is why you bought it. Never heard the expression 'TANSTAAFL'?"
You go over and under
I go through

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat May 12, 2018 6:45 am

Stercutus wrote: Some of the comments..... :roll: ..
"Why did they let us buy residential property, knowing it was a dangerous situation? Why did they let people build all around it?”

I would just say.... "umm it is an active volcano, what did you expect? the land was cheap in Hawaii, that is why you bought it. Never heard the expression 'TANSTAAFL'?"
Curious about the comment that land is cheap in Hawaii? Went there on my honeymoon and real estate was astronomical. TBH, while the trip was totally worth it, everything was astronomical. Also, had a college friend who grew up there and he said the same thing. They were only able to afford living there because the company his dad worked for paid for lodging. People want beachfront property on Kauai so badly that there was (at the time) one of the last sugar cane plantations on the island who offered beachfront living if you were willing to live essentially in indentured servitude to the company as rent.

What should amaze me, but sadly doesn't, about this situation is not the distress of the people who live there (I mean, if my backyard suddenly cracked open and lava erupted out of it, I would freak out). No, instead I am concerned with how it doesn't seem (as far as I have read) they are taking safety measures outside the grounds of the park and trying to conduct business as usual. From what I read after looking at your post this morning, scientific concerns are for ashfall, gas, and even some of the rocks hurled from the volcano to go quite a few miles, potentially outside the range of the park. There are a number of businesses and homes right outside of park grounds. I get that tourism is Hawaii's major source of income, but still.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat May 12, 2018 7:19 am

Ellywick wrote:
Stercutus wrote: Some of the comments..... :roll: ..

Curious about the comment that land is cheap in Hawaii? Went there on my honeymoon and real estate was astronomical. TBH, while the trip was totally worth it, everything was astronomical. Also, had a college friend who grew up there and he said the same thing. They were only able to afford living there because the company his dad worked for paid for lodging. People want beachfront property on Kauai so badly that there was (at the time) one of the last sugar cane plantations on the island who offered beachfront living if you were willing to live essentially in indentured servitude to the company as rent.

What should amaze me, but sadly doesn't, about this situation is not the distress of the people who live there (I mean, if my backyard suddenly cracked open and lava erupted out of it, I would freak out). No, instead I am concerned with how it doesn't seem (as far as I have read) they are taking safety measures outside the grounds of the park and trying to conduct business as usual. From what I read after looking at your post this morning, scientific concerns are for ashfall, gas, and even some of the rocks hurled from the volcano to go quite a few miles, potentially outside the range of the park. There are a number of businesses and homes right outside of park grounds. I get that tourism is Hawaii's major source of income, but still.
I think there is also a normalicy bias. We don't like to think our world is ending. We cope with stress by ignoring it. South Korea is a good example, I think.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Curious about the comment that land is cheap in Hawaii?
One of the earlier articles noted that land around the volcano was selling cheaply (in comparison to the rest of the market in HI) decades ago which is why the development was built.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 am

First casualty from the growing event:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 60141.html

Seems like a one in a million shot.

Now that the lava has reached the ocean there is a new threat:

Civil defense authorities on Hawaii posted a warning to stay clear of any lava stream that is flowing into the ocean. When the super hot lava hits the cooler sea water, it produces what is called "laze," hydrochloric acid steam that pours into the air along with fine particles of glass.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bu ... 627012002/
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:32 am

The volcano has gone quiet for now. The crater has collapsed in on itself. Whether or not it will not blow for reals is a the question.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/96 ... lava-magma
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Here is a map of the flow area to date:

The eruption started on May 3rd and has been going on for over a month now, with no signs of an end any time soon. The consequences are being felt as far away as the Marshall Islands, which are currently covered in a haze of volcanic smog. However, the actual areas physically threatened by the volcano remains small relative to the size of the island of Hawai’i.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/97 ... ng-kilauea

Two men were spotted engaging in a light saber duel on top of a "lava berg". (not really)
You go over and under
I go through

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:35 pm

If you follow #Kilauea in Instagram, you get a lot of pictures and videos of the eruption. It sucks for the people there, but it is truly beautiful and fascinating, imo.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:25 pm

From this

to this
Donated materials

Donated Labor (Union carpenters and HI Nat Guard heavy equipment & Gensets)
nice to see things being handled locally - more or less.. These 20 mini-shelters are on an 8 acre lot owned by a Church. Specifically, the Sacred Heart Church. I gotta give credit where it is due)

Odd that this never hit the MSM...

In work:

all done:
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:25 am

Kudos to the church but it does look mostly like National Guard or ACE doing most of the work.

But yeah the Media largely ignores or buries disaster recovery work done by religious institutions. I find out about it by going to church and seeing the videos and pictures then ever reading about it or watching it on TV.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Cue the TOS Fight Music!

From CNBC: Hurricane Lane vs. Kilauea volcano: 'Like two monsters passing in a closet'

Hurricane Lane will create "whiteout conditions," life-threatening flash floods and landslides as it hits the Kilauea volcano.
When it hits the lava, the rain creates steam that's loaded with particles and toxic gases, such as hydrochloric acid.
In 2013, eruptions from Kilauea increased the intensity of thunderstorms and lightning around Tropical Storm Flossie.

Robert Ferris | @RobertoFerris - CNBC.com

The rare, severe hurricane barreling toward Hawaii with 120 mph wind could produce "whiteout conditions," life-threatening flash floods and landslides as it hits the island's still-erupting Kilauea volcano, according to U.S. weather officials.

It also has the potential to increase the intensity of lightning and thunderstorms within Hurricane Lane, scientists say.

The Category 3 storm is the first true hurricane to hit Hawaii since Hurricane Iniki in 1992, and it arrives just as Kilauea is at its most active. The volcano has been erupting since May 3 but has substantially slowed over the summer. That's good for Hawaiians as it will dampen the volcano's otherwise potentially severe impact on the storm.

"Other volcanoes have interacted with hurricanes and the results have been disastrous," said Tracy Gregg, an associate professor of geology at the University of Buffalo. "Kilauea is being polite, in comparison."

Volcanic eruptions have the most potential for catastrophe when they are spewing huge columns of ash and gas into the atmosphere, like Mount St. Helens in 1980 or Pinatubo in 1991, scientists say.

"They are putting heat and ash into the atmosphere and that interacts with the moisture in the hurricane and can cause the ash to glob into little balls while it is up in the air and fall down as essentially hail stones" and cause landslides, Gregg said.

Gregg described it as "two monsters passing in a closet. They are really not going to notice each other. They are just going to keep doing what they do."

In 2013, eruptions from Kilauea blew microscopic, gasses and particles into Tropical Storm Flossie — and increased the intensity of thunderstorms and lightning around the storm, according to a 2014 study by the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

The U.S. Geological Survey said Hurricane Lane could produce "whiteout conditions" around the lava field as the rain hits the hot molten rock. Einat Lev, a volcano scientist at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, said the steam caused by the rain hitting the hot lava could affect visibility, especially for helicopters flying around the island.

The steam is loaded with particles and toxic gases, such as hydrochloric acid. These gases are called "laze" and typically occur when lava hits cool ocean water. It is possible that heavy winds could blow the laze from the shoreline back onto the island, Lev said.

While rain from Hurricane Lane is not expected to significantly increase the laze, the hurricane still poses a substantial risk for islanders. Lane, which slowed from a Category 4 to a Category 3 overnight, has already dumped more than 31 inches on parts of Hawaii's Big Island as it slowly moved at 6 mph.

"Excessive rainfall associated with this slow moving hurricane will continue to impact the Hawaiian Islands into the weekend, leading to significant and life-threatening flash flooding and landslides," the National Hurricane Center said in a weather advisory.

Robert Ferris - Reporter

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”