It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm 

Not sure how 'accidental' the release of this doomsday weapon was.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/12/putins-doomsday-machine-nuclear-weapon-us-russia/

Please discuss,

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Honestly nothing new or scary to an old Cold War child. Nuclear torpedoes have existed since the 50's. Actually a thermonuclear explosion next to coast city would be "better" (for the inhabitants) than an air burst over the city and no worse than a ground burst. Don't get me wrong I am not saying any of it is a good thing. It is not.

It is just that there are worse things.

Like what?

A 3 warhead airburst over a city spread out over a radius of 15 miles for one.

If you want to destroy a city an ICBM, SLBM or sub launched cruise missile is much more effective. We have no real anti-missile defenses that can deal with close in launches of SLBMs or even cruise missiles.

That is why the doctrine of Mutual Assured Destruction was put in place. It was the understanding that we (the US & USSR) could not stop sneak attacks like this. So we said in effect yes, you can sucker punch me and hurt me but if you do when (not if) I get up we will both be dead.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

Last edited by raptor on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:00 pm 

I read an argument that MAD failed and we need to give nuclear disarmament a chance. I feel some journalists misunderstand basic history and human actions. I stopped following the publication.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm 

It sounds like the Status-6 nuclear undersea drone is designed to inflict widespread radioactive fallout, rather than creating massive physical destruction. The US has well-demonstrated the catastrophe of detonating nuclear weapons underwater in their Bikini Atoll testing - specifically the "Baker shot" of Operation Crossroads. You can seriously contaminate an enormous area with the highly-radioactive surface wave and fog produced from a shallow underwater nuclear explosion. So much so, that the "success" of the "Baker shot" entirely canceled the planned "Charlie shot" of the same operation. :roll:

It is certainly not a tactical weapon. It is like the other strategic nuclear arms, which are designed to inflict the maximum amount of human suffering possible, regardless of military/civilian designation. While the only intended use of these weapons is morally absurd, and the fact that so many exist is a little crazy; for all their potential destruction, the strategic, existential nuclear threat of MAD is possibly one of the major reasons why we enjoy relative peace in modern times. Few "hot" wars between major nations have occurred since the development of nuclear weapons (ignoring some proxy wars), and it is possible that they are precisely to blame for that.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Anything involving the use of thermonuclear devices as a weapon will not end well. It can't.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm 

Another article on this: https://warisboring.com/russias-giant-nuclear-torpedo-is-apparently-real/