It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am 

Alabama has declared a State of Emergency due to flu related concerns. They are not calling it a pandemic, yet.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index ... hools.html

A lot of people are sick. Some are very sick. I had to go to the ED at the local hospital the other night on business and the waiting room was completely packed (normally it is near empty at that time of the night) with about half the people in the waiting room issued masks.

Some schools have closed, some hospitals are not taking new patients.

The hospital the wife works at had about 30% of the staff out sick in the last week or so.

Make sure you are taking measures to protect yourself.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:46 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I have one person out sick with the flu today....wash your hands often and keep your hands away from your nose and eyes.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 pm 

Had it last month. No fun.

Schools in a nearby town are closed.

Getting a flu shot next year. Even if it isn't a sure thing, anything to avoid having that again...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Particularly bad this year is the H3N2 strain; highly virulent and it has an annoying tendency to frequently mutate, rendering flu vaccinations only marginally or (in the case of Australia) minimally effective.

I personally get the flu shot every year, but the vaccine is formulated months in advance. It's always something of a crap shoot whether the particular strains it's intended to combat that year are actually prevalent. Apparently it can at least help lessen the length and severity of the symptoms of unexpected flu strains, although I confess I don't really know the science behind that.

Raptor's advice remains sound: practice good, defensive hygiene. Especially during flu season. As with colds, flus and the undead, not getting infected in the first place is infinitely preferable to getting infected and hoping whatever medicinal cocktail you have coursing through your veins proves effective in keeping it from taking hold.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:17 pm 

The flu made its rounds through my workplace this year. I managed to contract it myself, and I don't think I'd been that sick in a decade or more.

I ended up sleeping for roughly 14 hours a day during the peak of it, and had a fever of 102 F. I have a higher than average activity level and am reasonably fit, but for about two weeks after my fever broke I still had low endurance and persistent muscle weakness. I can definitely see how the flu can be dangerous to the elderly or people with other health problems.

Until this year the owners of the building I work in were offering flu shots to all employees of businesses with offices in it, but they didn't this year. I put off getting one on my own, and it ended up being too late. I will not do that again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:51 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

If you can get an RX and go buy a full dose of Tamiflu. I had the flu last year and immediately used Tamiflu at the first symptoms and it made the illness about equal to a mid-level cold.

If you think you are sick stay home. Avoid crowds and take basic precautions like washing of hands keeping your distance around people. Wave do not shake hands.

BTW last year I called my MD and asked for a Tamiflu RX and they said do not even come in and gave me an RX via phone. Ask for an RX sooner rather than later.

Here is a coupon for 75% off of Tamiflu
https://www.helprx.info/tamiflu-discoun ... flu_pmt_bp

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 am 

My son picked up the flu near the end of his school semester. The flu went away but he then had Bronchitis as a follow on. He did not realize this until the wife examined him.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”