It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am 

Harrowing images show Mount Sinabung, in North Sumatra, erupting with smoke billowing high into the air. The monster mountain lies just miles from supervolcano Lake Toba, that has a 62-mile crater filled with water and was responsible for what was thought to have been the largest explosive eruption ever on planet Earth. It blew 74,000 years ago and it is thought it wiped out most humans living at the time. Sinabung's explosion - the second in just weeks - is likely to fuel fears Toba may rumble again with fatal consquences. Sinabung erupted at the end of October, and comes amid a series of eruptions that have also hit Bali volcano Mount Agung in recent months. It is not yet clear if locals had evacuated the area surrounding Sinabung before it started spewing lava.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 am 

BREAKING: Massive volcano ERUPTS spewing deadly lava

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am 

Uh-oh.

I've got to get to work, but someone let me know if it's the end of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:24 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

KJ4VOV wrote:

Funny how I don't recall ever studying this cataclysmic eruption that wiped out most of humanity. I know that's prehistory and all, but gosh, such a global mass extinction event had to have impacted far more species than just humans. Makes the Krakatoa explosion seen like tiny little poof in comparison, doesn't it? Yessiree, it's a real head scratcher that I'm hearing of this other event only now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:20 pm 

Well, dunno about there.

Here, in Alaska, flights have been grounded because of the Shiveluch volcano - in Russia. Nobody wants to fly in the ash.

Seems like nearly every day, somewhere, a volcano erupts.

The photos are pretty cool.

Here is a video from a couple of months ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvcNTMsEv7I

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Funny how I don't recall ever studying this cataclysmic eruption that wiped out most of humanity. I know that's prehistory and all, but gosh, such a global mass extinction event had to have impacted far more species than just humans. Makes the Krakatoa explosion seen like tiny little poof in comparison, doesn't it? Yessiree, it's a real head scratcher that I'm hearing of this other event only now.

Doesn't it make you want to click on the link even a little bit? Please, please, please click on the link.... IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD CLICK ON THE LINK!!!!!

Maybe they had the wrong mountain? Instead of Mount Sinabung it is Mount Cinnabon? The far less dangerous and much more tasty mountain?

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:36 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

Heck all the rest of us knew about it. :ooh:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lake Toba (Indonesian: Danau Toba) is a large natural lake occupying the caldera of a supervolcano. The lake is about 100 kilometres (62 mi) long, 30 kilometres (19 mi) wide, and up to 505 metres (1,657 ft) deep. Located in the middle of the northern part of the Indonesian island of Sumatra, with a surface elevation of about 900 metres (2,953 ft), the lake stretches from 2.88°N 98.52°E to 2.35°N 99.1°E. It is the largest lake in Indonesia and also the largest volcanic lake in the world.[1]
Lake Toba is the site of a massive supervolcanic eruption estimated at VEI 8 that occurred 69,000 to 77,000 years ago,[2][3][4] representing a climate-changing event. It is the largest known explosive eruption on Earth in the last 25 million years. According to the Toba catastrophe theory, it had global consequences for human populations; it killed most humans living at that time and is believed to have created a population bottleneck in central east Africa and India, which affects the genetic make up of the human worldwide population to the present.[5]