It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NYC Incident 10-31-17
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

6 dead after driver plows into people on New York City bike path

http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-city-officers-responding-reports-shots-fired-lower/story?id=50842052

At least six people are dead and others injured after a vehicle drove onto a bike path in lower Manhattan in New York City. The sprawling crime scene runs several blocks along the West Side Highway.

A vehicle entered the West Street pedestrian and bike path north of Chambers Street, hitting multiple people on the path, leaving some dead and "numerous people injured," New York City police said, citing preliminary investigation.

The vehicle kept driving south until it hit another vehicle, police said. At that point, the suspect, who was "displaying imitation firearms," got out of the vehicle and was shot by responding officers, authorities said.

----------------------------------------------------

Manhattan truck crash leaves up to 6 dead, police sources say; person in custody

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-york-shots-fired/index.html

There are fatalities after a truck drove the wrong way down the West Side Highway bike path for several blocks Tuesday afternoon, striking several people, according to sources at the New York Police Department.

The driver exited the vehicle with what appeared to be a gun and was shot by police, the sources added. The individual is in police custody and is being taken to the hospital for treatment.

As many as six people are dead, according to two senior law enforcement sources on the scene, They added that it appears to be deliberate act.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Thoughts and prayers with the families of the victims and may the perp roast in hell.

Sadly, the only thing surprising about this incident is that it took so long to reach American shores. Still coming to terms with the vehicular carnage that the UK, France, Spain and Germany have had to endure.

Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Just read the death toll’s up to 8 + 15 injured... :(

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:37 pm 

While I have worked with the US Marines and am moderately fluent in Modern Profanity - this attack leaves me nearly speechless.

That the asshat Mayor encouraged folks to go party, it's Halloween - well, that left me steamed.

As with many - prayers for the family members of the dead and injured. Something like this is...unimaginable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:15 am 

Is Jor-El still around? I'd really love his take on this.

The real hell of it is, this is a nightmare scenario for me, and I'm supposed to be a goddamned prepper. My family loves parades and a parade would be a terrifying place to enact one of these attacks-hemmed in on all sides by crowds and buildings in long bands is something about which you can do very little. You can try to guide the crowds away if you spot it in time, or you can start elbowing your way through the throng, or if you are armed and masterful at split second decision making you can try to shoot the driver. But none of these can stop the kinetic mass of mayhem coming down the lane of what you thought was a peaceful day.

My heart goes out to the victims in this case, and may the perpetrator be infested with rectal scorpions in hell forever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Quote:
Sadly, the only thing surprising about this incident...

Agree. 100%. People should read your post twice. I'll go one step further. Even with NO malicious intent, changing a tire on the side of some freeways is more dangerous than deploying to places considered a 'hot' zone. Vehicles, especially if speed is involved, are inherently dangerous. Not far from where I live, a convenience store owner I often talk to told me that last weekend a car parked at a gas pump and then didn't move for an hour. He waited that hour before calling police. The driver was passed out at the wheel; the car was in park. In the back a woman was passed out too, and she still had the syringe in her arm. In the car was alcohol, heroin and other drugs. These people are driving around, slightly buzzed to blackout. Now too, add weaponizing the vehicle for malicious intent.

Apparently, this NYC loser had no real link to the groups or training so it is choosing suicide or at least a life in prison with a chance to have his picture plastered on every media source for the minimum 15 minutes. It occurred a week after the anniversary of an event where another driver blasted BLT 1/8 in 1983. 218 Marines were killed in that incident, October 23, 1983.

On a positive note, one of mine is doing an internship this semester for a major media source nearby and informed me about the incident outside and that she was completely safe about 2 minutes before it popped up on the news feed. This validated years of teaching my kids about keeping their heads on a swivel, constantly updating an escape plan and reporting properly to keep people informed.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those injured or lost. No matter what beliefs one has, I do not think there will be an eternal reward for purposefully taking the lives of the innocent. We should introduce him to fire in this life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:34 pm 

by-the-throat wrote:

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm 

Quote:
:twisted: We should introduce him to fire in this life. :twisted:

Now that sounds like a good idea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 pm 

I really hate that these things are happening in the U.S. now. My heart goes out to all the victims. However, we know that these sorts of attacks have been happening regularly in the U.K. and that the terrorist playbook has been out on the Internet for awhile now.

To prep, I'd suggest cyclists install a rear-view mirror and use it. It will help avoid collisions with faster cyclists overtaking and it will provide some awareness of surroundings. When I was into bicycling, I rode a mountain bike that was capable of going off-path and that didn't have toe-clips to prevent me from rapidly dismounting.

I would like to think that here in the south at least some people could take a shot at any crazy lunatic. But, 40 to 60 miles per hour is fast and wouldn't leave much reaction time. Plus, the typical small .380 or 9mm conceal carry pistol isn't much of a truck stopper. People make trade offs between ease of carry, penetration, caliber, and capacity all the time. But, in a case like this, you'd really want at least a full-sized service pistol with 15 or 16 shots. That makes life more difficult in terms of concealment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:19 am 

Dabster wrote:
by-the-throat wrote:

Me too.

My partial retirement keeps me out of most of 5he city's problems but I still dabble.
I'm amazed incidents like this don't happen more often as a result of EDPs or insane traffic management. In many of the city's major roads bike lanes were added with what appeared to be sole input from bicyclists and zero consideration for motorized vehicle traffic. Ask anyone who tried driving and parking in Manhattan recently. The sheer preponderance of MVAs where the bicyclist was determined to be at fault is driving thhe city to consider what was once unthinkable; bicyclist insurance and registration.

The NYPD used to have a program that monitored the many mosques that serve the Muslim community, including the one the perp attended.