It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:35 pm 

Fires have been raging across my area of Northern California since last Sunday, October 8th.

Winds in excess of 60 mph fanned the flames from the Tubbs Fire into northeastern Santa Rosa, forcing the evacuation of 2 hospitals and several neighborhoods.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... amage.html

Drone footage of Coffey Park: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... otage.html

Image Image

Being 50 miles north, Santa Rosa is the bedroom community for San Francisco. It's also in the middle of wine country, where "...winds are forecast to be similar to those that stoked the first flames Sunday night, which have since mushroomed to more than 15 fires that have scorched 220,000 acres, destroyed an estimated 5,700 structures and caused at least 38 deaths". (LA Times) A number of people that I've talked to said that they did not have a lot of time to pack before they were forced to evacuate. Most did not have anything besides the clothes they were sleeping in.

While my immediate family did not have to evacuate, I think that my wife will be changing the way that she views my prepping habits. I had a BOB for myself, her, and my daughter, ready to go when my brother called to let me know that they were evacuating. This event is a perfect, if saddening, reminder that even cities are not immune to wildfires. I've heard that roughly 5% of the housing in this area is now gone. Folks are living with friends or relatives, shelters, or have left the area. People who read this board have a different mindset about how to handle/cope with situations like this. What about the rest of your family? Your neighbor? Your Aunt Jane with all the cats? Can she leave with 10 minutes notice? Does she have enough clothes and Meow-mix™ for her little friends? Please use this as an example of why preps are so important for every household! Another mandatory evacuation was issued this morning at 4:50am for the east side of Santa Rosa. These fires are very much alive and kicking.

To add insult to injury, we had a magnitude 2.9 earthquake on Tuesday, Day 2 of the fire. Yes, we live in earthquake country as well..... :(

For your viewing pleasure...check out this 747 water bomber. Totally cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fox_xom ... e=youtu.be

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:43 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

It's absolutely cataclysmic for the communities impacted. In addition to the confirmed deaths, estimates of the people still unaccounted for are in the triple digits, which is alarming.

I've read/heard from a number of different sources that modern forestry and fire management practices may be impacting the severity of wildfires. Something to do with natural wildfire cycles being necessary to cull dead trees from healthy growth before too much combustible fuel accumulates.

Interrupting that natural fire cycle is thought to lead to unnaturally intense and consuming wildfires.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:49 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
It's absolutely cataclysmic for the communities impacted. In addition to the confirmed deaths, estimates of the people still unaccounted for are in the triple digits, which is alarming.

I've read/heard from a number of different sources that modern forestry and fire management practices may be impacting the severity of wildfires. Something to do with natural wildfire cycles being necessary to cull dead trees from healthy growth before too much combustible fuel accumulates.

Interrupting that natural fire cycle is thought to lead to unnaturally intense and consuming wildfires.

Yea but that dips into EPA rules, permits , politics :words: :words: :words:

Stay safe J-bean. I lived in Cali for fifty years and you have to see it to believe it just how fast those fires can spread. I remember one I saw above Malibu that was going 60 mph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:03 am 

The entire west is/was burning. Over 2,000,000 square acres burnt. That's over 2 Rhode Island's..... 40+ people have died just from the Cali fires, perhaps more. It's been crazy out here but, it doesn't make a heck of s lot of news because it doesn't look cool from the satilite views and they are t really predictable.

Hopefully they get under control soon.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 am 

I am most saddened for the people who went to bed thinking they were probably safe and were overtaken in the night. One family tried to escape, but were all injured save for one boy who didn't make it. The news article I read said the family were all in poor condition and hadn't even been told yet that their boy perished in the fire. Another couple survived by facing the possibility of hypothermia in a neighbor's pool. A college girl came home to evacuate her dog, but the road became impassible, so she went back home for her bicycle, putting her big dog in a duffel bag over her arms and narrowly escaped by getting past the blockage in the road and being picked up by a truck driver.

One man said he went to bed thinking he and his family were probably safe because the fire was 11 miles away. If I'm ever within 20 miles of a wildfire, I think I'll just go ahead and get out.

In many towns in tornado prone areas, they have air raid sirens to alert residents to incoming tornadoes. Seems like it would be a good idea to have such things in California towns where wildfires are a possibility. That way, these people could have been awoken by something other than police and neighbors scrambling door-to-door in seriously dangerous conditions.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:50 am 

Anianna wrote:
I am most saddened for the people who went to bed thinking they were probably safe and were overtaken in the night. One family tried to escape, but were all injured save for one boy who didn't make it. The news article I read said the family were all in poor condition and hadn't even been told yet that their boy perished in the fire. Another couple survived by facing the possibility of hypothermia in a neighbor's pool. A college girl came home to evacuate her dog, but the road became impassible, so she went back home for her bicycle, putting her big dog in a duffel bag over her arms and narrowly escaped by getting past the blockage in the road and being picked up by a truck driver.

One man said he went to bed thinking he and his family were probably safe because the fire was 11 miles away. If I'm ever within 20 miles of a wildfire, I think I'll just go ahead and get out.

In many towns in tornado prone areas, they have air raid sirens to alert residents to incoming tornadoes. Seems like it would be a good idea to have such things in California towns where wildfires are a possibility. That way, these people could have been awoken by something other than police and neighbors scrambling door-to-door in seriously dangerous conditions.

I don't know what preparations they had ( have ) in place for the fires now occurring in Nor. Cal. I do know before the 2003 fire siege in So. Cal. , in the San Bernadino Mts. Communities had numerous evacuation plan town meetings, mass mailings of evacuation details and pre positioned traffic cones and signs . When the fire happened residents were alerted to flee by way of loudspeakers from helocopters. Police vehicles using sirens and loud speakers , Cable , regular tv and radio alerts. They evacuated the whole mountain within a few hours. Any persons without means of evacuating were placed on buses or other vehicles. Any vehicles that became disabled were pushed off the road and the occupants placed in another vehicle.
I would think the communities now threatened would have at least preparations as good as those from 14 years ago. The speed and intensity of these kinds of fires is incredible. Racing along the ground while blowing embers far in advance ( sometimes miles ) . The vegetation literally explodes into flames from the out gassing of the plants and trees from the heat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am 

flybynight wrote:
Anianna wrote:

I don't know what preparations they had ( have ) in place for the fires now occurring in Nor. Cal. I do know before the 2003 fire siege in So. Cal. , in the San Bernadino Mts. Communities had numerous evacuation plan town meetings, mass mailings of evacuation details and pre positioned traffic cones and signs . When the fire happened residents were alerted to flee by way of loudspeakers from helocopters. Police vehicles using sirens and loud speakers , Cable , regular tv and radio alerts. They evacuated the whole mountain within a few hours. Any persons without means of evacuating were placed on buses or other vehicles. Any vehicles that became disabled were pushed off the road and the occupants placed in another vehicle.
I would think the communities now threatened would have at least preparations as good as those from 14 years ago. The speed and intensity of these kinds of fires is incredible. Racing along the ground while blowing embers far in advance ( sometimes miles ) . The vegetation literally explodes into flames from the out gassing of the plants and trees from the heat.

I dunno. There's body cam of a cop knocking on doors in the midst of flame and smoke in the night. His siren is not on, but his lights are. The college girl had to go back because cars were blocking the road. It sounded like that community, at least, was not at all prepared. I was kind of surprised they were not evacuated at 10PM when the fire was known to be 11 miles away. I guess the wind changed unexpectedly or something, but these things are notoriously difficult to predict.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:42 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Saw this article today, on what to do if you're trapped in your car trying to escape a wildfire.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/tri ... a-wildfire