Active Shooter on Vegas Strip

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:35 am

Shooter on 32nd floor of Mandalay Bay firing automatic rifle into concert below. Info is spotty but I'm seeing sporadic reports of multiple confirmed injuries/casualties, unconfirmed reports of other possible shooters and a possible car bomb/explosives.

Eta* Inital info was saying 20* dead, now saying 2 dead and 24+ injured. Will avoid speculation on numbers until later reports.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

TacAir

Re: Active Shooter on Vegas Strip

Post by TacAir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:24 am

This just exploded across the web, so much of what is being 'reported' my just be hysteria.

Still, a mass shooting in LV is pretty rare.

Will be watching for more focused/accurate local reporting.

Merd

ETA - Interstate shut down and some flight to McCarren diverted. Police asking folks to stay off the strip. Other reports of shootings at other properties.

KVVU - Chanel 5 has live reporting.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:31 am

The beeb is reporting on this, with pictures of the incident. Police currently say the shooter is down and believed to be working alone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41466116

2 Dead and 24 wounded.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:37 am

LEO (LVPD Sheriff) at press briefing is saying 20 dead and 100+ injured, and that the shooter is a local. Also saying that there is no indication of any other shooters/explosives.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:16 am

Video , it sounds like full automatic weapon

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/us/l ... oting.html

ETA rapidly developing story, the video is no longer posted at this link

eta2 different video

https://twitter.com/SchreiberEvan/statu ... 0728911872
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:00 am

John Titor was right

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 am

Las Vegas shooting: 50 people killed in Mandalay Bay attack
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41466116
[emoji20]
Awful.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 am

At least 50 and 200 wounded. Shooter Stephen Paddock is dead. Multiple rifles recovered. I heard an audio clip of the shooting. Full auto, not the distinctive sound of an AK.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 am

I dislike being in a contained crowd setting where I am at the mercy of the multitudes and must rely on organizers (and their hired security) to safeguard my well-being. As Manchester showed, you can have good security in a venue, but be vulnerable outside the venue. This incident shows that being in an open-air setting with elevated sites surrounding the area can make you a fish in a barrel. (I wrote of a similar situation in a draft of a novel a couple of years ago, so this very risk has already occurred to me.)

I heard on NPR this morning that Vegas has only one Level 1 trauma center, and it was overwhelmed. I remember Richard Clarke writing of a Vegas shooting scenario (terrorism, of course, because that's his wheelhouse) back in 2002 or so.
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 am

Have heard of a least one friend-of-a-friend who was killed in the shooting. The number of injured is really astounding, but given the details we know about the density of the crowd and shooter's location, it was certainly picked for maximum effect.

I've seen some of the videos people recorded of the incident. As an aside, I never know how someone has the wherewithal to record this kind of thing while it's happening, but I guess it is worthwhile after the fact. It was certainly a full-auto weapon, but it also sounded like more than 30 rounds per burst to me - some reports were saying that it was possibly a belt-fed gun, but I'll wait to hear from a more official source.

What struck me most in watching the videos was how the bulk of people reacted, and some of the individuals in particular. I understand that they may have been told to hunker down, and not having a good idea of where the fire was coming from, that seems like a decent idea. It may have also been a reasonable decision to encourage people to not leave the venue, supposing that the shooter was outside the venue somewhere, and that there might be more shooters or traps etc. waiting outside. So I can't fault most people for just laying down where they were standing, or the organizers for their heat-of-the-moment decisions. There was an enormous lack of hard cover anywhere for most of the space, but that is exactly what you'd expect for a concert like this. Some people seem to have been a little too inebriated to understand what was going on though, and were just standing up, continuing to drink their beverages, and/or flipping off in the general direction of fire. That seems a little ridiculous to me, even if you know your probability of getting hit is very low.

My best wishes to all those who were injured, directly and indirectly, from this tragedy.

ETA: In the photos/videos I actually see quite a lot of people still holding onto drinks, even while huddling down. I acknowledge that in stressful situations people can unknowingly hold onto things, and undertake other seemingly strange behavior, so I don't want to be overly critical of the people who might have done that. There were not a lot of good options available for those who were in the midst there.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 am

Bad echo but sounds like a 30 round strings on full auto or bump fire, not an AK, probably 5.56. Shooting in to a crowd of people is about as accurate as bump fire gets.
In the photos/videos I actually see quite a lot of people still holding onto drinks, even while huddling down. I acknowledge that in stressful situations people can unknowingly hold onto things, and undertake other seemingly strange behavior, so I don't want to be overly critical of the people who might have done that.
I imagine a good number of them were intoxicated. It is difficult to make good decisions when you are intoxicated. Still he was shooting fish in a barrel so drink or no drink they were screwed either way.

This is a weird one, dude was a former defense contractor and a retiree. Dementia?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:25 am

They found the SOB quickly because - of all things - the smoke detector in his room had gone off shortly after the shooting started.

The 'girlfriend' - actively wanted by the FBI, has been found - outside of the US - has a passport from OZ and is originally from the PI. How she was able to fly out of country will need some explanation.

I understand the resort was sold out, but this guy was able to waltz in only 3 days in advance and get a room facing the venue?

10 guns, 2 shooting positions and had cameras in the hallway to spot the cops when they arrived.

And - of course - shoots himself as the cops make entry. This would be rated as - "Unbelievable" if used as a plot in a Hollywood B grade grinder.

If nothing else the cops are going to tear this apart as it could hurt tourism in a town that exists solely for same.

A reminder, this was almost as bad as a truck attack. Almost. You may remember the recent attack in Nice, France that resulted in the deaths of 86 people and the injury of 458 others.

I suspect the deaths of some and many of the 400+ injuried will be from the crowd stampede. Last week 22 died in a Bombay train station from a panicked crowd.

Merd

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:09 am

Some articles on the Facebook news feed are reporting that ISIS has claimed the shooter as one of theirs and is taking credit for the massacre as usual.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Some articles on the Facebook news feed are reporting that ISIS has claimed the shooter as one of theirs and is taking credit for the massacre as usual.
Anything to be relevant, I guess
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:02 pm

There is no shortage of BS in these kinds of events.

Buzzfeed has a thread on all of the fake Tweets - so far. And people wonder why I eschew the so-called Social Media....

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/ryanha ... -las-vegas

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Shades of Manila, dude was a heavy gambler.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm

From a CNN Article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/02/us/las-ve ... index.html
The suspicion, based on initial reports, is that at least one of the rifles used was altered to function as an automatic weapon, the official said. Among the weapons found were a .223 caliber and a .308 caliber.
Key phrase: "The suspicion, based on initial reports" - leading to my 'suspicion' that the media is wrong and it is much more likely to be a bumpfire or weapon purchased as a full auto
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Press conference update: 59 deceased, over 500 injured. I'm going to go on a limb that many of those injuries are from trying to escape, not just gunfire.

It seems that LEO and .gov are keeping details under wraps and the media is making wild suggestions based on "reports" or "sources" or "could appear to be" type journalism.

Such a tragedy.
Last edited by JeeperCreeper on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:26 pm

Maybe echoes of the sound of gunfire off of surrounding buildings?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:34 pm

quazi wrote:Maybe echoes of the sound of gunfire off of surrounding buildings?
That's exactly what it was when I watched some on a better device. But if someone just listened, it would sound like more than 1. I'm just gonna delete that portion of my above post since I didn't write it properly.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:03 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Some articles on the Facebook news feed are reporting that ISIS has claimed the shooter as one of theirs and is taking credit for the massacre as usual.
Seems to be their MO lately. Bad thing happens and maybe ten minutes later ISIS claims responsibility on their social media accounts.

However, the FBI says that the ISIS connection was false. The murderer was just a whackado who wanted his fifteen minutes of fame by killing people.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Seems to be their MO lately. Bad thing happens and maybe ten minutes later ISIS claims responsibility on their social media accounts.

However, the FBI says that the ISIS connection was false. The murderer was just a whackado who wanted his fifteen minutes of fame by killing people.
Sources?

John Titor was right

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:

Sources?
I think it was the LA Times, but I'm not entirely sure. It also may have been something on Steven Crowder's Facebook page.

I feel like an idiot for posting what I did without fully checking for authenticity. :oops:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Nah It's fine. I just would figure this early in the investigation they wouldn't be ruling anything out. I watched the news conference this afternoon with , what seemed to be everyone official in Las Vegas. They said they found more guns in his home in Mesquite NV, They had found that he owned another home in northern NV that SWAT was about to enter ( at that time ). He had sixteen guns in the hotel room and they found ammonia nitrate in his car. He had at least one AR. The first to respond to his room was hotel security whom he promptly shot one of them. Unsubstantiated... overheard on Fox several times One of the guns was on a tripod in the hotel room . He had set up surveillance cameras in the hallway to watch for approaching police

John Titor was right

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”