It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From ABC (Australia): Bali volcano: Thousands evacuated, travel advisory issued as Mt Agung threatens to erupt
Quote:
Bali volcano: Thousands evacuated, travel advisory issued as Mt Agung threatens to erupt By Indonesia correspondent Adam Harvey, wires. Updated Fri at 8:08am

Australia has issued a new travel advisory for Bali as experts warn the island's enormous volcano, Mt Agung, could erupt soon.

Hundreds of tremors each day are shaking the volcano, and the region's leading vulcanologist has said the probability of an eruption is increasing by the day.

Dr Devy Kamil Syahbana has said tourists should be ready to change their plans if the volcano erupts.

The most likely initial impact of a big eruption is the closure of the island's airport.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said tourists to Bali should reconfirm their trips with their airlines and tour operators.

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said some 9,400 villagers have evacuated from their houses, and were scattered in 50 shelters in the districts of Karangasem, Klungkung and Buleleng.

Mt Agung has not erupted yet and flights to Bali are not affected but an exclusion zone around the volcano is already affecting tours and trekking groups.

Seismic monitoring equipment on the volcano recorded 676 tremors on Thursday caused by lava pushing through layers of rock deep beneath the mountain, and in one six-hour period on Friday morning there were another 178 tremors.

Dr Syahbana, the head of volcano mitigation for eastern Indonesia, said the tremors were coming from inside the volcano.

"Our data shows the number of earthquakes is still increasing, which shows that the magma has very huge energy," he said.

"It means we have to be alert to the situation but we don't need to panic."

He said the earthquakes themselves were evidence of the potential eruption.

"Magma is pushing to all directions, finding the softest path," he said.

"At the moment when the magma succeeds to go in a certain path, it creates an earthquake — it opens the path to go to the surface.

Dr Syahbana is monitoring Mt Agung from an observation station about 12km from the volcano's crater.

He said it was impossible to predict the size of the Agung eruption, if it erupted.

The volcano has not erupted since 1963, when about 1,000 people died.

Dr Syahbana said that eruption was a 5 on the Volcano Explosivity Index (VEI) — a massive eruption that is far bigger than any recent eruptions in Indonesia.

The explosions on Mt Sinabung earlier this year only rated a VEI of 2, Dr Syahbana said.

He said tourists could still come to Bali, but they must be ready if anything changed.

"If something is changing, you need to be prepared for that," he said.

"We're not even sure this volcano will erupt. It's possible for the magma to be exhausted and for this crisis to end. That's the possibility we're hoping for."

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From ABC (Australia) Bali volcano: Water shortage at evacuation centre holding thousands fleeing Mount Agung volcano
Quote:
Bali volcano: Water shortage at evacuation centre holding thousands fleeing Mount Agung volcano By Indonesia correspondent Adam Harvey in Bali, wires Updated about 5 hours ago

Emergency authorities in Bali are struggling to provide enough clean water and amenities for thousands of evacuees from villages close to the Mount Agung volcano that is threatening to erupt for the first time in more than half a century.

Key points:

Balinese authorities issued evacuation notices on Friday

Evacuation centres are filling up, with concerns of resources running out

Nearly 11,300 villagers are officially evacuated

Thousands of villagers on the Indonesian resort island have been sheltering in sports centres, village halls and with relatives after the volcano's alert status was raised to the highest level Friday following a "tremendous increase" in seismic activity.

About 15,000 people were sheltering in Bali's evacuation centres as the island's main volcano threatens to erupt.

There had been a slight drop in the number of tremors shaking Mt Agung, but authorities were still urging all locals to move out of the danger zone and into shelters being set up in nearby villages.

At the Klungkung evacuation centre south of Mt Agung, soldiers from the Indonesian army were preparing rice for the 3,500 villagers who had moved into the site. The evacuees were housed in tents and the local sports hall, sleeping on camp beds and the floor.

Locals said there was a shortage of clean water and not enough toilet facilities at the site, which is one of two main evacuation centres.

Many of the evacuees were worried about the livestock they had been forced to leave behind.

"I'm worried," Ketut Sudi said.

Quote:
"I'm uneasy. I've left my animals up there. My chickens can't eat, my pig can't eat, my cattle can't eat, but thank God I can eat here,"
he said.
Another villager Made Suda said he left overnight with 25 family members to stay in the Klungkung sports centre.

"I feel grief and fear, feel sad about leaving the village and leaving four cows because it's empty. Everyone has evacuated," he said.

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency said no-one should be within 9 kilometres of the crater or within 12 kilometres to the north, northeast, southeast and south-southwest, where lava flows or rapidly moving white-hot ash clouds from an eruption could reach.

He said the real number of displaced might be two or three times that, since many have voluntarily fled their homes.

The head of the organisation in charge of monitoring the volcano said there were fewer tremors yesterday than in the previous days.

"The number of quakes is decreasing, but it can go up again, the trend is increasing, so we still think it's going to erupt," Kasbani, the head of the Centre for Vulcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation, said.

He predicted that any eruption would be quite strong — between 2 and 5 on the volcanic explosivity index. He said the 1884 explosion at Krakatoa in the Sunda Strait was a '6' on the same scale.

'Worried' villagers hope eruption not too damaging

Officials have said there is no current danger to people in other parts of Bali, including the areas popular with Australian tourists.

Bali's Ngurah Rai international airport remains open, with aviation authorities saying that in case of a major eruption they would divert aircraft to five regional airports, including the cities of Surabaya and Yogjakarta on Java.

Planes already on the ground in Bali would be covered to protect the engines from volcanic ash.

Late on Friday night, the alert level for Mt Agung was raised to Level 4 — the highest possible rating. Police and soldiers were tasked with shifting reluctant local villagers.

"I hope the eruption is not too big and hopefully not many houses are destroyed," Wayan Yuniartini, who left his village on Friday night with family members, said.

"I was very worried.

Quote:
"At 11:30pm we said 'we have to leave' and many other people in our area were also leaving."

At the Klungkung centre, evacuee Ni Nyoman Duduk said she had been frightened when she was told to leave her home late on Friday night.

"I was panicked, very panicked and very afraid, when they asked me to move, what can I do.

"I was running as fast as I can, I was told to 'run, go go go', I was surprised, and had to run, obeying the Government."

In its last eruption in 1963, the 3,031-metre Agung hurled ash as high as 10 kilometres and remained active for about a year.

The mountain, 72 kilometres to the northeast of the tourist hotspot of Kuta, is among more than 120 active volcanoes in Indonesia.

The country of thousands of islands is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.

ABC/wires

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:19 pm 

300 earthquakes just on Sunday morning

Located on the east of Indonesia's main island, the volcano - which last erupted back in 1964 - has experienced a major increase in the rate of tremors over recent days.

Fearing an eruption is imminent, the nation's authority raised the alert level up to the highest rating, leaving the holiday hotspot bracing for travel chaos should it explode.

While a radius of nine kilometres and 12 kilometres around the mountain was considered dangerous, the rest of the resort island was considered safe.

Between 50,000 to 60,000 travellers are still flying in and out of the island every day, Ngurah Rai airport general manager Yanus Suprayogi told The Sydney Morning Herald.

Source- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4tdKxluL0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

TacAir wrote:

Located on the east of Indonesia's main island, the volcano - which last erupted back in 1964 - has experienced a major increase in the rate of tremors over recent days.

Fearing an eruption is imminent, the nation's authority raised the alert level up to the highest rating, leaving the holiday hotspot bracing for travel chaos should it explode.

While a radius of nine kilometres and 12 kilometres around the mountain was considered dangerous, the rest of the resort island was considered safe.

Between 50,000 to 60,000 travellers are still flying in and out of the island every day, Ngurah Rai airport general manager Yanus Suprayogi told The Sydney Morning Herald.

What is the problem with these people?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:46 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
TacAir wrote:

IT'S either can't fix stupid or some form of behavior sink.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
TacAir wrote:

IT'S either can't fix stupid or some form of behavior sink.

Some hardcore normalcy bias.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:58 am 

Evacuations are now up to 50K and a 11KM circle around the mountain.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/09/25 ... efore.html

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:24 am 

Untill I saw this thread I had not known this was going on, I've seen nothing in the news about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm 

Barnabus wrote:
Untill I saw this thread I had not known this was going on, I've seen nothing in the news about it.

Ah well, you see thousands of people die in other countries that we don't have much to do with all the time an people in the US don't care much. In this particular case a volcanic eruption is worth keeping an eye on. Just in case it gets really big which could be a world wide disaster or portend other volcanic happenings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:33 pm 

The Indonesian Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation said there has been an increase in volcanic tremors, with a total of 564 recorded Monday.

It's winding up for the pitch....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From ABC (Australia): Mount Agung: Bali volcano's alert status lowered after decreased activity
Quote:
Mount Agung: Bali volcano's alert status lowered after decreased activity

By Indonesia correspondent Samantha Hawley Updated about 8 hours ago

Bali's Mount Agung last erupted in 1963, killing more than 1,000 people.

Since September it's threatened to erupt, forcing more than a 100,000 residents to evacuate and leading to a substantial decline in Bali's tourism industry.

But seismic activity at the Mount Agung volcano has decreased over the past week, leading authorities to reduce the threat level and ordering some evacuees back to their homes.

The volcano last erupted in 1963, killing more than 1,000 people.

On Sunday afternoon, authorities reduced the threat level from dangerous, a level 4, to level 3 or high alert.

The natural giant is not sleeping yet, but the seismic activity is decreasing and the radius of the danger zone has also been reduced.

Six local villages remain in the exclusion zone, about 70 kilometres from the popular Kuta beach.

That's down from 28 villages.

"The last satellite image received indicates the thermal energy is also decreasing," Devy Syahbana, the head of the Meteorological Bureau in Bali, said.

"Visually we have flown a drone two times to the summit of the crater and we have observed at two areas that the intensity of the activity on the crater surface is relatively decreasing."

Authorities in Bali insisted the change in status was driven by the volcano's activity, and no other factors.

Volcano threat hurting tourism

Earlier this month, Bali's Governor Mangku Pastika demanded foreign nations remove travel warnings about the increased volcanic activity.

"I asked them to lift the warning because it is still safe," he said after the island's hotel industry recorded a significant drop in trade as a result of the volcanic activity.

It was reported the holiday island suffered at a least a 2 trillion Rupiah ($200 million) loss.

Why will this volcano cool the air?

When Mount Agung finally erupts in Bali, global atmospheric temperatures will drop. But don't get too exited, it will far from reverse global warming.
The exclusion zone has been decreased from 12 kilometres to 7.5 kilometres and 9 kilometres to 6 kilometres in some areas.

"Those people who live in areas outside of the 6 kilometre zone, those areas are back to normal," the head of Bali's mitigation agency, Dewaq Made Indra, said.

"If you need any help for transportation, please contact us."

More than 47,000 residents can still not return to their homes.

The famous Besakih temple has been removed from the danger zone.

Indonesia's sprawling archipelago is riddled with more than 100 active volcanoes.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From ABC (Australia): Bali volcano: Jetstar and Qantas cancel flights as Mt Agung erupts again
Quote:
Bali volcano: Jetstar and Qantas cancel flights as Mt Agung erupts again

By Indonesia correspondent Adam Harvey, wires

International airlines including Jetstar and Qantas have cancelled flights to and from Bali after the second eruption of Mt Agung in a week, even though Indonesia's disaster management authorities say it's safe to fly to the island.

The latest eruption is significantly stronger than last Tuesday's eruption, with a cloud of steam and pulverised rock driven at least 1,500 metres above the volcano's 3,000-metre peak.

There have been no new evacuations in Bali and a 6 kilometre exclusion zone around the volcano has not been extended.

Ngurah Rai airport in Denpasar remained open on Saturday night but within two hours of the eruption, Jetstar cancelled or diverted four flights heading to Bali as well as five flights due to depart from the island.

Qantas, Virgin and Dutch airline KLM soon followed Jetstar's lead in cancelling flights.

The pulverised rock contained in volcanic ash can cause significant damage to aircraft engines but airlines have different criteria about how close to ash clouds their planes can operate.

Indonesia's Garuda and Air Asia were continuing to use Ngurah Rai airport.

A spokesman for Indonesia's National Disaster Management Agency said the ash cloud was not affecting Denpasar's flight paths and stated that it was still safe to fly in and out of the airport.

About 30,000 evacuees from Mt Agung remain in temporary accommodation. Most of them left their homes in September, when authorities first warned that a major eruption was likely.

Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in total, eight international flights to Bali and 13 international flights departing from Bali were cancelled.

He said about 2,000 people were stranded at the airport.

ABC/AP

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From NPR: Ash Fills The Sky As Bali's Mount Agung Erupts
Quote:
Ash Fills The Sky As Bali's Mount Agung Erupts November 26, 20175:00 AM ET By James Doubek

Clouds of ash filled the air around Bali's Mount Agung after the volcano erupted on Saturday and multiple times on Sunday.

Indonesia's National Disaster Management Authority said dark gray clouds reached heights of more than 13,000 feet in the air around the volcano, located in the east of the Indonesian island.

"Bali is safe just keep away from disaster prone areas," the agency wrote on Twitter.

The government agency warned people within about 4 miles of the volcano to leave. It said ash as thick as half a centimeter was reported in several nearby villages, The Associated Press says, while soldiers and police handed out masks.

"The activity of Mount Agung has entered the magmatic eruption phase, it is still spewing ash at the moment, but we need to monitor and be cautious over the possibility of a strong, explosive eruption," volconologist Gede Suantika told Reuters. Suantika said the volcano could continue releasing ash for a month but he did not expect a major eruption, according to the AP.

Indonesia's Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation issued their highest "red" flight warning, as several flights were canceled on Saturday.

On Sunday, airport authorities told the AP that flights in the area were back to normal.

Mount Agung, which reaches nearly 10,000 feet into the sky and is the highest point in Bali, erupted on Tuesday as well.

About 1,100 people died in the volcano's last major eruption in 1963. In September, more than 140,000 people evacuated following shallow volcanic earthquakes, the wire service says, before the alert was lowered at the end of October. Indonesia has more than 120 active volcanoes.

Bali is a popular destination for tourists, with close to 5 million visitors in 2016, according to the tourism office.

Should this thread be moved to DICE now?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:29 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42132912

Aunty is covering this as well, with some classic footage from the last major eruption.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Thanks Ad'lan.

From ABC (Australia): Bali volcano: Locals fail to evacuate amid warnings of Mt Agung eruption
Quote:
Bali volcano: Locals fail to evacuate amid warnings of Mt Agung eruption By Indonesia correspondent Adam Harvey

Tens of thousands of people living close to Bali's Mt Agung have so far failed to heed official warnings to come in to evacuation shelters.

Bali's evacuation shelters should be full 48 hours after authorities extended a no-go zone around the volcano.

Officials said up to 150,000 people should leave their homes in anticipation of stronger eruptions.

But the temporary shelters are holding nowhere near that number of people. The latest count had just over 30,000 people.

At the biggest camp in Klungkung, about 20 kilometres from Mt Agung, there are just over 1,000 people — a fraction of the number about eight weeks ago.

Some of its residents were here in September and then moved home — they returned in a rush earlier this week when Mt Agung began erupting.

Ketut Kembar, a farmer, said she was frightened when she came down the mountain from her village near Mt Agung after authorities raised the mountain's alert status to level four.

"I was panicked, I only have one motorbike and I have many family members [that needed evacuating]. I was panicking and confused," she said.

She said she was pleased that something appeared to be happening on Mt Agung.

"I feel relieved because what we have been waiting for has finally arrived, after this is over I don't have to be afraid to go home," she said.

Her family is making Hindu offerings to sell to others, and to try to bring a little luck for themselves.

"I ask God that whatever His desire is, it can happen quickly so we can have some relief," she said.

Construction worker Mayan Masta came to the camp with his wife and two boys.

It is his second stint — he also came in September and stayed for 40 days.

"Now, after seeing the eruption, I feel relieved, I hope it is quickly finished so I can go home," he said.

Passengers abandoning airport

At Klungkung, the evacuees cook the camp's food.

Nengah Runiasaih and her five-year-old daughter Melani were slicing tomatoes for the day's meals.

"She often helps," Nengah said, watching as Melani sliced through the vegetables.

Quote:
"We feel sad — hopefully we can go home quick."

Mt Agung's eruptions are getting stronger, and vulcanologists say they are accompanied by strong earth tremors, indicating a bigger eruption is possible at any time.

Late on Tuesday afternoon, a 30-minute string of consistent tremors suggested something was brewing, and vulcanologists told non-essential staff and journalists to leave the volcano monitoring post at Rendang. It is about 12 kilometres from the volcano.

The ash cloud falling over Denpasar grows by the day — and so does the queue of airline passengers wanting to get off the island.

Some are abandoning the wait for the airport to re-open, and they are getting off Bali by bus and ferry to cities like Surabaya, where they will be able to catch flights to hubs like Jakarta or Singapore.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:28 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42163768
Quote:
Flights have resumed from the international airport in Bali after three days of disruption caused by a volcanic ash cloud, officials say.
Layers of ash settled on houses and fields on the Indonesian island after an eruption of Mount Agung.
Up to 100,000 people were ordered to evacuate the vicinity and thousands of tourists have been stranded.
The airport might have to close again if the wind changed direction, officials said.
Not all local people have left - some have insisted on waiting until lava from the crater heads their way.
The massive plumes of dark ash from Mount Agung were seen reaching as high as 3km (2 miles) above its rumbling summit. It began erupting last week.
Officials raised the alert to the highest level on Monday, fearing an imminent major eruption.
They said that although the airport reopened from 15:00 local time (07:00 GMT), it remained necessary constantly to monitor the situation on the ground.

Quote:
Airport spokesman Ari Ahsanurrohim said more than 440 flights were cancelled on Tuesday, affecting nearly 60,000 passengers. A similar number of people were affected on Monday.
Volcanic ash can damage aeroplane engines or even cause them to fail, and also clogs fuel and cooling systems. Pilot visibility can also be hampered.
The airport on neighbouring Lombok island reopened earlier, officials say.

The volcano is about 70km (43 miles) from the popular tourist areas of Kuta and Seminyak.
On Wednesday it was still emitting thick ash clouds in addition to streams of rock mixed with water known as lahar which have also been spotted flowing out of the mountain.
Officials have told everyone living in a 10km (6 miles) exclusion zone around the volcano to evacuate.
So far, only 29,000 people have moved to shelters, while others have fled to nearby places like Lombok.

Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:57 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Oh and very interesting, an explanation by a Volanologist of what you're seeing in the photos.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42133502

Cymro wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mt. Agung eruption seen from space - NASA.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 pm 

Bad things happening.

The airport is reopened but there are 90K tourists trying to escape plus I imagine the wealthy are leaping in to the life boats first.