Columbia Gorge Fire

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Columbia Gorge Fire

Post by Zembecowicz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:54 pm

A juvenile playing with fireworks on the Eagle Creek Trail started a forest fire that's currently 10000 acres in size. A very long stretch of I-84 (the main highway along the Columbia river in Oregon) has been closed due to safety concerns. Several towns have been evacuated and Interstate 84 has been closed between Troutdale (a suburb of Portland) and Hood River. At one point the fire managed to jump across the river into Washington. Schools have either been closed or are running on reduced hours due to air quality in many places.
If the fire itself wasn't bad enough, there are several hydroelectric plants in the area where the fire is burning. I haven't heard anything about high tension lines being threatened by the fire, but it does merit something to be concerned about. While I do have a generator I don't relish the idea of having to use gasoline to keep my food from spoiling.
Also, on a more personal note Eagle Creek is one of my favorite places. The fact that someone's negligence can do something like this makes me very angry.

http://katu.com/news/local/eagle-creek- ... 0000-acres

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Columbia Gorge Fire

Post by Halfapint » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:41 pm

The whole west coast is on fire..... My ex's parents were evac'd out of Roslyn (the set up Northern Exposure), there the LA fire...... And now is ashing in OR and WA (think snowing, but with ash).

I had permit to hike the Enchantments starting 23sept, however the enchantments are now closed. So the 5 of are looking to hike up and bring supplies to the smoke jumpers and try to help out for the week. Fuck..... 16 years I've tried to win the Enchantment lotto, the year I win this happens.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Montana is burning bad right now too, almost 600,000 acres up in smoke since July.

https://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

Sunrise a few days back was truly apocalyptic. Ash drifting down, a hideous green orange cast to everything.

I'm ready for snow...

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:12 pm

A couple Portland suburbs are in a level 1 evac order. I've got lots of friends down there most are not preppers. I typed up an email/facebook message of a list of items to pack up, what to do, and how to plan an evac. I hope most listen.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02 am

No fire locally, but it's been smoky in SE Idaho for days from the Montana fires. Took a ride over to Wyoming and the haze is so thick you couldn't see but a few miles, and then sun was blood red a few hours before sundown.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 am

We aren't anywhere near fires either, but the smoke is unpleasant.
It looks overcast like it's going to rain, and can start to bother the throat if outside for very long.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”