Hurricanes 2017

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Hurricanes 2017

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:Has anyone else ever tried the "beer water"? I can't remember which hurricane we were working, but we ended-up with some after the bottled stuff started to become scarce. All I can say is: yes, its water....yes, it tastes foul.

Yes there is a thread that I wrote in 2007. It was a taste test. The water tasted like muddy water. It as terrible tasting.

Edited to add. The cans I tested were a year or so past the expiration date printed on the cans. They were simple aluminum cans with drinking water printed on the front
Last edited by raptor on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 pm

I never tasted the Budwiser emergency water . But I've had the water canned by the Coca Cola co . after the Northridge quake. Must be the different bottling process's cause while not great, wasn't bad. Certainly not muddy tasting. Somewhere I've got a couple of those cans. Just a Coke can with sticker label DRINKING WATER.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Perhaps the tanks weren't rinsed completely.
That's how they 'invented' HiC... rinsing the juice tanks at the plants.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:29 am

On Tuesday, the office of Florida Gov. Rick Scott confirmed five additional deaths. The Orange County Sheriff's Office announced the death of three people whom "appear to be a family of multiple generations." Fumes from a portable gas generator appears to have been running inside the house, and the individuals were overcome by fumes.

Another person died from carbon monoxide poisoning from improper use of a generator in Miami-Dade County, the mayor said.
Amazing people are still killed by this.
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:13 am

CNBC reports that almost half of Florida's 21 million residents were without power after the storm.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 am

From FEMA:

Tropical Cyclone Jose (CAT 1 Hurricane) (Advisory #32 as of 5:00 a.m. EDT)
• Located 505 miles ENE of the southern Bahamas
• Moving SE at 8 mph; maximum sustained winds 75 mph
• Hurricane force winds extend 25 miles; tropical storm force winds extend 140 miles
• No coastal watches or warnings in effect

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 am

Don't get dizzy looking at this

John Titor was right

Stab74

Post by Stab74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Looks like an Etch-a-Sketch :awesome:
"As previously stated, we want to avoid discussions of illegal activities on this forum, but at the same time we do not want to completely stifle discussion." - Doctor Jest, Moderator

Mod clarification on what constitutes discussion of illegal activities

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 pm

From NPR: Nun With A Chainsaw Becomes Symbol Of Post-Irma Cleanup: 'She Rocks'
Nun With A Chainsaw Becomes Symbol Of Post-Irma Cleanup: 'She Rocks' September 13, 2017 7:55 AM ET By Bill Chappell

The cleanup after Hurricane Irma is a massive undertaking, after the destructive storm hit Florida and neighboring states over the weekend. In Miami, a nun chipped in to clear trees in her neighborhood — and no one, it seems, can resist a story about a chainsaw-wielding nun.

Sister Margaret Ann was spotted at work by an off-duty officer of the Miami-Dade Police Department, which posted video and images from the scene in the community of Kendall West Tuesday.

The department calls the sister's work another sign that Miami's community will work together to repair what Irma broke, writing on its Facebook page, "Thank you Sister and all of our neighbors that are working together to get through this!"

Sister Margaret Ann is the principal of Archbishop Coleman F. Carroll High School, southwest of downtown Miami, which wrote on its Facebook page early Wednesday, "We are so blessed to have her and the Carmelite Sisters at our school. We are proud of the example they show for our students and other members of the community every day."

The phrase "chainsaw-wielding nun" is one we didn't know we would need to use in the wake of Irma, but it shows the breadth of the work it will take to recover from this storm — in Florida, in neighboring states and in the Caribbean.

The nun with a chainsaw habit quickly drew interest beyond Miami. She made headlines in England; CNN interviewed her Tuesday night.

"The road was blocked, we couldn't get through," Sister Margaret Ann told CNN. "And I saw somebody spin in the mud and almost go into a wall, going off the road. So, there was a need, I had the means — so I wanted to help out."

The chainsaws were sitting in a closet at her school, Sister Margaret Ann said, "and they didn't belong there. They needed to be used."

By using the chainsaw, the nun said, she was trying to live up to something her school teaches its students: "Do what you can to help."

Sister Margaret Ann's example resonated online. On the Miami-Dade police page, Annette Zayas wrote a comment saying, "She attends my parish and always has this warm smile with everyone she meets."

People thanked the nun — and discussed the difficulty of handling a chainsaw wearing a habit.

"Somebody made a comment that she was not handling the chainsaw correctly. I was raised 'do the best you can and after the day you can go home proud.' That is all we ask for, she rocks," Eggert Edwald wrote on the Miami-Dade Police page.
It's what you do. No one who went thru Irma is at fault for there simply being a storm, but it happened. It's reality, & you need to deal with it.

It doesn't have to be rocket science. :clownshoes:

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm

flybynight wrote:I never tasted the Budwiser emergency water . But I've had the water canned by the Coca Cola co . after the Northridge quake. Must be the different bottling process's cause while not great, wasn't bad. Certainly not muddy tasting. Somewhere I've got a couple of those cans. Just a Coke can with sticker label DRINKING WATER.
I suspect it was better because Coke specifically bottles water and, to my knowledge, Busch does not.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 pm

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:17 pm

I have said it many times the elderly, infirm and ill should not remain in a disaster zone. If you have family in the above category if at all possible evacuate.

This incident is really due to to the fact that the nursing home did not have an HVAC system due to lack of power.

It is a big building but a few rooms could have been set up with a properly sized HVAC system. That and there was a hospital across the street.

The post storm heat should not be news to anyone in The south. The risk it poses is obvious.

At the risk if being redundant. In a SHTF situation including post disaster, folks you are on your own.

Plan accordingly.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Anianna wrote:
flybynight wrote:I never tasted the Budwiser emergency water . But I've had the water canned by the Coca Cola co . after the Northridge quake. Must be the different bottling process's cause while not great, wasn't bad. Certainly not muddy tasting. Somewhere I've got a couple of those cans. Just a Coke can with sticker label DRINKING WATER.
I suspect it was better because Coke specifically bottles water and, to my knowledge, Busch does not.
Yea soda is like 95% water. The water from the beer companies probably comes from the sterilization rinse just before the beer is put in the can. They just change the cycle so the rinse is not drained ( at least that I would think is what they do . The soda companies just add the water like normal and don't add the syrup.

John Titor was right

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:01 am

I lost track of this thread for a whole week. Well, I've been busy. :-)

AAR from Sarasota, FL:

1) We got damned lucky here. Instead of a Cat 4 coming at us from the Gulf, we got a Cat 2 after it beat up on Miami/the Keys and Naples/Marco Island.

2) If you're going to have equipment, be familiar with it. I spent an hour running around in the rain like a moron because I couldn't find the open breaker on my backup power system. The genset ran well enough, I just wasn't getting juice. When I checked that breaker the third time, I noticed it was open. Dummy.

3) Hurricane shutters and block construction are wonderful things. I certainly would have had more ancillary damage from a Cat 4, but I am confident the house would have made it intact. That is huge.

4) Location, location, location. This being our third house, there were things we were looking for when shopping last year. Not just schools and shopping and interstate access, but also things in event of likely emergencies. Yeah, it takes us 25 minutes to get to the beach, but we are also miles inland and ~30' elevation. Also not near any rivers. Makes a big difference when storm surge and rain is in the forecast.

5) When you have been following ZS for years and taking in all of the sage advice shared here, you are pretty much stocked and ready when Hurricane season begins and you can sit back and watch as everybody else loses their minds over the worsening forecasts. I highly recommend this strategy.

NB: It hasn't gotten as much attention on the news, but some of the Carribean islands got wrecked. My wife's cousin lives in the USVI with her two young sons. Their house survived, albeit with water on the first floor, but the island is destroyed. No green vegetation left, most structures compromised. They evac'd to San Juan and then CONUS. It will be months if not years before they can go home.

Appreciate what you have, and how quickly you can lose it. Two weeks ago they lived in a tropical paradise, now they are refugees. Thank God it was only material possessions, and they are still alive.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 am

Glad to hear that all are well. I've experienced quite a few herricans but have always been in mil housing of some kind when they took place. Been through some bad typhoons as well.

The main takeaway I had from viewing this storm (TV and radio) over the weekend is that I am currently unprepared to easily transfer fuel unless it involves a container and a funnel of some kind. Don't get me wrong; I know how to do it but I lack a long hose that could be used to transfer fuel from an abandoned car, lawnmower, etc. into something I could actually use. So, I am reading up on siphoning.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 am

Asymetryczna wrote:Glad to hear that all are well. I've experienced quite a few herricans but have always been in mil housing of some kind when they took place. Been through some bad typhoons as well.

The main takeaway I had from viewing this storm (TV and radio) over the weekend is that I am currently unprepared to easily transfer fuel unless it involves a container and a funnel of some kind. Don't get me wrong; I know how to do it but I lack a long hose that could be used to transfer fuel from an abandoned car, lawnmower, etc. into something I could actually use. So, I am reading up on siphoning.

Unless you like the taste of gas, try a "jiggle" or "shaker" siphon :mrgreen:

Not fast but pretty effortless. Good for water transfer too.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks. Will visit HF tonight. And get another free flashlight.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 am

5) When you have been following ZS for years and taking in all of the sage advice shared here, you are pretty much stocked and ready when Hurricane season begins and you can sit back and watch as everybody else loses their minds over the worsening forecasts. I highly recommend this strategy.
Definition of what this place is for. Yea it's fun to talk zombies or whatever. But the real world advice on how to prepare , what to do during and after an emergency event, expressed on the pages of this forum , just can't be bought. :clap:

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:45 am

Great Post please do write a follow up thread on what worked and what did not

I am quoting this because there are two lessons I learned about generators a long time ago. This illustrates the point.
airballrad wrote: 2) If you're going to have equipment, be familiar with it. I spent an hour running around in the rain like a moron because I couldn't find the open breaker on my backup power system. The genset ran well enough, I just wasn't getting juice. When I checked that breaker the third time, I noticed it was open. Dummy.
When I go on generator power it almost always at some point in time during the transfer results in a breaker being tripped. As a consequence, I do not have an automatic transfer switch. I intentionally have a manual transfer switch.

I follow this sequence in the transfer process:
1. Shut down the main panel CB and then trip every CB in the sub panels.
2. Start the generator.
3. Check the the CB on the generator to make sure it is not tripped. I have a 120 volt light plugged directly into that generator CB panel so I can see at a distance that the generator is running and producing power feed into the main panel.
4. Transfer from utility power to generator power (operate the manual transfer switch).
5. Close the main CB and then one by one switch on the power starting with the HVAC units. Allow time for the HVAC power surge to start up and operate. Then and only then move on to next switch. (spend some time to label each CB).

If there is any issue, I am standing at the panel and can either not activate that circuit or reset the CB. If the generator light goes out I know that the generator CB has tripped. You cannot rely on sound alone to tell you this.

If you have portable generator you can simply plug a light into the generator to accomplish this. As long as the light is on any fault lies in the house.

This is a bit anal and takes a few extra minutes but it saves time in the long run.

The other point is that every generator has (or should have) a CB on it independent of the panel feed.
This was clearly not the case here but more times that not when the generator engine is running but no power is being produced in an otherwise functional generator, the problem the first thing to check is the generator circuit breaker.
Last edited by raptor on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

grennels

Post by grennels » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:46 am

I wouldn't want to operate a chain saw dressed like that! :shock:
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

grennels

Post by grennels » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:47 am

So - Budweiser water tastes just like Budweiser beer?
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:54 am

grennels wrote:So - Budweiser water tastes just like Budweiser beer?
No, less muddy tasting

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I am not vouching for the veracity of the poster in this link, but it makes and interesting read.

https://medium.com/@justinkray/vidor-te ... e0ad7f505b

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Hurricane Jose.

Tropical disturbance 1 with a 90% chance of development.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”