Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Valarius
* * * * *
Posts: 3226
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:42 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.
Location: Around Nevada.
Contact:

Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Valarius » Fri May 12, 2017 3:29 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/liv ... ve-updates

Keep safe, people. Check in if you can.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Iowa_guy » Fri May 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Biggest takeaway of this attack is if you skipped installing the MARCH Windows Updates you have shot yourself in the foot. A smaller piece is don't click attachments that you are not expecting.....

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16343
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by raptor » Fri May 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Here are some good links on this:

BTW the little bastard is named "Wanna Cry".

Link to MSFT patch
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 7-010.aspx

Note this patch was in a March 14 general update of Windows.
https://securelist.com/blog/incidents/7 ... the-world/
Our analysis indicates the attack, dubbed “WannaCry”, is initiated through an SMBv2 remote code execution in Microsoft Windows. This exploit (codenamed “EternalBlue”) has been made available on the internet through the Shadowbrokers dump on April 14th, 2017 and patched by Microsoft on March 14.

User avatar
Anianna
* * * * *
Posts: 4684
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:54 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Anianna » Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:Biggest takeaway of this attack is if you skipped installing the MARCH Windows Updates you have shot yourself in the foot. A smaller piece is don't click attachments that you are not expecting.....
Also, backup your data to an external hard drive or flash drive. If you keep offline copies of your data (docs, pics, vids, etc), they don't have anything to hold hostage.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12451
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 16, 2017 2:57 am

Some are saying the NORKs are behind it all:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in- ... spartanntp

In good news they are holding Johnny Depp hostage. So we don't have to exposed to that again:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/ha ... spartanntp
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Iowa_guy » Tue May 16, 2017 8:44 am

Anianna wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:Biggest takeaway of this attack is if you skipped installing the MARCH Windows Updates you have shot yourself in the foot. A smaller piece is don't click attachments that you are not expecting.....
Also, backup your data to an external hard drive or flash drive. If you keep offline copies of your data (docs, pics, vids, etc), they don't have anything to hold hostage.

Yes a non-connected backup that meets your recovery objectives is important as well. Biggest issue for people (and often businesses) is their offline backup is infrequently updated and/or is a file level backup that will still need lots of work to fully recover to. (Loading OS and Apps)

User avatar
Thund888
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am Legend

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Thund888 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:53 am

Stercutus wrote:
In good news they are holding Johnny Depp hostage. So we don't have to exposed to that again:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/ha ... spartanntp
Talking about Depp, he's currently selling one of his luxury mansions in French Riviera (shame he didn't film anything there, looks awesome and the perfect interiors for a ghost movie and woulf even be fine for the Pirates https://tranio.com/france/adt/1635106/ Probably he's got some money issues, otherwise I can't see why he contributed to its design himself and then sold out of the blue. just seems strange. And how I wish the Pirates thing would be over soon. They say the latest movie closes all the unanswered mysteries of the previous, so there is hope.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16343
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by raptor » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

It appears as though the wanna cry authors may shed some tears. Their deadline is looming and they have received "just 296 payments had been made as of Monday 22nd May, netting the perpetrators 48.86 Bitcoins -- a figure worth approximately $104,436. This mean means under 0.1 percent of victims paid up."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wannacry-r ... ew-pay-up/

Meanwhile they have a of worldwide governments really pissed off.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12451
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 22, 2017 8:28 pm

raptor wrote:It appears as though the wanna cry authors may shed some tears. Their deadline is looming and they have received "just 296 payments had been made as of Monday 22nd May, netting the perpetrators 48.86 Bitcoins -- a figure worth approximately $104,436. This mean means under 0.1 percent of victims paid up."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/wannacry-r ... ew-pay-up/

Meanwhile they have a of worldwide governments really pissed off.
That comes to 93,600,000 North Korean Won. More than enough to buy a 100bs of rice. That will last all year.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

User avatar
Iowa_guy
* * *
Posts: 372
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:35 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: Central Iowa

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Iowa_guy » Tue May 23, 2017 12:59 pm

If it was the NORKS good luck spending the money on anything as they continue to tighten the grip on things being imported.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 12451
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Bouncing in to Graceland

Re: Massive global cyberattack; live updates

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:If it was the NORKS good luck spending the money on anything as they continue to tighten the grip on things being imported.
Russia opened up a ferry as cover for black market goods. Paying bitcoins for ICBM parts may be dicey. How do you know you are getting the real stuff?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Post Reply

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”