How did Venezuela end up this way?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: How did Venezuela end up this way?

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:20 pm

LowKey wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:38 pm
It's been well over a year since he last posted, and while I'm sure he has lots of other more urgent things to concern him than posting here....has anyone heard from DoctorCandelario lately?
DoctorCandelario - Last active: Wed May 03, 2017 2:15 pm

I hope he's ok.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:20 am

From the AP website: Pompeo discusses Venezuela response with Colombia, Brazil
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is pledging to support allies in South America as they respond to the crisis in Venezuela.

In remarks Wednesday in Brazil, Pompeo said he and Brazilian Foreign Minister Ernesto Araujo discussed their “deep desire to return democracy” to Venezuela.

Later in Colombia, Pompeo said he discussed with President Ivan Duque how their nations might collaborate to help people in Venezuela while also responding to the flood of migrants fleeing that country’s economic collapse, though he provided few details on what was discussed.

Pompeo’s remarks drew a rebuke from Venezuela’s foreign ministry, which issued a statement accusing the secretary of having an “interventionist attitude.”

Relations between Colombia and Venezuela have increasingly soured as Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s inauguration for a contested new term approaches.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am

LowKey wrote:
It's been well over a year since he last posted, and while I'm sure he has lots of other more urgent things to concern him than posting here....has anyone heard from DoctorCandelario lately?
Too bad we couldn't have had an exit interview with Browning, Kathy, Chicago Zombie and all of the other missing members
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:27 pm

While that might have been nice and while some of them may have left under less than ideal circumstances, I'm pretty confident that none of them dropped off the board while actually living in Venezuela during what amounts to a civil war.

My query was based on an actual concern that his absence here might be due to him pushing up daisies as a result of the violence down there, or that he may be locked up as a dissenter.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:59 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am
LowKey wrote:
Too bad we couldn't have had an exit interview with Browning, Kathy, Chicago Zombie and all of the other missing members
Browning was banned, Kathy … ummm Just looking at the last posts by her causes me to assume she either felt uncomfortable or was told in private to vamonos . No idea about CZ. Shame too. Other than Woods Walker no other member has contributed as much info as CZ has to this site.

I also wonder how much of meat world politics is influencing what people as a whole in this country are contributing.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 am

From NPR: Venezuelan Supreme Court Judge Denounces Maduro Government, Flees To U.S.
A Venezuelan Supreme Court judge who once supported President Nicolás Maduro has fled to the United States and publicly denounced Maduro's re-election days before the inauguration.

Justice Christian Zerpa left Venezuela with his wife and two daughters, according to Miami broadcaster EVTV. Their destination in the U.S. was unclear.

Zerpa met a reporter in Orlando and told the outlet, "I think the president, Nicolás Maduro, does not deserve a second chance because the election he supposedly won was not a free election, was not a competitive election."

Maduro won the May 2018 race amid widespread accusations of fraud. He will begin his second term on Thursday.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 pm

From i24 News. Published on Jan 11, 2019.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Slightly more important post today.

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 pm

From NPR: Who Is Venezuela's Juan Guaidó?
Backstory: Why Venezuela's Military May Be Standing By Maduro, For Now
Venezuelan Opposition Leader Guaidó Declares Himself President, With U.S. Backing

Juan Guaidó is whom your government is recognizing as Venezula's ligitimite leader. AFAIK, the US has not named anyone. So far.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 am

Looks like the end game is getting closer.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/americas ... index.html

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:34 pm

From Bloomberg: Trump Slaps De-Facto Oil Ban on Venezuela
Maduro and Guaido, a 35-year-old engineer-turned-lawmaker, are now locked in a struggle for support in the streets, the military and the country’s mainstay oil industry. Guaido so far hasn’t been able to sway the armed forces to his side but he’s tapped deep public discontent with an economy beset by hyperinflation spiraling at an annual rate of about 225,000 percent and vast shortages of food and medicine.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:20 pm

From Bloomberg: The Standoff in Venezuela, Explained

This is a 'quick reference' to this situation.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am

From Bloomberg: Venezuela's Rank-and-File Soldiers Have Been Deserting in Droves
About 4,300 national guardsmen have left in the past 5 years - Active and reserve military barred from leaving the country
I'm not surprised & I don't think anyone else is either.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:44 pm

The beginning of the end or the end of the beginning?

Deadly Violence Erupts on Brazil Boarder in Venezuela Aid Showdown
CARACAS, Venezuela — The political showdown convulsing Venezuela escalated into deadly violence near the border with Brazil on Friday, as security forces fired on a group of indigenous Venezuelans protesting the government’s determination to block aid deliveries from outside the country.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:21 pm

Maduro blocking the aid is all over my channels. Multiple stories everyday. It is becoming difficult to keep up.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am
From Bloomberg: Venezuela's Rank-and-File Soldiers Have Been Deserting in Droves
About 4,300 national guardsmen have left in the past 5 years - Active and reserve military barred from leaving the country
True but important to note that the Guardia Nacional is not the same as the US National Guard. They were more of a paramilitary police force with infantry rifles and armored cars. I infer that they were pretty corrupt because a senior NCO (really nice guy) invited my little kids to his little kid's birthday. It was over the top. A parking lot full of rented pedal cars and trikes to ride around in, bouncy castle, crepes on a stick station, half a dozen chirpy teenagers to lead the kids in games and dances, tequeños stations, mini beef Wellington for adults, and he must have gone through two cases of Buchanan’s 12 year old deluxe whisky for the fathers.

I also did reports on a couple of GN colonels who got snatched and murdered. The nature of the bodies conditions were meant to send a message.

The problem with dictators like Chavez, Maduro, Duarté and the like is that they don't totally trust the military so they form citizen militias, dignity battalions and other irregulars they can whip up into a frenzy to save their asses. Meet the Bolivarian Militia.Image
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:01 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:44 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:07 am
True but important to note that the Guardia Nacional is not the same as the US National Guard. They were more of a paramilitary police force with infantry rifles and armored cars. I infer that they were pretty corrupt because a senior NCO (really nice guy) invited my little kids to his little kid's birthday. It was over the top. A parking lot full of rented pedal cars and trikes to ride around in, bouncy castle, crepes on a stick station, half a dozen chirpy teenagers to lead the kids in games and dances, tequeños stations, mini beef Wellington for adults, and he must have gone through two cases of Buchanan’s 12 year old deluxe whisky for the fathers.

I also did reports on a couple of GN colonels who got snatched and murdered. The nature of the bodies conditions were meant to send a message.

The problem with dictators like Chavez, Maduro, Duarté and the like is that they don't totally trust the military so they form citizen militias, dignity battalions and other irregulars they can whip up into a frenzy to save their asses. Meet the Bolivarian Militia.Image
Kinda-sorta Brownshirt-ity like?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Venezuelan soldiers, in small numbers and near the border, seem less inclined to fully support Maduro. We will see how this continues to unfold. This could be the beginning of the end? Or it could be the beginning of a more violent split and confrontation?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/venezuela ... ian-border
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 pm
Venezuelan soldiers, in small numbers and near the border, seem less inclined to fully support Maduro. We will see how this continues to unfold. This could be the beginning of the end? Or it could be the beginning of a more violent split and confrontation?

Friends don't let friends listen to FOX News.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:34 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Friends don't let friends listen to FOX News.
Haha! Thanks! I get a whole bunch of news agencies which pop up on my phone. Fox happened to be the one publishing that story. I read NPR too ;) I also read National Review, CNN, and The Atlantic. Others too. I feel like I'm pretty diverse. But thanks for letting me know I have friends! What I read depends on who is covering a story or issue.

I"m mad as can be at the New York Times, and pretty irritated with Business Insider. Otherwise, anybody talking about something that interests me, I"m willing to read.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:45 pm

ABC News Update: Venezuelan troops open fire on citizens crossing into Columbia. 2 US aid trucks burned.

I am unable to post the link to the episode. :?: :?

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:01 pm
Kinda-sorta Brownshirt-ity like?
The color is just a coincidence. As you can see most of them are pensioners and campesinos. The real Strumabteilung of Chavismo are the colectivos, violent motorcycle gangs with a Bolivarian patina. Image

These are the real Stormtroopers.

"The collectives will seize Caracas in defense of the revolution."

Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:45 pm
ABC News Update: Venezuelan troops open fire on citizens crossing into Columbia. 2 US aid trucks burned.

Friends don't let friends read ABC
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:02 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:45 pm

Friends don't let friends read ABC.
It was a podcast. I listened to it. :mrgreen:

Defectors fear for families under Maduro

The time to leave was long ago.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Venezuelan nationwide blackout goes into its fourth day.

http://news.trust.org/item/20190310192645-05cu4

CARACAS, March 10 (Reuters) - Furious Venezuelans lined up to buy water and fuel on Sunday as the country entered a fourth day of a nationwide blackout that has left already-scarce food rotting in shops, homes suffering for lack of water and cell phones without reception.

Authorities have managed to provide only patchy access to power since the outage began on Thursday in what President Nicolas Maduro called an act of U.S.-backed sabotage, but critics insist it is the result of incompetence and corruption.

With no coherent official explanation of the problem or likely time frame for solving it, Venezuelans, who have for years found ways to laugh about the privations of the economic crisis, are now fretting that the blackout could extend indefinitely.

The country's worst-ever power outage comes as Maduro faces a hyperinflationary economic collapse and an unprecedented political crisis. Opposition leader Juan Guaido in January invoked the constitution to assume the presidency after declaring Maduro's 2018 re-election a fraud.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”