West Coast Is About To Get Pummeled!

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: West Coast Is About To Get Pummeled!

Post by teotwaki » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Today's storm seems impressive outdoors with the high winds pushing the rain around. The graphs from the river show it is not yet as severe as the late January storm

Today

January
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 am

Your storms are making the news here in the UK, which makes a change from the politics :)

It's being reported that they have hit southern California hardest. That's the bit that was still in drought, IIRC, so hopefully once the immediate effects have passed it will help a bit with that?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:22 am

My brother is in the middle of all that. I'm hoping this opens his eyes to the need to be more prepared. He and his wife had were unable to make it home and had to find friends to stay with. He is wearing a friend's clothes because his got drenched. I figure a car bag would have solved a lot of issues. It has also sparked some converstation with my wife on the subject, which is good. She likes to say "but I have you Mr. Woodsghost." And I reply that my brother's wife almost did not have him. Special circumstances allowed him to get to her right before things became unpassable.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:00 am

sheddi wrote:Your storms are making the news here in the UK, which makes a change from the politics :)

It's being reported that they have hit southern California hardest. That's the bit that was still in drought, IIRC, so hopefully once the immediate effects have passed it will help a bit with that?

Our media is obsessed with selling print or getting clicks. I wouldn't mind if the storms washed them and Hollywood far out to sea. :words:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

woodsghost wrote:My brother is in the middle of all that. I'm hoping this opens his eyes to the need to be more prepared. He and his wife had were unable to make it home and had to find friends to stay with. He is wearing a friend's clothes because his got drenched. I figure a car bag would have solved a lot of issues. It has also sparked some converstation with my wife on the subject, which is good. She likes to say "but I have you Mr. Woodsghost." And I reply that my brother's wife almost did not have him. Special circumstances allowed him to get to her right before things became unpassable.
You should send him some links to a really vanilla car kit from the Red Cross or other neutral agency. Plant the seed :shock:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:09 pm

From WHO NewsRadio 1040 AM via Twitter:
At least two people are dead after a powerful storm whipped through Southern California. Friday's rain storm packed 70 m.p.h. winds in some places, and caused flooding and mudslides. The winds are blamed for knocking down power lines along a busy Los Angeles boulevard, landing on a car and electrocuting the driver.

Flood waters on Interstate 5 near Los Angeles were up to five feet. Firefighters in San Bernardino County say one motorist died when their car was submerged in rising floodwaters. Los Angeles authorities say two cars got swallowed by a 20-foot sinkhole after Friday's big storm. The sinkhole opened in Studio City Friday night. The Los Angeles City Fire Department says a person was trapped in one of the vehicles, rescued by firefighters and rushed to a hospital. It's not known if there were any injuries.

The weather is forcing the suspension of the second round of the Genesis Open in Los Angeles. The PGA players managed to get in more than five hours of play at the Riviera Country Club before the rain sent everyone into the clubhouse Friday. Play is set to resume this morning.
This does not bode well for the Oroville Dam.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:48 pm

NWS Raliegh, N.C. via Twitter: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4_A71IWEAAbZwG.jpg:large This may (or, may not) explain things.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:52 pm

From WHO TV 13, Des Moines (DSM), Iowa via Twitter:
CALIFORNIA -- Southern California is currently facing what forecasters are calling the most powerful storm of the season.

Winter was already historic in the area, but now the region is bracing for mudslides, flash flooding, and powerful wind gusts, reports NBC's Miguel Almaguer.

The storm has unleashed an entire month's worth of rain in a single day, turning many roads into rivers. Even worse is that the weather is just getting started.

In the Los Angeles suburbs, 180 mandatory evacuations have already been ordered. Some areas have been hit by mudslides and could be buried again.

Chuck Fischer said the water-logged hills behind his home could crumble at any moment.

"I expect a mudflow and I expect it to come through here," he said.

With 10 inches of rain expected in the mountains, 21 million people are under a flash flood watch.

Swift water rescue teams have been trained for this type of situation, which sees cars sliding off the roads.

The surf is up, trees are down, and power is out across the region, and the storm is still expected to drop around 10 trillion gallons of water across the already water-logged state.

At the Oroville Dam in northern California, officials are racing to make room for 10 inches of rain after the emergency spillway showed signs of failure this week, prompting mass evacuations. The area is reportedly still operating under an emergency situation.

The most serious threat remains in the lower region of the state.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:21 pm

CBC News Alert via Twitter:
UPDATED
3 dead after torrents of rain hit Southern California
Southern California rain eases, but north facing renewed storm
The Associated Press Posted: Feb 18, 2017 8:15 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 18, 2017 6:49 PM ET

What to know about California's failing Oroville Dam:

California dam evacuees can return home, but may have to leave again. California storms leave 4 dead, state of emergency declared in 50 counties. Northern Nevada, California hit by heavy rains, mudslides. A huge Pacific storm that parked itself over Southern California and unloaded — ravaging roads, opening sinkholes and leading to the deaths of at least three people — eased off Saturday. But it was only a temporary reprieve as new storms took aim farther north.

The National Weather Service predicted drying weather through Sunday followed by the return of wet weather in the region. But while flash-flood watches for Southern California were cancelled, Northern California and the San Francisco Bay Area were facing a weekend return of heavy rain and winds that lashed them earlier in the week before the storm moves out.

USA-WEATHER/
A woman battles the wind in Los Angeles. The region seemed to avoid any major disasters. (Ringo Chiu/Reuters)

"Stronger southerly winds and widespread flooding will be likely as an atmospheric river [of moisture] takes aim somewhere along the central California Coast," a weather statement warned.

The approaching rain could cause more problems in the far north where damage to spillways of the Lake Oroville dam forced evacuation of 188,000 people last weekend. As of Saturday, the lake's water elevation had fallen more than 45 feet.

What to know about California's failing Oroville Dam
Meanwhile, authorities up and down the state were dealing with the fallout, including overflowing creeks, mudslide threats in foothill areas denuded by previous fires, road collapses and hundreds of toppled trees in neighbourhoods.

Elementary school fills with water

Northwest of Sacramento, nearly 200 people were forced to flee Saturday as overflowing creeks turned the town of Maxwell into a brown pond. Fire Chief Kenny Cohen said nearly 100 homes and the elementary school filled with about 50 mm of water before the water began receding.

No injuries were reported.

California Storms
The storm parked itself over southern California on Friday. Here, a woman braves the rain at Seal Beach. (Jae C. Hong/Associated Press)

Southern California appeared to dodge any major disasters, but in the desert town of Victorville, several cars were washed down a flooded street, and one man was found dead in a submerged vehicle after others were rescued, San Bernardino County Fire spokesman Eric Sherwin said.

And in the Sherman Oaks area of Los Angeles, a man was electrocuted when a tree falling in heavy rain downed power lines that hit his car.

Body found in creek

On Saturday, searchers found the body of a man in his 20s who was swept down a rain-swollen gully in Thousand Oaks a day earlier. KCBS-TV reported that the body was found in Arroyo Conejo Creek.

California Storms
Strong winds caused this tree to crash into a carport and vehicles in the Santa Barbara suburb of Goleta. (Mike Eliason/Santa Barbara County Fire Department via AP)

In the Studio City area of Los Angeles, a sinkhole swallowed two cars, the second on live TV as viewers watched it teeter on the edge before plunging in. One driver was taken to the hospital in fair condition.

Inland at the Cajon Pass, the shoulder of Interstate 15 crumbled and sent a parked fire truck spilling over the side, but no one was hurt. The California Department of Transportation estimated emergency repairs to the freeway would cost $3 million ($3.93 Cdn).

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:48 pm

From Reuters via Twitter:
By Alex Dobuzinskis | LOS ANGELES
Southern California cleaned up on Saturday after its biggest storm in years unleashed a wave of rain and snow that killed at least three people and triggered flooding, mudslides, high winds and power outages, officials said.

Vital highways and railways were shut down and sinkholes opened on main roads under the heaviest rainfall in the drought-stricken region in at least five years, according to the National Weather Service.

In one of wettest spots near Santa Barbara, over 10 inches (25 cm) of rain fell on Friday with several other stations in Southern California reporting at least 9 inches (23 cm), said meteorologist Patrick Burke of the Weather Prediction Center.

"It's been a very active winter and rainy season for the entire state of California," Burke said. "They needed that because of the drought. But sometimes droughts end with a flood and we've gone from one extreme to the other."

By Saturday afternoon, the storm had moved east into Nevada and Arizona. Northern California will be walloped with more rain and snow beginning on Sunday, with 4 to 8 inches (10 cm to 20 cm) of precipitation expected in the coastal mountains, Burke said.

Meanwhile, utility crews worked to restore electricity to tens of thousands of customers affected by power outages throughout the Los Angeles area on Saturday.

One man died on Friday after he was electrocuted by a downed wire, the Los Angeles Fire Department said. Another person was found dead in a submerged vehicle in Victorville, about 85 miles (137 km) northeast of Los Angeles, fire officials said.

And the body of a man was discovered on Saturday morning in a creek in Thousand Oaks, 40 miles (64 km) west of downtown Los Angeles, after he was swept away by floodwaters, the Ventura County Sheriff's Office said.

Local television news also showed video footage of a San Bernardino County fire truck tumbling over the side of a freeway as the road gave out.

"All firefighters confirmed safe," the San Bernardino County Fire Department said on Twitter.

Near Ventura, California, a mudslide on Friday forced the closure of a stretch of the northbound 101 Freeway, officials said. Amtrak railroad service was suspended from Los Angeles north to San Luis Obispo on Saturday due to extreme weather conditions, according to the transportation service's website.

Residents of about 180 homes in Duarte, a city about 20 miles (32 km) east of Los Angeles, were ordered to evacuate on Friday because of a potential for mudslides. But the threat subsided and officials lifted the evacuation order on Saturday.

(Reporting by Brendan O'Brien in Milwaukee; Editing by Paul Simao and Mary Milliken)

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:26 pm

My brother and his wife bugged out to Arizona where she has relatives. I"m glad for that.

I"m thinking when this blows over my wife and I will find some ~$10 backpacks, put travel toiletry kits in them, maybe a few cheap extra pieces (sunscreen? hand sanitizer?, and a note in each of them that says:
Please; I still need:

Socks
Underwear
A shirt
Pants
A bottle of water
Snack bars

And put me in your car. Thanks!!!! You complete me!
Any other ideas? I know they can't put too much that is valuable in them. He has had stuff stolen.

Any ideas on cheap stuff that could be put in there and mailed?

Thanks!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

CG

Post by CG » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:01 pm

woodsghost wrote:My brother and his wife bugged out to Arizona where she has relatives. I"m glad for that.

I"m thinking when this blows over my wife and I will find some ~$10 backpacks, put travel toiletry kits in them, maybe a few cheap extra pieces (sunscreen? hand sanitizer?, and a note in each of them that says:
Please; I still need:

Socks
Underwear
A shirt
Pants
A bottle of water
Snack bars

And put me in your car. Thanks!!!! You complete me!
Any other ideas? I know they can't put too much that is valuable in them. He has had stuff stolen.

Any ideas on cheap stuff that could be put in there and mailed?

Thanks!
One of the Duracell phone battery chargers that comes already charged (although that might be something that gets stolen - maybe just a USB cable?).
Add to note - An old pair of shoes (in case theirs are wet).
A small towel or washrag, or baby wipes.
Chapstick.
Sunglasses.
If they wear glasses, the little cleaning cloths. If they wear contacts, a mini-bottle of solution and case.
Kleenex packets (they're flat and double as emergency TP!)
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Wood:

Maybe instead of the phone chargers, you could find out what kinds of phones they have & get the appropriate car/wall charges that they would need. Maybe a pre-charged battery for that make/model phone? Those things would only be good for those phones, but then anything can be stolen.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Remember lithium batteries can't be sent by mail. I think hand sanitizer either.

https://about.usps.com/publications/pub ... -items.htm
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 pm

So I just had a great conversation with my brother. The recent crazy in the LA area shook him up and he wants some simple basics to be more prepared. Most significantly he wants the revolver I gave him but he never actually took out there. I've shipped enough guns to know the process and get it to an FFL he likes. I'll also scramble to get those gift bags/car bags assembled for him. Thanks for the advice!

Like many of us, he is focused on the pistol and the security, rather than the food, water, medicine, and lighting he would likely need for an earth quake or other likely disaster :) But it's a start! And we all start somewhere. I suspect most of us started with a gun and worked outwards from there.

Thanks for the advice and help y'all! Let me know through posts or PMs if anybody has any other advice.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:57 pm

woodsghost wrote:So I just had a great conversation with my brother. The recent crazy in the LA area shook him up and he wants some simple basics to be more prepared. Most significantly he wants the revolver I gave him but he never actually took out there. I've shipped enough guns to know the process and get it to an FFL he likes. I'll also scramble to get those gift bags/car bags assembled for him. Thanks for the advice!

Like many of us, he is focused on the pistol and the security, rather than the food, water, medicine, and lighting he would likely need for an earth quake or other likely disaster :) But it's a start! And we all start somewhere. I suspect most of us started with a gun and worked outwards from there.

Thanks for the advice and help y'all! Let me know through posts or PMs if anybody has any other advice.
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ :roll:

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:26 pm

WTF Cali! A Taurus Model 82 is not importable? I"ll figure something out. Likely with a different gun.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:57 pm

woodsghost wrote:WTF Cali! A Taurus Model 82 is not importable? I"ll figure something out. Likely with a different gun.
I Just saw the other day, a members sig line that said something to the effect "telling someone to just move is churlish". But some places are just.. lost

John Titor was right

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 am

flybynight wrote:
woodsghost wrote:WTF Cali! A Taurus Model 82 is not importable? I"ll figure something out. Likely with a different gun.
I Just saw the other day, a members sig line that said something to the effect "telling someone to just move is churlish". But some places are just.. lost
Ca-lostafornia!!! :mrgreen:

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:45 pm

teotwaki wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Ca-lostafornia!!! :mrgreen:
Oooh, does that mean we can remove it with a CAlostomy? :crazy:
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”