July 3, 2016 Daesh bombing in Baghdad

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KGBrick

July 3, 2016 Daesh bombing in Baghdad

Post by KGBrick » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:02 pm

So I'm hearing some interesting and disturbing things about this bombing (of course the media needs those clicks - joke's on them though - I see advertisements only when I want to) and I can't seem to find any sources I trust that give better than incredibly vague information on the part that concerns me the most.

First, the story that made me curious:
Iraq violence: Did IS use new type of bomb for deadliest attack?

Most relevant parts of the article:
The BBC wrote:
...But the scene of the deadliest ever attack carried out by so-called Islamic State (IS) anywhere in the world is still a makeshift shrine. On 3 July, 292 Iraqis lost their lives here...

...But the explosion in Baghdad's Karrada neighbourhood was no ordinary bomb. From its design to its destination, this attack underlines that IS has found a new way to inflict harm and cause terror.
"Daesh used, for the first time, a new tactic which helped it to move undetected through checkpoints," a Western security source in Baghdad tells me, using the name for IS more commonly used in the region.
"We've never seen it before, and it's very worrying."

'Unique' chemical mix

Precise details of the attack, which is under Iraqi investigation, are still being pieced together...
...but this one is said to differ in the way the explosives were placed in the van, and how the chemicals were put together.
"It's really difficult to make," an explosives expert who has knowledge of the investigation explained, saying the device may have been developed in the Iraqi city of Falluja when it was under IS control.
"Daesh has given a lot of thought to how to move through checkpoints."
The bomb-makers are believed to have taken a formula "available on the internet", and then adjusted the quantities to reduce its risk of detection, and increase its impact.
Several Iraqi experts also described the mix of chemicals as "unique".
"We are used to big fires but the chemicals in this bomb were used for the first time in Iraq," says Brigadier General Kadhim Bashir Saleh of the Civil Defense Force.
"It was unique, strange, and terrible."
Another Iraqi security expert, Hisham al-Hashimi, told me he believes a similar mix of explosives may have been used, only once, in an attack by al-Qaeda in 2004.
(Hopefully that isn't too hard to parse - the original was unnecessarily long and double spaced to boot.)

Okay, so the points that I'm concerned/curious about:
1) What information do we have about this quote-unquote new bomb. Are they implying a thermobaric bomb of some sort was used? Is my memory fooling me when I recollect something about thermobaric weapons requiring pretty sharp engineering (if not also manufacturing) to work correctly? I think I glanced at another article that was either dated or from a less reputable source that implied the bomb produced little shrapnel - this matches my understanding of thermobaric weapons.
2) If this wasn't a thermobaric weapon, what actually makes it special? Novel (for VBIED) chemistry? Chemistry that makes use of benign or very readily-available ingredients?
3) What makes this chemistry or design of bomb so much more concealable? I saw a mention of the use of a refrigerated truck as the transport in another article. Might that be part of the issue? Mostly sealed, kept cold to reduce outgassing of any volatiles, perhaps also not opened to be inspected?

I don't know what I can say about the continued use of (homeopathic? dowsing-based? snake oil? bullshit?) "Bomb detectors." That something like 90% of victims died due to secondary fires because the exits were obstructed is disgusting but I gather fire safety varies from awful to nonexistent in that part of the world. These are lessons to learn from but I doubt many ZHers are in that bad a shape with safety.

Anyone have ideas or less foggy sources? Some folks that seem to know more than they're letting on about the technology seem concerned it could be applicable in western countries.

P.S., let's try to remember the rules and avoid an excess of specifics about the device itself.

P.P.S, sorry if I'm hard to follow or something. I'm in the negative on sleep.

Stercutus

Re: July 3, 2016 Daesh bombing in Baghdad

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:53 pm

Any discussion of the bomb or any other explosives is against the rules and draws unneeded attention from LEA and intelligence collection agencies.

I am not going to go a lot into bomb detectors either. I do recall that many Iraqi police and military units were issued a "bomb detector" that was essentially a box with batteries and LED lights. These were issued outside of the US supply chain and primarily used to redirect cash from the government to favored supporters. The senior leadership was well aware of the problem but the line soldiers were properly propagandized that the things worked.

There are devices which can detect bomb chemical components. You see them at airports and other security check points.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:47 pm

This. Plus you can't just rely on dogs. They get tired just like you would and especially in 130 degree heat.

I am not going to go a lot into bomb detectors either. I do recall that many Iraqi police and military units were issued a "bomb detector" that was essentially a box with batteries and LED lights. These were issued outside of the US supply chain and primarily used to redirect cash from the government to favored supporters. The senior leadership was well aware of the problem but the line soldiers were properly propagandized that the things worked.

There are devices which can detect bomb chemical components. You see them at airports and other security check points.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 pm

Any discussion, including trying to understand an enemy's capabilities when they might be evolving? I realize I am stepping near an uncomfortable line but the rules thread itself doesn't seem to say, upon my fourth or fifth examination of them today, that I've yet crossed it. None of us here thrive in mushroom conditions - the thing between our ears is our best defense yet it works poorly without information. I'll admit though that I can't remember the last time I saw a mod expand upon the 'no explosives talk' rule enough to cover my purpose here - possibly you are correct and the rules thread just needs updating.

I'm aware that real electronic bomb detectors exist - I was not, however, aware that tens of millions of dollars of phone ones had been sold and were in use for years after it became known they were phony. Turns out the British fellow who owned or was in charge of the company selling them won't see daylight for about a decade - something about willfully endangering lives. Kind of a shame they didn't or couldn't treat it as multiple counts of the same crime, but that's life.

Dogs seem like they might be a decent solution to problems with acquiring expensive tech. Yes, they take money and time to train, but after you learn how to do that it could be done in-house instead of outsourcing things to a country where people charge a hell of a lot more money for their services. This is assuming you could maintain quality and avoid corruption... but it would be hard to do worse than a black box with an LED, battery, and a switch.

Not knowing anything about this advance in Daesh's technology, particularly why people seemed worried that it could be made use of in more peaceful countries, still concerns me. I'll go quietly if a mod slaps me down, but I think this discussion has merit for disaster preparation, if indeed there has been some substantial change in terrorists' capabilities. The news stories I've found just don't give me enough information to even make a decent guess at anything.

I have plenty of free time at the moment for lettered or non-lettered agencies that decide they need to talk to me about my excess curiosity.

I think I'm done for the night. I'm way past tired and at least verging on dopey and this thread doesn't look like it will be productive until a mod decides to spank me or tells me that I'm still a good boy.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”