Military coup d'etat in Turkey

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

norcalprep

Military coup d'etat in Turkey

Post by norcalprep » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Holy... a military coup d'etat going on in Turkey right now. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36809083 They blocked off bridges, tanks and jets are deployed.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/att ... d=40618135: All police are called in (so Police v. Military?)

https://next.ft.com/content/1e11f52a-4a ... e9211e86ab: Greece military on alert.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Military coup d'etat in Turkey

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:54 pm

This says an attempted coup:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world ... .html?_r=0
ISTANBUL — The prime minister of Turkey said on Friday night that factions of the military had attempted a coup.

“Some people illegally undertook an illegal action outside of the chain of command,” Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said in comments broadcast on NTV, a private television channel. “The government elected by the people remains in charge. This government will only go when the people say so.”

Reuters reported in a short series of bulletins that the military had issued a statement saying it had “taken over” for “democratic order” and that “all existing foreign relations will continue.”

The whereabouts of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has dominated politics in Turkey for many years and has sought to establish a firm control over the military, was not immediately clear.

It is going to be a long hot summer.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:58 pm

From about an hour ago: Facebook, twitter, and youtube are blocked. Unless there are on-the-ground journalists there, will be hard to get information whether it failed, succeeded, or still ongoing.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/15/faceb ... p-attempt/

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:00 pm

This is a link to a BBC rolling live update.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-36811357

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:10 pm

norcalprep wrote:From about an hour ago: Facebook, twitter, and youtube are blocked. Unless there are on-the-ground journalists there, will be hard to get information whether it failed, succeeded, or still ongoing.

Turkish government had been going after unfavorable news outlets prior to this as well, iirc. English language turkish news websites also down. Ignorant question - do they have to take down these sites specifically, or can they just block outgoing internet? The article mentioned info coming out of turkey by folks using vpn.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:19 pm

raptor wrote:This says an attempted coup:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world ... .html?_r=0
ISTANBUL — The prime minister of Turkey said on Friday night that factions of the military had attempted a coup.

“Some people illegally undertook an illegal action outside of the chain of command,” Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said in comments broadcast on NTV, a private television channel. “The government elected by the people remains in charge. This government will only go when the people say so.”
Well, he would say that wouldn't they? It's not like the elected government is going to go on TV & radio to say "Yes, the coup has succeeded". The very fact that the Turkish PM can get his version of events out shows that the coup hasn't yet succeeded, but it's telling that he's talking on "a private television channel" and not the national broadcaasters.
It is going to be a long hot summer.
It seems that way.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:21 pm

duodecima wrote:
norcalprep wrote:From about an hour ago: Facebook, twitter, and youtube are blocked. Unless there are on-the-ground journalists there, will be hard to get information whether it failed, succeeded, or still ongoing.

Turkish government had been going after unfavorable news outlets prior to this as well, iirc. English language turkish news websites also down. Ignorant question - do they have to take down these sites specifically, or can they just block outgoing internet? The article mentioned info coming out of turkey by folks using vpn.
Really depends on how the infrastructure is set up. My experience is really only with administration of corporate IT infrastructure, but if you channel all incoming and outgoing traffic through devices you control, you can easily stop traffic to specific sites, or even all traffic altogether. VPNs get around the prohibition to banned sites by masking the destination, but it's easy enough to ban VPNs, too.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:31 pm

I'd heard muffled rumors of it going on but it's apparently in full effect, all the news feeds are blowing up, sending out notices. Still unconfirmed if it has succeeded, military is claiming it has taken over government operations, PM saying they haven't.

Let's hope the military turns turkey (traditionally very secular), away from the Islamic state that Erdogan has been pushing it.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Erdogan + private jet + hauling ass = successful coup.

Now, maybe, the sh!t in Syria will calm down....

Honestly, I had expected this more than 2 years ago. Good thing I don't call baseball games for a living.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:11 pm

sheddi wrote: Well, he would say that wouldn't they? It's not like the elected government is going to go on TV & radio to say "Yes, the coup has succeeded".
I agree ...but ...
sheddi wrote: The very fact that the Turkish PM can get his version of events out shows that the coup hasn't yet succeeded, but it's telling that he's talking on "a private television channel" and not the national broadcaasters.
Correctamundo!

The simple fact he is saying anything at all and is not lying in a crumpled heap at the base of a wall or in some oubliette (hey its Turkey I am sure they have an oubliette in some palace somewhere) means the dice are still rolling and the whole game is still up in the air.
Last edited by raptor on Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 pm

Halfapint wrote: Let's hope the military turns turkey (traditionally very secular), away from the Islamic state that Erdogan has been pushing it.
Yeah I was originally misinformed about the intent and circumstances. My Turkish uncle is very happy with this development and hopes that the military can stabilize and secure the country as it is, rather than the direction Edrogan is forcing it to go.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:22 pm

International flights (definitely BA and Lufthansa, possibly others) into Turkey are being diverted.

President Erdogan has called for the public to go out on the streets and protest, and there are reports on Twitter of that happening in some places. The coup doesn't appear to be involving all of the Turkish army. This could get a lot worse before it gets better.

Edit to add:
There are aome reports of explosions, gunfire and a crashed helicopter in Ankara.

Kurdish news agency Rudaw are live on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/RudawEnglish/?fref=ts

(As an aside I have taken quite a liking to Rudaw and their doppelganger Basnews https://www.facebook.com/Basnewsenglish for their coverage of Syria / Iraq / Iran / Turkey / Kurdistan.)
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:26 pm

sheddi wrote: President Erdogan has called for the public to go out on the streets and protest, and there are reports on Twitter of that happening in some places.
Calling on the people is not a good sign if you ask me. Still the dice keep rolling...come on box car, snake eyes, hard ten anything but a seven.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Video footage of fast movers in the air over Ankara, unconfirmed reports that the Turkish air force is bombing the presidential palace.

I honestly can't tell at this time whether the crowds of young men seen int he streets on Rudaw's livestream with Turkish flags are for or against the coup.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:37 pm

A friend is currently in Turkey. Still posting on FB just fine, says he can only hear helicopters hovering and that they are under martial law.
"Lady, I never walk into a place I don't know how to walk out of." - Robert de Niro - Ronin

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:42 pm

AlJazeera is also live via Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera/

There's video here of protesters beating a tank with sticks :shock:
https://twitter.com/RamiAILoIah/status/ ... 3630710785
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:48 pm

All the major Turkish political parties - even the Kurdish HDP that the government was trying to suppress - have come out against the coup.

For what that's worth.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:53 pm

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:59 pm

I guess the rumors were true? :mrgreen:

July 15th, Turkish Military "Day Of Rage"
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Random wrote:

A friend is currently in Turkey. Still posting on FB just fine, says he can only hear helicopters hovering and that they are under martial law.
Thank you for the update, and I hope your friend stays safe!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Reports of loyalist jet shooting down a rebel copter.

If the rebels didn't have control of the air force when this thing kicked off it isn't going to happen, at least not without tons of casualties, maybe.

Without getting too much into the politics of the thing I would consider a successful coup an anti-disaster.

Live feeds and helpful tips from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... n-ankara1/
If you are going on holiday to Turkey - contact your tour operator, travel agent, or airline asap
:roll:
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Things are getting hectic.

Some crowds are cheering on the army, some are protesting.

Some soldiers being led around in handcuffs by police. There is a bit of kissing, hugging and combined patrols between police and soldiers.

This is looking more and more like a poorly planned and executed coup. You would think that the military would be experts at it by now.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Things are getting hectic.

Some soldiers being led around in handcuffs by police. There is a bit of kissing, hugging and combined patrols between police and soldiers.

This is looking more and more like a poorly planned and executed coup. You would think that the military would be experts at it by now.

Rutroh, bombs hitting the Parliament.
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Stercutus wrote:Things are getting hectic.

Rutroh, bombs hitting the Parliament.

So there is a coup and then all the military guys and police just start kissing and hugging each other?
"Mustaffa! I want to save our country, but I just noticed how sexy your mustache is.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”