Turkey shoots down Russian Jet.

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Turkey shoots down Russian Jet.

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:17 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote: I agree that sometimes the only person on the bridge is the dog trained to bark when the collision avoidance alarm beeps on the Raytheon, but if the Russian only fired flares, why make it sound as if they were firing ordnance at a threatening ship? Obviously for the propaganda value, but if the bridge video on the trawler shows they only shot Roman candles at a trawler chugging past at 8 knots, they are going to look pretty sheepish.
I have no doubt that the Russians fired weapons.

I was simply saying under maritime law it was justifiable to do so.

There is an old joke in cruising sailor circles in the Aegean Sea about the need to stay away from military vessels at night.

The "joke" being that the standard light signal to stay away from a military vessel is multiple and rapidly blinking white lights a.k.a. muzzle flashes. :D

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Re: Turkey shoots down Russian Jet.

Post by sheddi » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:56 pm

I'm not entirely sure this fits into this thread, but I'm hoping it won't deserve a thread of its own.

It's reported that Turkish troops fighting IS in northern Syria have been bombed by Syrian aircraft. Casualties are reported as three dead, ten wounded.

Airstrike Kills 3 Turkish Soldiers in Northern Syria
http://www.basnews.com/index.php/en/new ... ast/313789
ISTANBUL — Three Turkish soldiers, part of the Euphrates Shield Operation, were killed and 10 others were wounded by an aerial bombardment targeting them north of Syria, Turkish Defense Ministry said.

Syrian government is suspected of conducting the attack against the Turkish troops that has led to first Turkish casualties at the hands of Syrian government forces since Turkey launched an incursion into Syria three months ago, Turkish military said.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim on Thursday warned of an appropriate response, noting that regardless the source of those attacks, Turkey’s commitment in anti-terrorism efforts will remain unaffected.

Yildirim pointed out that some people are not pleased by Turkey’s military activities, but Ankara will not leave the death of its soldiers without response.

Reports had already predicted that Turkey and the Syrian regime are likely to clash as part of Euphrates Shield operation in northern Syria after Turkey failed to execute its deal with the Syrian regime to convince the opposition forces to withdraw from Aleppo, according to the report.
The Turks clearly are less than impressed by this.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”