Bombing in Ankara, Turkey leaves 80+ dead

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Bombing in Ankara, Turkey leaves 80+ dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 am

This morning's news is full of this story.

This Brit's take on Turkey: Turkey is a NATO member, aspires to join the EU, is notionally a secular democracy, has a significant domestic Kurdish nationalist movement, borders Syria, Iraq & Iran and has a cooling relationship with Russia. It's also a popular European holiday destination.

Ankara explosions leave more than 80 dead - officials
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34495161
BBC wrote:Two explosions at a peace rally in the Turkish capital Ankara have killed at least 86 people and injured 186, according to officials. TV footage shows scenes of panic and people lying on the ground covered in blood, amid protest banners.

The blasts took place near the city's central train station as people gathered for a march organised by leftist groups. Turkey's president condemned the attacks as "terrorist acts". Government officials are investigating reports that a suicide bomber was behind at least one of the explosions.

The pro-Kurdish HDP party was among those attending the rally, which was demanding an end to the violence between the Kurdish separatist PKK militants and the Turkish government. The party said in a statement that it believes its members were the main target of the bombings. The leader of the HDP has blamed the state for the attack, which he called "a huge massacre", and cancelled all election rallies.

Turkey is holding a re-run of June's inconclusive parliamentary elections on 1 November. Later on Saturday, the PKK called on its fighters to halt its guerrilla activities in Turkey unless attacked first, according to reports on a news site close to the group.

The HDP was among those joining Saturday's rally for "peace and democracy", called for by the confederation of trades unions, which was due to start at 12:00 local time. The two explosions happened shortly after 10:00 as crowds gathered ahead of the rally. Amateur video footage showed a group of young people holding hands and singing, before the first blast.

The HDP tweeted that police "attacked" people carrying the injured away. Opposition MP Musa Cam tweeted a photo of a ball bearing he says he found at the scene.
More at the link, including (non-gory) video of one of the bombs exploding. I'm no expert but the size of the flash makes me think it's a medium-sized pedestrian IED, not a grenade or car-bomb.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Bombing in Ankara, Turkey leaves 80+ dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 am

Turkey has a serious divide between Islamists and the secular left, as well as a restive Kurdish minority. The economy is already in a serious decline - internal upheavals will only propel the country further down the road to serious societal fissures.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-two-bl ... ia-2015-10

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2 ... r-126.html

Watch the Turkish Lira as a barometer of instability. Turkey is already in the midst of a worsening economic crisis - factional violence is the last thing it needs.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/Cu ... trycode=US

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 am

Can't say too much without getting political, but unless I was a Turkish citizen I would in that country stay away from anything slightly political, eastern Turkey in general, and areas known to have either Kurdish or Islamic Turkish nationalist sentiment.

I understand Turkey has some beautiful beach towns that are secular and that mostly just want to make money from tourists. Those and Istanbul are about my speed - although Istanbul is a big enough city to host some trouble. Not a place I'd want to miss seeing in my lifetime, though, given the opportunity.

modustollens

Post by modustollens » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Just heard about this on the BBC on the shortwave(I am out in my camp now). Lots of death everywhere it seems.

Istanbul - I was there a few years ago: amazing city with so much great history to soak up.

MT
My homemade stove:Homemade Backpack Stove
Radio Page: VE3EFQ

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:51 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/o ... ack-coming

Lengthy article that names players and the politics that might be in play as elections are coming up in Nov and the current ruling party is on the ropes.

The Brits point out at least 5 possible factions that could have done this.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

selen

Post by selen » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 am

I live in Ankara and now there are officially 95 dead in the bombing. :(

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:26 pm

selen wrote:I live in Ankara and now there are officially 95 dead in the bombing. :(
That's terrible, selen.

If you feel free to talk about it, what is the mood like in the city?
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:51 pm

Lots of pissed off people in the streets (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/o ... res-killed -for video)

Also interesting nobody has claimed 'credit' as yet...

http://images.indianexpress.com/2015/10 ... -759-2.jpg

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-pu ... urning.jpg

Images from multiple sources, this is no pimped news story, there are massive crowds on the street....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

selen

Post by selen » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:01 am

sheddi wrote:
selen wrote:I live in Ankara and now there are officially 95 dead in the bombing. :(
That's terrible, selen.

If you feel free to talk about it, what is the mood like in the city?
We the secular people are angry and sad of course. I don't know what the others think though. I don't know if this will effect the election in November 1. I hope the ruling party again can not manage to get enough votes for a single party government.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Selen said: I don't know if this will effect the election in November 1. I hope the ruling party again can not manage to get enough votes for a single party government.
Gentle reminder: We avoid political discussions because the rules say so, and because they tend to devolve into screeds and flame wars. Suffice to say, instability or unrest of any kind in Turkey or any other country is cause for concern. That said, I hope the good and decent people make sure things don't get out of hand.

selen

Post by selen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Selen said: I don't know if this will effect the election in November 1. I hope the ruling party again can not manage to get enough votes for a single party government.
Gentle reminder: We avoid political discussions because the rules say so, and because they tend to devolve into screeds and flame wars. Suffice to say, instability or unrest of any kind in Turkey or any other country is cause for concern. That said, I hope the good and decent people make sure things don't get out of hand.
Well I certainly hope so too :)

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”