The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
JayceSlayn
* * *
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by JayceSlayn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Undoubtedly, in a vastly changed world climate, there will be a handful of species that thrive, though that is often to the detriment of very many others. The thing (one amongst many) that we should worry about is that those disaster taxa might not be compatible with human life, at least at the comfortable level that we enjoy today.

There are a few occasions in the past when the climate resembled what we appear to be heading towards, and it doesn't sound like a very hospitable place for people. Among the events that have been observed before: ocean anoxia, leading to massive blooms of hydrogen sulfide producing bacteria that release enough H2S to choke out a great majority of sea and land animals and plants. The hydrogen sulfide in the atmosphere would also contribute to the destruction of the ozone layer, which would leave whatever remained on the surface exposed to lethal levels of UV radiation.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:17 pm

I guess there's always VHEMT. I believe pretty much anyone can be a member. Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14250
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm

RickOShea wrote:I guess there's always VHEMT. I believe pretty much anyone can be a member. Image
Image
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:35 am

Stercutus wrote:Image

The IPCC is a terrible source for good science. It is more a political hacky sack than anything. Every annual report they have ever put out has been fraught with a number of errors and bad science. Even the writers of the report disown it from time to time. The problems vary greatly depending upon who is addressing the report from huge underestimations to huge overestimation to simple fabrications...
Exactly.
Let's look just at the decline in the number of farms.
In the 30's & 40's everybody had 20 acres and a mule.
Take 100 farms then: 2000 acres being farmed in an extremely inefficient way.
Farms are 2000-3000 acres now.
Today you have 3 farms: 6000 acres being farmed.
Conclusion: We've lost 97% of our farms!
True? Mathematically, yes.
Stupid? Absolutely.

What I love the most, is Phd's living in a million-dollar condo in the middle of a big city, that have never even sat on a tractor, whose only contribution to society are words coming from their mouth and keyboard, telling us how we're killing his wilderness.
How many acres does it take to support his worthless ass?

I say we add the mosquito to the extinct-species list. Who's with me? :D
Last edited by Supervisor42 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 am

Supervisor42 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Image

The IPCC is a terrible source for good science. It is more a political hacky sack than anything. Every annual report they have ever put out has been fraught with a number of errors and bad science. Even the writers of the report disown it from time to time. The problems vary greatly depending upon who is addressing the report from huge underestimations to huge overestimation to simple fabrications...
Exactly.
Let's look just at the decline in the number of farms.
In the 30's & 40's everybody had 20 acres and a mule.
Take 100 farms then: 2000 acres being farmed in an extremely inefficient way.
Farms are 2000-3000 acres now.
Today you have 3 farms: 6000 acres being farmed.
Conclusion: We've lost 97% of our farms!
True? Mathematically, yes.
Stupid? Absolutely.

What I love the most, is Phd's living in a million-dollar condo in the middle of a big city, that has never even sat on a tractor, whose only contribution to society are words coming from their mouth and keyboard, telling us how we're killing his wilderness.
How many acres does it take to support his worthless ass?

I say we add the mosquito to the extinct-species list. Who's with me? :D
Since you seem to have solved all the problems of climate change and rate of extinction, you should publish your findings in the Jounal Nature to have them reviewed by scientists in the fields you're working with. I'm sure your nobel prize money will buy some wonderful preps.

If, on the other hand, you're not basing this on science, but rather the assumption that you're just smarter than they are, you'll likely be torn to pieces in peer review and sent packing.

I await your results.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Since you seem to have solved all the problems of climate change and rate of extinction, you should publish your findings in the Jounal Nature to have them reviewed by scientists in the fields you're working with. I'm sure your nobel prize money will buy some wonderful preps.

If, on the other hand, you're not basing this on science, but rather the assumption that you're just smarter than they are, you'll likely be torn to pieces in peer review and sent packing.

I await your results.
Did I get the 97% wrong?
Unfortunately, I get out in the real world and actually contribute something other than words.
>you'll likely be torn to pieces in peer review and sent packing.
Peers?
Talk to a farmer who lives with his nose stuck into the soil of Mother Earth instead of the latest issue of "Journal Nature" where pundits that live in the inner-city think they are the "experts".
You might actually learn something important about the environment instead of about some snail that went extinct this year (which has absolutely no impact on anything or anybody, we just have more "snail-counters" now :roll:).
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Supervisor42 wrote:... I get out in the real world...
Speaking of the real world, if you wanted to really reduce C02 emissions, the answer is not putting a 'carbon-tax' on the C02 canister for little Jimmy's BB-gun or trying to remove C02 from soft-drinks.
This is where the climate-change people really get lost.

Go to your local grocery store and look at the frozen food section.
Most of that food is flash-frozen with LIQUID C02.
One processing plant I go to uses more than 50,000 lbs of liquid C02 every day. 7 days a week.
2 semi-trucks empty their full load into those tanks every day and it all goes into the atmosphere.
That plant probably puts more C02 in the air than the entire city it is in.
They could use liquid nitrogen, but liquid C02 is colder and therefore a little cheaper.
80% of air is nitrogen and it's not a green-house gas.
Y'all already knew about this, right? (since I'm just a country-bumpkin and all :roll:)

Look into making that change instead of picking at fly-excrement on the wall. That would make a difference.
Image
(this photo is not the plant I'm talking about, they only have 1 small tank. The other one has 6 about twice as tall, and they are EVERYWHERE.)
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2779
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Confucius » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Supervisor42 wrote:
Supervisor42 wrote:... I get out in the real world...
Speaking of the real world, if you wanted to really reduce C02 emissions, the answer is not putting a 'carbon-tax' on the C02 canister for little Jimmy's BB-gun or trying to remove C02 from soft-drinks.
This is where the climate-change people really get lost.

Go to your local grocery store and look at the frozen food section.
Most of that food is flash-frozen with LIQUID C02.
One processing plant I go to uses more than 50,000 lbs of liquid C02 every day. 7 days a week.
2 semi-trucks empty their full load into those tanks every day and it all goes into the atmosphere.
That plant probably puts more C02 in the air than the entire city it is in.
They could use liquid nitrogen, but liquid C02 is colder and therefore a little cheaper.
80% of air is nitrogen and it's not a green-house gas.
Y'all already knew about this, right? (since I'm just a country-bumpkin and all :roll:)

Look into making that change instead of picking at fly-excrement on the wall. That would make a difference.
Image
(this photo is not the plant I'm talking about, they only have 1 small tank. The other one has 6 about twice as tall, and they are EVERYWHERE.)
The co2 they're using is almost certainly a biproduct of hydrogen production by an SMR, no real harm. If you don't have a consumer, it would just be vented straight to atmosphere.

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Confucius wrote:The co2 they're using is almost certainly a biproduct of hydrogen production by an SMR, no real harm. If you don't have a consumer, it would just be vented straight to atmosphere.
I understand.
So this only the 'good kind' of liquid C02 they are pumping? Not really evil C02 in highly concentrated liquid form?
Image
"these aren't the droids you're looking for, move along now"
(I though you could make hydrogen with water and electricity and have oxygen as a by-product? Silly me.)

For the environmentalist out there: just watch how quick they shut me up.
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Carbon produced as part of a cycle, meaning pulled out of the air during a reaction and then released as part of a different one, is different from carbon that's been fixed in the earth for a few million years being dug up by the megaton, burned, and released into the atmosphere. You know, like all that coal mankind burns, or the petroleum we burn, or the natural gas we burn.

One more time, this carbon dioxide is produced as part of an extant process. They are recycling carbon that's already being produced, and would be taxed by industrial carbon taxes.

But no, there's no way we're contributing to any warming. Surely all that carbon, all the methane from the mass-farmed cattle, that's all pulled out of the atmosphere just as fast as we put it in, right?

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/

But hey, maybe if those scientists went and stood in a field in Iowa instead of observing atmospheric measurements or collecting soil and water samples, or tracking animal populations and plant growth, then they'd sure learn something. Fie on them for investigating the science instead of just declaring it can't possibly happen.

Saying "show me the proof" and refusing to investigate the overwhelming body of evidence reminds me of the HIV-denial magazine 'Continuum.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuum_(magazine)
Favoring pseudoscientific content, the magazine addressed issues related to HIV/AIDS, AIDS denialism, alternative medicine, and themes of interest to the LGBT community. It ran from December 1992 until February 2001, ceasing publication because both the editors had died of AIDS-defining clinical conditions.
When you have an established body of evidence that favors a theory, you'll need to come up with something better than "nuh-uh" to denounce it.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
JayceSlayn
* * *
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by JayceSlayn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:28 pm

Supervisor42 wrote: One processing plant I go to uses more than 50,000 lbs of liquid C02 every day. 7 days a week.
2 semi-trucks empty their full load into those tanks every day and it all goes into the atmosphere.
That plant probably puts more C02 in the air than the entire city it is in.
50,000 lbs of CO2 is equivalent to burning about 2500 gallons of gasoline - a feat which about 1000 cars could easily do in a day, or of which those two semi-trucks probably contribute close to 0.3% just driving from the distribution center and back.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:40 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Carbon produced as part of a cycle, meaning pulled out of the air during a reaction and then released as part of a different one, is different from carbon that's been fixed in the earth for a few million years being dug up by the megaton, burned, and released into the atmosphere. You know, like all that coal mankind burns, or the petroleum we burn, or the natural gas we burn...
BTW it's Alabama, not Iowa. I wouldn't want any good people from Iowa getting poo slung on 'em that was meant for me :lol:.

Here's a simple fact:
If this one plant used liquid nitrogen instead of liquid C02 (regardless of it's source) to freeze product, hundreds of thousands of pounds of C02 would not be released into the atmosphere from there, every week.

If you cared about limiting C02 emissions, this would make sense to even you.

For everyone else: I know exactly where the C02 comes from that they truck in. There's a small natural-gas power plant nearby.
They capture and liquify the C02 that would go into the air and load it on trucks that leave the plant.
Presto! They produce no C02 into the atmosphere!
The trucks go 4 miles up the road and into the tanks at the food processing plant the C02 goes to freeze food.
Since the food plant is not a 'hydrocarbon consumer' it is not a C02 'producer' and nobody cares.
Ain't that neat?
Here's the thing, if the food plant used liquid nitrogen, the power plant would have to own-up to it's C02 production as it would no longer have a giant loophole to dump it thru.

How did AIDS get brought into this?
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:02 pm

If the plant that's capturing the CO2 stops selling it, it keeps getting released into the atmosphere. The net carbon release is the same, which is why carbon emissions are aimed at the places that produce carbon emissions, like the refinery and your car.

Edit to add: if the places they would procure nitrogen are further away, then there's a net increase in carbon emissions by trucking in nitrogen. Big picture, remember to think big picture.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:If the plant that's capturing the CO2 stops selling it, it keeps getting released into the atmosphere. The net carbon release is the same, which is why carbon emissions are aimed at the places that produce carbon emissions, like the refinery and your car.

Edit to add: if the places they would procure nitrogen are further away, then there's a net increase in carbon emissions by trucking in nitrogen. Big picture, remember to think big picture.
Ok. You convinced me!
Trucks carrying 30,000 lbs of liquid C02 to be released into the air are meaningless.
Now where are those pesky softdrinks and BB-guns?
They're crawling alive with C02!
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah, keep pretending like coal, wood-fires, and petroleum fuels aren't the primary focus.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by duodecima » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:40 pm

Confucius wrote:The co2 they're using is almost certainly a biproduct of hydrogen production by an SMR, no real harm. If you don't have a consumer, it would just be vented straight to atmosphere.
Supervisor42 wrote:Ok. You convinced me!
Trucks carrying 30,000 lbs of liquid C02 to be released into the air are meaningless.!
I think you forgot the blue text.

And yes, 30k lb of CO2 released at the refinery now, vs 1 week or 3 months or whatever later, from the CO2 truck or the BB gun or the soda can? IS meaningless. It's like it matters whether the floodwater starts coming out of the Missouri River vs the Ohio River - the folks on the Mississippi river in Arkansas are going to see the floodwater.

Pretending soda's going to have a carbon tax if that ever gets implemented is, well, let's go with hyperbole, at best. Or possibly quoting something somebody else made up, so a source on that if you have one would be great. Alabama doesn't have a carbon tax anyway, unless I missed something, that's limited to CA (not fully implemented due to legal issues with the refineries) & Boulder CO at the moment. One county in Maryland passed then repealed one a few years ago. If you guys want a discussion, let's have a real one (person bringing the 'fact' is responsible for citing sources!), not just throwing around inflammatory statements to start a fight.
Supervisor42 wrote:How did AIDS get brought into this?
AIDS came up as a comparison of another time some people made shit up about an important scientific thing, which turned out to be to the detriment of thousands of other people.

Also, this seems rather off topic from the OP - if OP prefers then we'll need to move this discussion elsewhere.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14250
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:58 am

As I noted earlier how we got here is not nearly as important as what we do about it. Like a tidal wave or an earthquake this problem is well nigh unsolvable by the small and mostly powerless population at ZS. We could flick buggers at it like we do with our fund raisers and whatnot but in the end it will come down to the eaches to be responsible for their own. Because if the problem is man made then those with wealth and power are not going to release the choke hold on the world until it has been choked to death. It is not in the nature of people who born in to wealth and power to give it up so easily and those that are brutal enough to achieve it on their own are clearly not interested either (an occasional exception here and there). The best most of us can do is stay out of their way and not become victims.

Climate change appears to be causing little, if any, loss of species. So I am confused as to how it got inserted into the discussion. Articles by National Geographic cherry picked a few species that might be threatened:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... vironment/
Climate change is doing "widespread and consequential" harm to animals and plants, which are struggling to adapt to new conditions, according to a major report released Monday.

The report, from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), finds that many life-forms are moving north or into deeper waters to survive as their habitats shift.
Again, since it is IPCC it is wrong on a number of counts. They claim Polar Bears and Adélie penguins numbers are decreasing when in fact their numbers are increasing for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad%C3%A9lie_penguin
Based on a 2014 analysis of fresh guano-discolored coastal areas, there are 3.79 million breeding pairs of Adélie penguins in 251 breeding colonies, a 53 percent increase over a census completed 20 years earlier. The colonies are distributed around the coastline of the Antarctic land and ocean. Colonies have declined on the Antarctic Peninsula, but those declines have been more than offset by increases in East Antarctica.
They claim that cod have not returned due to climate change (with no evidence) when the actual population reports are "fishy" and the WWF claims it is more likely due to illegal fishing and industrial pollution.

There are other problems with their report too but the point is the numbers that are tied ever so tenuously to this issue of climate change are really, really tiny (like 1 in a 1000) while the numbers tied to habitat loss are huge (like most of the rest of them). Habitat loss is almost completely man caused.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Supervisor42
* *
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 pm
Location: Arab, Alabama

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Supervisor42 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:05 am

duodecima wrote:...Pretending soda's going to have a carbon tax if that ever gets implemented is, well, let's go with hyperbole, at best. Or possibly quoting something somebody else made up, so a source on that if you have one would be great. Alabama doesn't have a carbon tax anyway, unless I missed something, that's limited to CA (not fully implemented due to legal issues with the refineries) & Boulder CO at the moment...
Actually the carbon tax on softdrinks and BB-guns is meant to be ridiculous sarcasm.
I never mentioned the word 'tax' relating to the C02 going to the food plant.
Paying a 'sin-tax' on something bad doesn't suddenly make it "not bad" anymore.
Doesn't anybody find it strange that the solution to every problem always ends up with us sending more money to state or federal government?
And we already know how well they spend our tax money!
http://reed.house.gov/waste-fraud-and-abuse
(I like the $30 million we sent to the Pakistani mango farmers the best)
http://www.arc.asm.ca.gov/budgetfactcheck/?p=waste
(California's carbon-tax money is going to high-speed rail since Amtrack is such a shining example of success :roll:)
The high-speed train costs billions of dollars and won't reduce carbon emissions as much as switching a few food plants from liquid C02 to nitrogen.
Don't forget, both of these government entities are operating in the red, with deficits.

Making a simple change from one liquid gas to another to freeze food would stop millions of pounds of C02 going into the air every day and only add a few pennies to the cost of the food.
Nobody likes that idea because it wouldn't result in more money for the government. Hmm. Maybe that's the real problem.

BTW, I do believe that human produced C02 is contributing to climate change, to what degree, will be debated forever.
I guess we can just go back to complaining about how bad everything is and how the government isn't doing enough.
This thread is supposed to be about mass extinctions.
Embrace the next generation, give them a gun and teach them to shoot. They are our future.

User avatar
JayceSlayn
* * *
Posts: 681
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by JayceSlayn » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Supervisor42 wrote:
duodecima wrote:...Pretending soda's going to have a carbon tax if that ever gets implemented is, well, let's go with hyperbole, at best. Or possibly quoting something somebody else made up, so a source on that if you have one would be great. Alabama doesn't have a carbon tax anyway, unless I missed something, that's limited to CA (not fully implemented due to legal issues with the refineries) & Boulder CO at the moment...
Actually the carbon tax on softdrinks and BB-guns is meant to be ridiculous sarcasm.
I never mentioned the word 'tax' relating to the C02 going to the food plant.
Paying a 'sin-tax' on something bad doesn't suddenly make it "not bad" anymore.
Doesn't anybody find it strange that the solution to every problem always ends up with us sending more money to state or federal government?
And we already know how well they spend our tax money!
http://reed.house.gov/waste-fraud-and-abuse
(I like the $30 million we sent to the Pakistani mango farmers the best)
http://www.arc.asm.ca.gov/budgetfactcheck/?p=waste
(California's carbon-tax money is going to high-speed rail since Amtrack is such a shining example of success :roll:)
The high-speed train costs billions of dollars and won't reduce carbon emissions as much as switching a few food plants from liquid C02 to nitrogen.
Don't forget, both of these government entities are operating in the red, with deficits.

Making a simple change from one liquid gas to another to freeze food would stop millions of pounds of C02 going into the air every day and only add a few pennies to the cost of the food.
Nobody likes that idea because it wouldn't result in more money for the government. Hmm. Maybe that's the real problem.

BTW, I do believe that human produced C02 is contributing to climate change, to what degree, will be debated forever.
I guess we can just go back to complaining about how bad everything is and how the government isn't doing enough.
This thread is supposed to be about mass extinctions.
I might have missed it, but I didn't see anyone suggest that sending more money to the government was the solution to the problems of CO2 release.

Changing from liquid CO2 to another working gas to freeze food isn't necessarily the solution either. The fact that you are having to remove that much energy (heat) from said food in the first place requires energy. Harnessing and using vast quantities of energy (far more than the human race could produce by muscle power alone), is how we do work these days. The energy in the form of creating a working gas to do the heat transfer of freezing food, or by more conventional refrigeration a la your kitchen is, for the most part, all part of a long and complicated chain of carbon-producing steps (generation, transmission/transportation, etc.). It is impossible to fully tease out any system in isolation (none such exists), but to tackle such an intractable problem as climate change requires having to go back through many layers of systems-upon-systems.

While the thread has devolved somewhat from the mass-extinction theme itself to what might be causing said extinction, human influence, in both factors of habitat loss and changing of the atmosphere content, is probably at least somewhat to blame. I've given some thought to what we, as individuals, might be able to do to adapt, but I haven't come to any satisfactory conclusions yet. I'd like to see if any other ideas come up in this thread, though.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14250
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:53 pm

If you want to argue about climate change it would be nice if you did it somewhere else because it is completely off topic for this thread.

Just in case anyone missed my earlier post.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6055
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by the_alias » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:46 am

Please could everyone involved in the topic drift to C02 refrain from discussing it further as per OP's request and take it to PM.
Man is a beast of prey

User avatar
ghostface
* * * * *
Posts: 5808
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 8:14 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by ghostface » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:23 am

Wow.

So much garbage in this thread.

Just for starters, when you start accusing the IPCC reports of being "political" and wrong and blah blah blah, while at the same time referring to them as "annual", you're just broadcasting how absolutely full of shit you are. The First Assessment Report was published in 1990. The Fifth AR was published in 2013. Sound "annual" to you?

The IPCC Assessment Reports are just syntheses of the existing scientific literature. When you say "the IPCC is wrong about X", you're saying that the scientific community was wrong about X. That can occasionally happen, but most people would probably happily take the odds of trusting science over pretty much any other form "knowledge", like personal anecdotes and ideological narratives.

So a 2014 paper that was published after the last IPCC report came out using remote sensing to infer the existence of populations of Adélie penguins what were previously not known about, and you think that means the IPCC was "wrong" for describing what the state of knowledge was in 2012? Seriously?

What a joke.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:06 pm

the_alias wrote:Please could everyone involved in the topic drift to C02 refrain from discussing it further as per OP's request and take it to PM.
Right back on topic.

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

User avatar
ineffableone
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep
Location: Pac Northwest, East of the Cascades

Re: The Apocalypse is Well Under Way- Mass Extinction

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:11 pm

I recently found this article. http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/prog ... on_crisis/ Which I found quite interesting.

Something important to note, for all those who don't agree with Climate Change it is not the only cited cause of this. While man is the cited cause there is more than one way that man is cited as the cause for the 6th Mass Extinction.
In fact, 99 percent of currently threatened species are at risk from human activities, primarily those driving habitat loss, introduction of exotic species, and global warming. Because the rate of change in our biosphere is increasing, and because every species’ extinction potentially leads to the extinction of others bound to that species in a complex ecological web, numbers of extinctions are likely to snowball in the coming decades as ecosystems unravel.
So has mankind driven habitat loss for animals? I would say the answer seems pretty likely, from forests and grasslands destroyed, to rivers altered, to migratory routes blocked humans have done a number on habitat.

Has man introduced exotic (invasive) species around the world? There is no doubt about that I think.

I think we have established some people disagree with the scientific consensus on Climate Change, so we wont explore that.

With 2 of the 3 cited reasons pretty safe to discuss.

Through out the world humanity has vastly changed the environment to suit us. However this has had effects on both plants and animals. The agriculture revolution has displaced many plants. It has also dramatically effected many regions to the point of desertification. Or turned deserts into farm land, drained swamps to farm, terraced mountains to farm, and on it goes. Humans have repeatedly replaced diversity with monocrops. Altering the movement of nutrients, the available food for other life, changed water movement, and altered soil retention.

The introduction of invasive species is quite well known. From kudzu in the Americas, to rabbits in Australia, Grey Squirrels in Europe, and so on. Both plants and animals have been spread around the world to places they have no checks and balances. There have also been viruses, fungi, and bacteria spread around also. From the devastation of disease to tribal people to the recent White Nose Syndrome infecting North American bat colonies human global expansion has spread tiny little invasives as well as the larger ones.

It seems pretty obvious humans have had a huge global effect. Though are these 2 safe topics of discussion enough to be humans causing the 6th Mass Extinction? Personally I think so, though at a slower pace than if the 3rd topic were safe to discuss.

I personally think the eco system has been severely damaged by humanity. Even without Climate Change being cited I think humanity is doing a lot of damage to the ecological web. Each species that we loose has a place and other species that were dependent upon it at least to some degree. While the loss of some species could likely allow others to take advantage of the void made, it seems to me the amount of species being lost is creating vacuums too large to be filled quick enough. Which means the void creates more loss, which inturn creates more, and so on.

"Solutions" for the 6th Mass Extinction are many and diverse, and a lot have potentials for more dangers due to them requiring humans to muck about with the eco system even more.

Rewilding, which essentially seeks to take sections of land and completely remake them in their ancient, pre-human image as much as possible. National parks run along these lines. Though it would take much more than currently in existence, and connection between them to allow migrations and genetic exchange.

Moving endangered species to areas that they can be protected as in zoos, wildlife sanctuaries, parks, etc. Thus allowing the population to be built back up then reintroduced once their normal habitat can be secured safe for them.

Introduction of similar species to ecosystems. Finding species that mimic the traits of species that are extinct and introducing these new species to fill the gaps.

De-extinction, as in cloning extinct species and bringing them back from extinction. There is a lot of resistance to this, due to resistance against cloning animals in general.

Assisted migrations. Helping animals and plants move to different but similar regions when one changes dramatically enough to be unable to continue to support those who called it home. As in desertification, or flooding and turning swamp, etc.

Then there are the more feel good small steps ideas aimed at giving consumers a way to help with their purchasing like: Eat fish from only healthy fisheries, Buy products from companies committed to using sustainably produced palm oil in their products, Eat less meat, Never buy anything made from ivory, Avoid unsustainable lumber choices, Adopt a species or become a citizen scientist, and so on. I actually got these examples from actual lists of "solutions" to the 6th Mass Extinction.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"


ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Post Reply

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”