California Drought

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Re: California Drought

Post by raistlin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:25 am

Boondock wrote:In somewhat related water/drought news:
ROME (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Human water use is sucking dry around a third of the world's largest underground water basins at an alarming rate, with potentially risky consequences for farmers and other consumers, researchers said.
Full article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/ ... B220150617
Uggh...as I suspected, but I would have been happier not to read it. :(

University of California Irvine has a nice map of all the aquifers that one can download here: http://news.uci.edu/?featured_media_download=16478
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

mark9atq

Post by mark9atq » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:19 pm

Nothing to do really. "ITS" going to happen. How to ride the storm out is the question ZS addresses.
I like to assume I'll make it with on the spot heroic adjustments. Right. But hey...anyone can get lucky.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:32 am

mark9atq wrote:Nothing to do really. "ITS" going to happen. How to ride the storm out is the question ZS addresses.
I like to assume I'll make it with on the spot heroic adjustments. Right. But hey...anyone can get lucky.
But is the question "how to ride out the storm?" Or how to survive with the new status quo? It seems the former has the been the main CA strategy to date: ride it out and hope it will end.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Here is some good news on the drought front.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... t/50081969
This winter's El Niño could be one of the strongest in the past 50 years, leading to a return of meaningful but not necessarily drought-busting rain in California.

"El Nino has steadily strengthened over the past month and is now approaching strong category strength," stated AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Brett Anderson.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:56 am

parabarbarian wrote:Here is some good news on the drought front.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... t/50081969
This winter's El Niño could be one of the strongest in the past 50 years, leading to a return of meaningful but not necessarily drought-busting rain in California.

"El Nino has steadily strengthened over the past month and is now approaching strong category strength," stated AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Brett Anderson.

Not trying to be "Debbie Downer" here, but when Cali gets heavy rains it also tends to get land and mud slides.

Cali....can't seem to catch a break.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:33 pm

Yeah, you don't want a "head in the oven, feet in the freezer" situation where your average is the result of two negative extremes. Little of that precip is likely to be snowfall to recharge declining pack, so long term it won't help much. Plus, there's not a great correlation between ENSO and California rain. It's more of "it depends" situation.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

parabarbarian

Post by parabarbarian » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:30 pm

LowKey wrote:Not trying to be "Debbie Downer" here, but when Cali gets heavy rains it also tends to get land and mud slides.

Cali....can't seem to catch a break.
True and I feel sorry for the folks who live in or near burned out area.
Of course I carry a gun! It gives me a chance against the sinners and protection from the righteous.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:11 pm

raistlin wrote:
mark9atq wrote:Nothing to do really. "ITS" going to happen. How to ride the storm out is the question ZS addresses.
But is the question "how to ride out the storm?" Or how to survive with the new status quo? It seems the former has the been the main CA strategy to date: ride it out and hope it will end.
The same way we have always ridden it out. Higher efficiency appliances. More low water use, if not outright removal of, landscaping. Water shortages are the rule, not the exception. My lawn is actually a shade of green as anything that wasn't drought resistant has long since died off.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:19 am

Looks like Texas got all the heavy rain not Cali. The drought in Texas is over like it never even happened.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:17 am

raistlin wrote:

hope everyone over there is surviving well, over here in Australia our local dam has just fallen below 30%, so about 15% of water suitable for drinking left.

watering the garden has been rationed to twice a week (in a town of ‎178,649 people) in the evening, with the likelihood that if we don't get a wet season that will be cut as well.

its lucky that we have a backup dam for emergencies, buts that at 53% so here's hoping we get rain, and California gets rain
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Stercutus wrote:Looks like Texas got all the heavy rain not Cali. The drought in Texas is over like it never even happened.

Except most of it washed off and went away, with reservoirs having to open the dams to keep them from overflowing. Central and South Texas got a of rain, but if they only get a few inches between now and the spring they are right back at drought conditions.

A heavy burst of rain that drops the total annual rainfall over one or two days doesn't really help the situation. It needs to be spread out, or in California's case, mostly impact the high altitude Sierras to recharge the snow pack to gradually come down during the rest of the year.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:23 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Looks like Texas got all the heavy rain not Cali. The drought in Texas is over like it never even happened.

Except most of it washed off and went away, with reservoirs having to open the dams to keep them from overflowing. Central and South Texas got a of rain, but if they only get a few inches between now and the spring they are right back at drought conditions.

A heavy burst of rain that drops the total annual rainfall over one or two days doesn't really help the situation. It needs to be spread out, or in California's case, mostly impact the high altitude Sierras to recharge the snow pack to gradually come down during the rest of the year.
The drought actually ended in most of the state in the Spring, the summer has been steady. The recent rain just pushed things well over the top.
You go over and under
I go through

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by AfleetAlex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:28 pm

gronch wrote:Nicely done.

As a San Diego native, there is a rather large perception problem about living in the desert. I had to water my lawn every other day to keep it green. The only other option was to go drought tolerant, which people don't want to do, because why pay a ton for your house just to put rocks in the front yard. Also, your HOA may not allow such madness.
You're on a ZA survival site, and you think it's ok to water your lawn every other day just to keep it green? Priorities, man. Priorities...

The drought is resolvable.

1. Offer heavy tax deductions to prescription free clean eaters, willing to convert to composting toilets. People flush 3-10 gallons of drinking water a day, which is ridiculous. Humanure is great for crops like corn and fruiting trees/bushes.

2. Offer tax deductions for residential permaculture gardens, and deductions for volunteers willing to teach residents to become more self sustaining in growing their own food. I built my mother a back-to-Eden garden in Phoenix, that she only has to water 3x a season. Work with nature, not against Her.

3. Offer more lenient and profitable migrant worker programs, for commercial farmers willing to convert to permaculture grow methods.

4. Put farmers with non-native crops like alfalfa, on a meter. They are consistently pulling water from their neighbors property, which is unacceptable. Putting them on a meter will price their product out of the market, and they'll convert to a crop sustainable in their region.

5. Bury the almond orchards in 18 inches of mulch. They'll never have to be watered again.

Problem solved.
Come with me if you want to live.

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:57 pm

AfleetAlex wrote:. Work with nature, not against Her.
Nature isn't a person, male or female, nor is it a deity.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by AfleetAlex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:00 pm

LowKey wrote:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 pm

AfleetAlex wrote: 4. Put farmers with non-native crops like alfalfa, on a meter. They are consistently pulling water from their neighbors property, which is unacceptable. Putting them on a meter will price their product out of the market, and they'll convert to a crop sustainable in their region.
How about their neighbors who are growing native crops and who are also pulling water from their neighbor's property? Do they get a free pass, or do you want them penalized as well?

How about simply metering how much water the farmer is pulling out of the aquifer and asses them accordingly....oh, wait, they do that already????? Nevermind.
Last edited by LowKey on Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:03 pm

AfleetAlex wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Yeah, and tax politics are tax politics. Not really a topic for discussion at ZS. Although I did find your comments amusing in light of your comments in the other thread about government.
You go over and under
I go through

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:05 pm

AfleetAlex wrote: 1. Offer heavy tax deductions to prescription free clean eaters, willing to convert to composting toilets. People flush 3-10 gallons of drinking water a day, which is ridiculous. Humanure is great for crops like corn and fruiting trees/bushes.
What do you do when the "prescription free eater" comes down with bacterial pneumonia and has to take antibiotics for the month ? Do you burn them at the stake, or will bastinado suffice as a penalty?

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by AfleetAlex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:09 pm

Stercutus wrote:
AfleetAlex wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Yeah, and tax politics are tax politics. Not really a topic for discussion at ZS. Although I did find your comments amusing in light of your comments in the other thread about government.

Tax laws are laws, the same as gun law or any other law. <---- Thats not discussing politics, anymore than gun threads talking about carry/permit laws are discussing politics. This is about the drought, and realistic ways to resolve it without furthering harm or force, like "kill all the livestock", or "who cares if California dies off and everyone starves". If you can't handle an adult conversation about resolving a survival threat that could attack any State, maybe you're in the wrong place?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Tax laws are laws, the same as gun law or any other law. <---- Thats not discussing politics, anymore than gun threads talking about carry/permit laws are discussing politics. This is about the drought, and realistic ways to resolve it without furthering harm or force, like "kill all the livestock", or "who cares if California dies off and everyone starves". If you can't handle an adult conversation about resolving a survival threat that could attack any State, maybe you're in the wrong place?
I will venture one of us is in the wrong place. I think it will be sorted out before too long.
You go over and under
I go through

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:11 pm

LowKey wrote: How about simply metering how much water the farmer is pulling out of the aquifer and asses them accordingly....oh, wait, they do that already????? Nevermind.
Except California hasn't been metering ag groundwater consumption, and they've passed legislation so that even when metering of agricultural groundwater starts it won't be public information. (I have citations, but I also have a lot of things to do, will edit them in when I've got a moment.)

If you have citations otherwise, feel free to provide!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

AfleetAlex
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by AfleetAlex » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:14 pm

LowKey wrote:
AfleetAlex wrote: 1. Offer heavy tax deductions to prescription free clean eaters, willing to convert to composting toilets. People flush 3-10 gallons of drinking water a day, which is ridiculous. Humanure is great for crops like corn and fruiting trees/bushes.
What do you do when the "prescription free eater" comes down with bacterial pneumonia and has to take antibiotics for the month ? Do you burn them at the stake, or will bastinado suffice as a penalty?
If you knew anything about food production, you'd know that prescription meds up to and including antibiotics, show up in bodily waste products. If you're producing humanure for fertilization purposes, you're going to want an organic product.

Burn people at the stake? Whaaaaaa? You've got violence issues, bro.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm

Can ALL OF YOU tone down the insults and namecalling here?

Because I'm happy to argue about details, but this particular meme has also go a point. (I saw it first from another ZSer in another drought thread that got killed because some people can't discuss without resorting to insults. Let's not repeat that AGAIN.)

"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:27 pm

AfleetAlex wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
I will venture one of us is in the wrong place. I think it will be sorted out before too long.
What, are you gonna tattle on me? Lol. Like they're going to comb though the "Which handgun for me" thread and remove all mention of night vision laws? And all the other threads mentioning current law? Grow up darling.
You seem to have a problem differentiating between:

- The mention of a current law and how it effects people

and

- The recommendation of a policy to resolve an issue to your particular liking through the implementation of government policy

One is politics, the other it not.

I am not your darling. Gender/ sexually based insults are also frowned upon here as well.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”