Baltimore Riots

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Baltimore Riots

Post by duodecima » Sat May 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Aikibiker wrote:
Boondock wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:May I suggest that Gray's history, criminal or otherwise, is of no consequence to the day of his arrest or to this thread? To the former, we have a justice system with a presumption of innocence. Every time police misconduct is alleged there is a concentrated effort to say 'he had it coming' based on past criminal activity, which is nowhere in our criminal code and is frankly a disappointing way to react to the death of another human.
Now that is worth repeating. Well stated, Doc.

I completely disagree. Past actions are excellent ways to predict future actions. If Mr. Gray was a known criminal, it is entirely believable that he was acting like a criminal on the day of his arrest. I.E. like an idiot. Being an idiot is certainly not a reason to kill someone, but a quick perusing of the darwin awards will show it is certainly a leading factor in many deaths.

After reading your post I have to believe your experience with the criminal class in this country has been minimal.
That bit in the red there, is what Doc was referring to. Since the protests and now charges are in response to that death.

If I one day killed my child-raping neighbor after he got out of prison, then I am a criminal and murderer under the law and ought to be prosecuted accordingly. My victim's past acts, whether criminal or just idiotic, do not justify my criminal assault on them. Bringing them up is merely an attempt by me (or my supporters I suppose) to distract from the fact that I have committed a crime which should be charged and tried in court.

ATTEMPTING TO DRAG THIS BACK ON TOPIC - what to do if swept up in a riot/protest and arrested -
This link was written for people PLANNING to be arrested - but it's a decent primer. Including the tip I had heard of writing your lawyer/trusted friend's phone number on your skin because they don't have to give you your own phone to call anyone, so you'd best know the number. (I read an account last year of someone who was arrested, detailing the steps they had taken and other useful things but I can't find it right now. :( )
http://occupypeace.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... or-it.html
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Sat May 02, 2015 7:33 pm

Citizen journalists and professional journalists sans crew have some tools available to them to stream live video. Two social media apps launched recently that may make the quiet arrest and (unlawful) detaining of people without access to council harder: Meerkat and Periscope are the apps in question (I don't work for nor have anything to do with either company). And while their use may clobber one's data plan, I think streaming live video is the next frontier of social medial; particularly covering social unrest.

We've all heard many stories of what occurs during social unrest,but without a lot in the way of evidence. Without evidence it's hard to know what actually happened and to plan accordingly as a prepper.

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:25 am

jnathan wrote:Citizen journalists and professional journalists sans crew have some tools available to them to stream live video. Two social media apps launched recently that may make the quiet arrest and (unlawful) detaining of people without access to council harder: Meerkat and Periscope are the apps in question (I don't work for nor have anything to do with either company). And while their use may clobber one's data plan, I think streaming live video is the next frontier of social medial; particularly covering social unrest.

We've all heard many stories of what occurs during social unrest,but without a lot in the way of evidence. Without evidence it's hard to know what actually happened and to plan accordingly as a prepper.

-Jeff
One thing to note on Periscope: it does not currently offer any form of playback option, i.e. you can't go back a day or two later and rewatch a video you saw on it. It's a useful tool for in-the-moment video, just don't go using it thinking you'll be able to pull up the videos later as evidence or anything like that. Twitter still hasn't decided whether or not they'll add in that function.

As for the writing the number on your skin idea, I used to tell people to do that with their young kids at the amusement park I worked at in college, to make it easier on park staff to get parent and child reunited when said child ends up getting lost. Little kids will lose pretty much anything, but even they have a hard time misplacing an arm. However, if this is your plan, use something that doesn't easily smear or wash off--if you get hit with CS or OC spray, there will be a lot of water involved in getting that stuff back off of you, and it would suck to go for your phone call only to find out that the number has smeared down your arm and is completely illegible now. Regular ink pens aren't so great, but sharpies work pretty well...or you could always henna-tattoo it onto yourself, if you're so inclined.

Or you could just avoid the area altogether and not have to worry about this...that's an option too. :wink:
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sun May 03, 2015 8:18 am

Aikibiker, this is an unofficial warning for ignoring multiple posts in this thread to stop with the arguing about whether or not Gray deserved or brought his death on himself. I don't know how I can be any clearer.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Sun May 03, 2015 10:07 am

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Oakland Rioted on Friday night (5/1/15). Lots of smashed windows (car and store windows) and cars set on fire. A dozen people were arrested for burglary, failure to disperse and vandalism.

An increased police presence kept damage minimal last night.

A hacked sign

A Hyundai dealership was trashed

Oakland PD is hiring! Who likes dealing with shootings multiple times per week?

A lot of the destruction was more about anarchy than anything having to do with Baltimore

Myana
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Snow

Post by Myana » Sun May 03, 2015 11:34 pm

Just got back from a week in Baltimore, and despite what's been on the news, the unrest had minimal impact on us. My in-laws live in the northern part of the city and I never saw a single protester, rioter, or sign of violence. No unusual police activity, no National Guard.

People were nervous and talked about the unrest a lot. One day we had to pick up an order early because the shop closed at noon due to a planned protest (which turned out to be peaceful and uneventful). But other than that, the only drama was when my mother-in-law realized that the curfew meant she couldn't get dinner reservations at a 'reasonable' hour (ie, after 7:00 pm). By avoiding protests and downtown Baltimore, we avoided all problems.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon May 04, 2015 7:23 am

Just posting so when the facts start to become available, I can reflect upon the statements in this thread.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Ulf
Location: Between Mobtown and DeeCee - on the way to the mountains

Post by Ulf » Tue May 05, 2015 1:16 pm

Still waiting for the other shoe - it will likely come along in a few weeks or months while the details of the trial are hashed out.

In the meantime, this was a good wake up call for some in my group - three of whom live in the city. We have been reviewing evac plans, SOPs, personal and group preps. This weekend will be a range weekend, practical skills share and in-depth discussions of threats, strategy and tactics.

At this point, ongoing protests are being held in the affected neighborhood - with the possibility of more citywide activities.

Per the previous posts, if you have fore warning, avoid likely trouble spots. If this is not possible, been sure to have told several people where you are going and when you'll return. Have an attorney or two in your circle and have their numbers written in sharpie on more than one part of your body.

Be aware of local or state laws with regard to knives, etc. and/or concealed carry. (Maryland generally and Baltimore in particular are both NPEs). My EDC basics are always on my person but, wouldn't raise an eyebrow. The bigger kit is in my vehicle - the idea being travel as far as possible with the vehicle and then on foot if needed. Have more than one route home and be prepared to change as circumstances dictate.

The situation that started all of this and the background causes aren't unique to Baltimore - as we've all seen.

Be ready and go safe!

-Ulf
Equal Opportunity Misanthrope
Firearms Instructor
Armorer/Gunsmith
Proud U.S. Army Veteran

TheWarriorMax
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheWarriorMax » Tue May 05, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm going to disagree with the comment about anarchy.

This has nothing to do with anarchy - it's either morons who don't understand what anarchy is, or agents provocateur deliberately linking mindless vandalism with anarchy in the public consciousness in order to discredit anarchy.
"And how can a man die better,
than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of his fathers,
and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia" on kindle:

https://tinyurl.com/y9jhv6y4

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu May 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Baltimore Gets Bloodier as Arrests Drop Post-Freddie Gray:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/balt ... e-31356773

Baltimore Bloodshed Continues; 29 Shot, 9 Dead Over Holiday Weekend:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/2 ... y-weekend/

Baltimore Residents Fearful Amid Rash Of Homicides:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/2 ... homicides/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:24 am

15 months later is appears as though the highest ranking office accused in the Freddy Gray case Lt. Brian Rice has been cleared in court.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html
(Judge) Williams, reading from prepared remarks, said prosecutors failed to meet their burden of proving the charges against Rice beyond a reasonable doubt, instead asking the court to rely on "presumptions or assumptions" — something it cannot do. He said the court "cannot be swayed by sympathy, prejudice or public opinion."

Based on the law, he said, the prosecution did not show that Rice acted in a "grossly negligent manner," required for a manslaughter conviction. It also did not show that Rice acted in an unreasonable way or was aware of and chose to ignore the substantial risk by placing Gray in a police van without a seat belt, which is required for reckless endangerment, he said. And, it did not show that Rice acted "corruptly," which is required for misconduct in office, he said.
Rice did not face a jury. He instead opted for a bench trial presided over by a judge.

Fallout from the riots continue. Crime has soared in Baltimore much of it fueled by the massive increase in available prescription drugs looted from more than two dozen pharmacies during the riots. Baltimore saw it's highest murder rate ever in 2015. The most murders since 1993 when the population was a bit higher. The murder rate had held steady with previous years until after the riots. 2016 looks to put numbers similar to 2015 on the board.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:51 am

In 4 cases tried thus far the judges have not been very impressed with the prosections. They have throw out charges before trial in a couple of the cases.

If you read the full opinion it is interesting to note the negative comments about the poor investigation by the prosecutor office.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:50 pm

raptor wrote:In 4 cases tried thus far the judges have not been very impressed with the prosecutions. They have throw out charges before trial in a couple of the cases.

If you read the full opinion it is interesting to note the negative comments about the poor investigation by the prosecutor office.
I have a wondered a bit.

Not so much about the rush to judgement in the media or the asseveration of guilt of the officers without due process. What I have wondered is if the prosecutor is believing the media? If she really is dumb enough to believe the media reports instead of going on facts then it would explain a lot about how these cases were handled.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:19 pm

Stercutus wrote: Not so much about the rush to judgement in the media or the asseveration of guilt of the officers without due process. What I have wondered is if the prosecutor is believing the media? If she really is dumb enough to believe the media reports instead of going on facts then it would explain a lot about how these cases were handled.
Ethical complaints have been filed against the lead prosecutor and now two other prosecuters in this case.
The complaints call the attorneys to be disbarred.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/two-mor ... gray-case/

Link to complaints:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3187304 ... from_embed

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:00 pm

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote: Not so much about the rush to judgement in the media or the asseveration of guilt of the officers without due process. What I have wondered is if the prosecutor is believing the media? If she really is dumb enough to believe the media reports instead of going on facts then it would explain a lot about how these cases were handled.
Ethical complaints have been filed against the lead prosecutor and now two other prosecuters in this case.
The complaints call the attorneys to be disbarred.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/two-mor ... gray-case/

Link to complaints:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3187304 ... from_embed
They better hope that doesn't make it through. It could open up the city to a malicious prosecution lawsuit.
You go over and under
I go through

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am

The last of the charges were dropped by the prosecution. What a mess.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/prosec ... ar-BBuX1VQ
BALTIMORE — Prosecutors dropped the remaining charges Wednesday against three Baltimore police officers awaiting trial in the death of Freddie Gray, bringing an end to the case without a conviction.

The decision by prosecutors comes after a judge had already acquitted three of the six officers charged in the case, including the van driver who the state considered the most responsible and another officer who was the highest-ranking of the group.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 pm

Indeed a mess.

Even ignoring the not guilty verdicts, the fact that the criminal charges were dropped against the remaining officers and formal ethic charges filed (but not proven and may also be thrown out) against the prosecutors involved says volumes about the matter. .

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Don't know if the system worked or failed? :?

The prosecutors had the opportunity to open her own investigation and choose not to. That was flat out stupid. I will repeat what I said earlier that this was likely a case of the prosecutor believing the media instead of the facts and then failing to do due diligence.

Practically every case that BLM has taken up protests for has been proven to exonerate the officers involved and found the initial charges against the police were based on lies. Yelling more loudly, cursing, insulting people and breaking things has not made the charges true.

We can't unhold a riot and bring people back to life. I am guessing their next course of action is to double down on lies and stupid?
You go over and under
I go through

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:23 pm

Stercutus wrote:I am guessing their next course of action is to double down on lies and stupid?
While not a winning strategy, it does keep playing out like that every time.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”