Possible Intelligent Life/radio signal from space

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mikeyboy

Possible Intelligent Life/radio signal from space

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Disaster in current events....maybe if it turns out to be true.

Scientist have been studying what they are calling a Fast Radio Burst (FRB) since 2001, but it seems they figured out that they all follow a mathematical pattern. They all had dispersion measures that were integer multiples of the same number: 187.5.

http://www.space.com/28590-fast-space-r ... overy.html

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/04/ ... l-pattern/

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Possible Intelligent Life/radio signal from space

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:28 pm

I was listening to a podcast (Skeptic's guide to the Universe) about this earlier. Could be intelligent signalling, but it also reminds me of the LGMs.

(LGM was the nickname given to pulsars before astronomers knew what was making the pulsing signal)
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:58 pm

Not to worried about these coming from some distant race.
The energy associated with the 'broadcast' would make our WMD look rather puny. So whoever sent the message - isn't alive to worry about a return signal.
But figuring out what is creating these burst will be interesting.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:13 pm

procyon wrote:Not to worried about these coming from some distant race.
The energy associated with the 'broadcast' would make our WMD look rather puny. So whoever sent the message - isn't alive to worry about a return signal.
But figuring out what is creating these burst will be interesting.
Not necessarily. We have no idea about the technology used, life spans of other extraterrestrial races or anything else outside of our severely limited observations of the universe.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

procyon

Post by procyon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:22 pm

Stercutus wrote:We have no idea about the technology used,
No idea what could be out there.
But we are talking a LOT of energy.
Like requiring the energy released from the largest nuclear weapon ever detonated on Earth, except that you will need 100,000,000,000,000 (100 trillion, and I am not making that number up) of them all in a millisecond.
Which is approximately equal to the energy gravity is exerting holding the Earth together. So you would (theoretically) be able to reduce Earth to its component ATOMS with that energy.

If there really was something out there capable of controlling that sort of capability just to try and say 'hi' across intergalactic distance - we aren't ready to pick up that call yet.

The very specific signature, to me, is more indicative that it is a very specific kind of event - although just what it is seems a bit tricky to discern. You only get a REALLY TINY window to even catch it, let alone see what happened. Assuming it is a 'visible' event.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 pm

we aren't ready to pick up that call yet.
I think we can agree on that. We would be barely be colony of bacteria on a mop in Algiers by comparison. However to us, even finding a colony of bacteria floating around out in space would be fascinating. So there is no telling what an alien of horrible intelligence would find interesting.

At least we are conceited enough to imagine that we might be important enough for someone to say hi to...
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Stercutus wrote: However to us, even finding a colony of bacteria floating around out in space would be fascinating. So there is no telling what an alien of horrible intelligence would find interesting.
Hmmm...I hope they do not use crystal violet to Gram stain us. :D

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm

With a civilization that can produce or direct energies like that for communication, you'd better hope they want to give us the probe or have some peopleburgers. If they just like to eliminate future competition, well, life would be very interesting for a very short time.

That said there are lots of strange numerical relationships not caused by sentient creatures. I'm not holding my breath for E.T. on this.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:56 pm

They're coming to take me.... Again.....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:06 am

So on a slight tangent away from if this is a signal or just some natural space anomaly...let me ask you guys this question. What if we got positive evidence that there was distant, intelligent, alien life? Nothing threatening, just a "hey we are out here too." message. Nothing close by, but not too far. However nothing in their communications saying they have the ability to travel that long of a distant to stop in for a visit...just an acknowledgement that they exist and they know we exist.

If that news hit today, would life on Earth go on as usually or would everything unravel into chaos?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:36 am

New stressor, new stress reaction. First things first, we'd need to put the Raelians in the deepest, darkest closet. They're like a furry fetish and extraterrestrial life is like our Match.com profile, and never the two shall meet.

Second, there would be the new UFO cults. Not much you can do about that. Expect Jim Jones levels of crazy.

Thirdly, you'd have standard religions, culty or not, that would fit the arrival of ETI to their religious model. Gods, demons, angels, coming apocalypses.

Fourthly, the hoaxers/deniers. ETI doesn't fit with my worldview, therefore [at least until they arrive] this must be fake. An extreme wing of this subset will assume that ETI is just an excuse for the world governments to do oppressive shit.

What's left would be the standard foreign relations fights. Are they really peaceful? Are they going to give us stuff? Do we trust them? Are we even ready for the kind of change they could bring?

Not worth preparing specifically for, there's just too many variables.

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Could be intelligent signalling, but it also reminds me of the LGMs.
LGM = Little Green Men? :mrgreen:

Rancher

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 pm

azrancher wrote:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Could be intelligent signalling, but it also reminds me of the LGMs.
LGM = Little Green Men? :mrgreen:

Rancher
Yep. It was a tongue-in-cheek nickname that stuck until the pulsars were finally figured out. To date "LGM-numberlettersoup" remains a naming convention, though I don't know enough about astronomy to know if it's standard or not, just hear Phil Plait reference LGMs from time to time.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:So on a slight tangent away from if this is a signal or just some natural space anomaly...let me ask you guys this question. What if we got positive evidence that there was distant, intelligent, alien life? Nothing threatening, just a "hey we are out here too." message. Nothing close by, but not too far. However nothing in their communications saying they have the ability to travel that long of a distant to stop in for a visit...just an acknowledgement that they exist and they know we exist.

If that news hit today, would life on Earth go on as usually or would everything unravel into chaos?
That would depend a lot upon what could be evidenced to be the most likely threat or non-threat. A threat would cause quite a bit of panic. There are those that can't help themselves but to take advantage of a good crisis.

Lack of much anything conclusive of a non-threat, yet proof positive of extraterrestrial existence would be almost as bad as a serious threat. People often fear what they don't know and/ or understand; it is a Darwinian defense mechanism.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:19 pm

So I've been doing some looking into this and actually found something just posted by IFLS (I fucking love science).... Turns out...... It's the microwaves in the dishes breakroom....

http://www.iflscience.com/space/astrono ... eads-ovens
One clue Petroff had was that all recorded perytons were observed during daylight, and indeed during business hours. When the observatory at Parkes installed a radio frequency interference (RFI) monitor, it picked up signals coinciding with some perytons detected by the famous dish. This confirmed the local nature of the events and indicated the signal was also occurring at frequencies beyond what the radio telescope can detect.

Using this information, Petroff narrowed down the possibilities until she eventually identified the source—microwave ovens in the observatory tea room opened while in operation. A test conducted on March 17 confirmed two ovens could reproduce perytons whenever the telescope was pointed appropriately. Although modern ovens have automatic mechanisms to switch-off when opened prematurely, it seems they don't do this without complaint. “We're still not sure how they are causing this signal,” Petroff says, “It might have something to do with discharge of energy in the oven's magnetron when shutting down.”
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:24 pm

How is any part of this a disaster in current events?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:34 pm

zero11010 wrote:How is any part of this a disaster in current events?
Damn I'm on my phone and can't copy image location.... So I'll just say it...

Because Aliens
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Halfapint wrote:So I've been doing some looking into this and actually found something just posted by IFLS (I fucking love science).... Turns out...... It's the microwaves in the dishes breakroom....

One clue Petroff had was that all recorded perytons were observed during daylight, and indeed during business hours. When the observatory at Parkes installed a radio frequency interference (RFI) monitor, it picked up signals coinciding with some perytons detected by the famous dish. This confirmed the local nature of the events and indicated the signal was also occurring at frequencies beyond what the radio telescope can detect.

Using this information, Petroff narrowed down the possibilities until she eventually identified the source—microwave ovens in the observatory tea room opened while in operation. A test conducted on March 17 confirmed two ovens could reproduce perytons whenever the telescope was pointed appropriately. Although modern ovens have automatic mechanisms to switch-off when opened prematurely, it seems they don't do this without complaint. “We're still not sure how they are causing this signal,” Petroff says, “It might have something to do with discharge of energy in the oven's magnetron when shutting down.”
The self-correcting nature of science at work. Too bad the reporting jumped the gun.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Maybe the aliens are communicating through the microwaves. I always felt like TV dinners made my intestines feel like there were an alien ready to blow out of my like Sigorney Weaver.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:10 pm

Halfapint wrote:
zero11010 wrote:How is any part of this a disaster in current events?
Damn I'm on my phone and can't copy image location.... So I'll just say it...

Because Aliens
Because of Alien microwave ovens?
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:00 pm

"Wait a minute...Dan, were you warming up a goddamn burrito while I was doing the tests?!"
"...I was hungry..."
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 pm

Halfapint wrote:So I've been doing some looking into this and actually found something just posted by IFLS (I fucking love science).... Turns out...... It's the microwaves in the dishes breakroom....

It was already known that the perytons were of terrestrial origin. That is how they got their name.
There is still a healthy number of observations that don't fit in this catagory.
But I love the burrito thing... :crazy:

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:12 am

Sounds like a scene from the Big Bang Theory:
Howard: "Well, in actuality, what your equipment detected wasn’t so much evidence of paradigm-shifting monopoles as it was… static from the electric can opener we were turning on and off."

Sheldon: "You tampered with my experiment? But I’ve already sent an e-mail to everyone at the university explaining that I have confirmed string theory and forever changed man’s understanding of the universe."

Leonard: "Aw, see, yeah, you probably shouldn’t have done that."

On a more serious note, had this been real, us trying to contact them would be like a canary taunting a tiger with no cage in between...it would likely only end in disaster, and we could only blame ourselves for it.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:17 pm

Wraith6761 wrote: had this been real,
The catagory of FRB's known as perytons were already known to be of terrestrial origin. It was just a question of what was causing the signal.
There are quite a number of other signals that don't appear to be caused by anything in our galactic neighborhood.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”