20 dead so far due to "Siberian Express" cold front

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

20 dead so far due to "Siberian Express" cold front

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:27 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... press.html

At least 20 people have died in the US after the Siberian Express, a weather system of freezing arctic air, sent temperatures plummeting to record lows.

Nine people died in Tennessee, one of the worst hit areas.

In Canada, a three-year-old boy was discovered curled up in the snow after wandering into the cold night wearing only a nappy, T-shirt and boots.

Elijah Marsh was found close to his grandmother's home in temperatures of -19C but later died in hospital.
The bitter weather, which also caused Niagara Falls to ice over, is caused by cold air arriving from Siberia after travelling over the North Pole.

Thorne
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Shaun of the Dead

Re: 20 dead so far due to "Siberian Express" cold front

Post by Thorne » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:43 pm

That kid broke my heart.. he made it about 4-500 meters before the cold got him...

We've lost 2-3 homeless as well to the cold.
Education on the value of freedoms reserved by the Bill of Rights should be a prerequisite for being a citizen of any nation. If we can't think for ourselves, then we're just putty in the hands of those in power. If citizens are educated and form their own opinions, then those in power work for us.

Carl Edward Sagan (9 Nov '34 – 20 Dec '96)

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:38 am

And I'll probably have to drive to work on ice, yay!
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:31 am

I was not ready to process the news about the little boy, can't even imagine coping with something like that.

I live in Northern Illinois, so this type of extreme winter weather is not new in my AO. I do have quite a bit of family in the Atlanta and Savannah GA regions and they are positively mystified. Fortunately they are all originally from Chicago so all the lessons learned from they youth here are coming back in a flash.

We had some reprieve in the temperatures this past Saturday and Sunday but today we are back to -2F / -19C, without any windchill factored in.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 am

mr_slappy75 wrote:I was not ready to process the news about the little boy, can't even imagine coping with something like that.

I live in Northern Illinois, so this type of extreme winter weather is not new in my AO. I do have quite a bit of family in the Atlanta and Savannah GA regions and they are positively mystified. Fortunately they are all originally from Chicago so all the lessons learned from they youth here are coming back in a flash.

We had some reprieve in the temperatures this past Saturday and Sunday but today we are back to -2F / -19C, without any windchill factored in.
Same in my area of southeast PA. All last week the high temps were in the teens and the lows were single digits or zero. We got a quick snowstorm drop about 4 to 6 inches on Saturday, then Sunday it shot up to the high 40's which felt almost balmy. The snow was melting like crazy Sunday, and now the temps are dropping back down to single digits (-1 tonight) with this new blast of cold, so everything will be freezing up.

Thankfully we were not hammered with snow like the folks in Boston, but we are definitely sick of the cold.

Speak about the cold and Siberia, a woman hiker who grew up in Sibera, died a few days ago hiking the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Supposedly she was an "expert" hiker, but -30 temps and close to 100mph wind gust has a way of weeding out even those that may be experienced.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-h ... mountains/

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/02/16/w ... reme-cold/
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:51 pm

-2 right now in my AO. But it's been colder so whatever. :(

Makes you think real hard about your cold weather preps.
WWSD?

Towanda

Re: 20 dead so far due to "Siberian Express" col

Post by Towanda » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 pm

3 °F around here right now. I'm happy that I finally got a remote starter today.

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:05 am

We had about a 1-2 thousand people trapped on the interstate last Friday night not far from here. Mostly truckers, whose trucks could not move on 1/2" of ice. Some people abandoned their vehicles and tried to walk several miles on slick ice in sub freezing temperature to the nearest exit ramp and had to be rescued by the police.

Notes:
1. Don't drive on ice
2. If you ignore rule 1 use tire chains/ cables if legal
3. Keep extra water/ food in your car in case you get stuck
4. Don't let your fuel tank get below half
5. When traveling; If things start getting real bad stop right away and find a hotel room, unless you don't mind sleeping in your car.
6. Trying to walk several miles in subzero weather without winter clothing is one way to make the national news.
7. Keep appropriate cold weather gear in your vehicle in the winter
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:57 am

-15 degrees this morning- Yay :wink:
WWSD?

Towanda

Re: 20 dead so far due to "Siberian Express" col

Post by Towanda » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

11 degrees here with a wind chill of -8.

Sent via carrier wave.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”