Researchers warn US should prepare for megadrought

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Researchers warn US should prepare for megadrought

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:58 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 45747.html

Not very comforting, considering I live in Colorado where historically, droughts of 50 years or more have been recorded (and caused a mass exodus of native American tribes around 1300).

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Researchers warn US should prepare for megadrought

Post by ineffableone » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:28 pm

I have been warning folks around me since Oct that we are likely going to have a hot dry summer. For some reason they kept telling me they thought it was going to be really wet. I hope I was not right because wet would be preferred to dry right now with this drought coming in 2050.

Edit to add,

Thought I would share this video from NASA Goddard about this story

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:20 am

I wonder how the scientists compare current rainfalls to historical records.

Reaching a snapshot of 1890-1920 might be difficult while comparing annual rainfall to a running 130 year average might supply a more accurate benchmark.

In fact, a 50 year running average might suggest annual rainfalls may currently be fairly typical. For all we know, it might have been abnormally wet 100 years ago.
Boldly going nowhere

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Zimmy wrote:I wonder how the scientists compare current rainfalls to historical records.

Reaching a snapshot of 1890-1920 might be difficult while comparing annual rainfall to a running 130 year average might supply a more accurate benchmark.

In fact, a 50 year running average might suggest annual rainfalls may currently be fairly typical. For all we know, it might have been abnormally wet 100 years ago.
I'm not entirely sure which question you're asking, but I think you're asking "How do they know how much it used to rain?".

There's several answers to that.

Obviously, if it's within the time people have been recording weather, they just look at the records :lol: There's surprisingly long-term records about general rain and general temperature because, after all, those two things matter quite a lot to someone who lives and dies by their crops. They tend to get written down in explicit records like weather station logs and implicit records like diaries of homesteaders.

On the slightly longer scale, trees and other plants tell us a lot by the way they grow. You can look at a harvested tree, for instance, and sort out the "had enough water" years from the "really didn't have much water" years. While you usually can't derive actual rainfall volume from that, you can see historic trends of how many years in a row a typical wet spell lasts, how frequently droughts happen, how long droughts tend to last, and even make some inferences about how severe the droughts or wets were. In many areas, this technique can offer several hundred (up to about a thousand) years of climate record.

On a geologic timescale, you can look at the kinds of plants that grew in various areas at various times and make inferences about what the climate must have been like at the time. For instance, if you have a layer of rock with a lot of fossilized ferns and other water-loving plants with a layer of rock containing a lot of fossilized cactus above it, it shows you that the region dried out over time.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:45 pm

williaty wrote:
Zimmy wrote:I wonder how the scientists compare current rainfalls to historical records.

I'm not entirely sure which question you're asking, but I think you're asking "How do they know how much it used to rain?".

There's several answers to that.

Obviously, if it's within the time people have been recording weather, they just look at the records :lol: There's surprisingly long-term records about general rain and general temperature because, after all, those two things matter quite a lot to someone who lives and dies by their crops. They tend to get written down in explicit records like weather station logs and implicit records like diaries of homesteaders.

On the slightly longer scale, trees and other plants tell us a lot by the way they grow. You can look at a harvested tree, for instance, and sort out the "had enough water" years from the "really didn't have much water" years. While you usually can't derive actual rainfall volume from that, you can see historic trends of how many years in a row a typical wet spell lasts, how frequently droughts happen, how long droughts tend to last, and even make some inferences about how severe the droughts or wets were. In many areas, this technique can offer several hundred (up to about a thousand) years of climate record.

On a geologic timescale, you can look at the kinds of plants that grew in various areas at various times and make inferences about what the climate must have been like at the time. For instance, if you have a layer of rock with a lot of fossilized ferns and other water-loving plants with a layer of rock containing a lot of fossilized cactus above it, it shows you that the region dried out over time.

I understand the science. I'm curious what the methodology is researchers use to create a benchmark to compare current weather to. If they judge this is a drought, there must be an "average" that is compared to.

I don't think a millennia long span is very relevant to current events although averaging the really wet decades and really dry decades into the milder centuries could indicate things are now anywhere between drier or wetter in average over the thousand years average.
Boldly going nowhere

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:19 pm

Good question, I think there's a variety of methods - some of them using tree-ring width, since they can't grow as much in drought years. I'm kinda hoping a couple of the ZSers who are into such things drop by with a better answer tho. (Fake edit Hi williaty!)

I did find this nifty tool for calculating how much of your household water need you can supply with rainwater, and how big a storage reservoir you'd need based on roof size, location in the world, and water need. I thought it was pretty cool.http://www.samsamwater.com/rain/ I initially thought I would only be able to provide about 1/9th of our usual water use, but then I realized I'd miscalculated the roof size! Bottom line, I should be able to maintain my current lifestyle on rainwater WITHOUT plumbing for greywater. Dryer areas obviously may have bigger issues. (And I am aware that Colorado state law is... complicated...)

I remember a thread about the NoCal shortages last year, where some tips were collected. Because the amount of water my household uses in a month is still kinda insane (and we're already relatively water efficient!) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=114174&p=2543826&h ... t#p2543826

I found that calculator because I stumbled across this technical wiki for water and sanitation projects. (while looking up tippy taps for the next glamping trip because hand hygiene. Everything's connected...) http://akvopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:30 pm

The one saving grace I think we will have here in the PNW is that hopefully we'll get more rain during the summer. We've gotten LOTS of rain this winter, but it's been so warm that the snow pack is nearly non existent. We haven't had a drought up here in the last decade, but we've had great snow packs. So we'll see what happens locally to the PNW, this summer. As for CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK, and some of the other states in the SW they are already in the midst of a very bad drought.

CA reservoir levels
http://blogs.kqed.org/climatewatch/file ... 08-053.jpg
http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscms/2 ... 831f93.jpg

TX reservoir levels
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Compo ... ght-01.jpg
http://today.agrilife.org/wp-content/up ... 013-HR.jpg

OK reservoir levels
http://www.oklahomafarmreport.com/wire/ ... 262012.jpg
http://ama-cdn.com/sites/default/files/ ... 692638.jpg

So yea the west and such is in pretty bad spot, especially the southwest.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:02 pm

For those of us on the West Coast where the drought is supposed to be the worst here is a nifty little graphic showing how at risk your region is.

And since I don't remember seeing it posted yet, here is a link to the actual scientific paper that is cited for the megadrought news. http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/1/e1400082
And here is a good layperson explanation of what the paper says. http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog ... ntury.html
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Just had this article come up on my news feed from NASA.

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/february ... OFafom9LCR
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Anything with "climate" is going to be a hot topic for some. Personally it does for me what I think it does for you. If we have some sort of major catastrophic event, places that are currently in a drought are going to be pretty susceptible do conflicts over resources.

If this mega drought continues to trend the way it is/has having hundreds of gallons of water will become a necessity.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:51 am

It doesn't look like anyone has posted the actual paper so far, so for those who like to get information straight from the source, here it is.

The Southwest is poised to experience drought conditions unprecedented in at least 1000 years within a decade or so if it isn't there already.

You can also see how the big expansion into the southwest coincided with an abnormally wet period.
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:53 am

Sorry folks I'm locking this briefly for a review.

Normal service should resume shortly.
Man is a beast of prey

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Re-opening the thread.

Keep the discussion civil please.

If the discussion can't be had in an adult fashion we'll treat you like children and lock the thread :wink:
Man is a beast of prey

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:54 pm

the_alias wrote:Re-opening the thread.

Keep the discussion civil please.

If the discussion can't be had in an adult fashion we'll treat you like children and lock the thread :wink:
I never claimed to be an adult :awesome:

But warning heeded

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:55 pm

So what about that water?

Duodecima's handy link (thanks for that!) suggests I can get 85 litres per day on average from my harvestable roof area (I could up that to ~105 by adding gutters to my outbuildings). That's a fair bit less than my current household average usage of 250 litres per day, but enough for my four-person household to meet the recommended minimum of 20 litres per person per day. The link also suggests that in order to make best use of my rainfall I need 2200 litres of tankage, which shows my current ~450 litres to be woefully inadequate :shock:

I've wondered about digging a big hole and dropping one of those 1000-litre IBCs. Might have to think a bit harder about it ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
Grid tie solar PV in southern England
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:59 pm

ghostface wrote:It doesn't look like anyone has posted the actual paper so far, so for those who like to get information straight from the source, here it is.
Thanks!

In the discussion they say, "Here, we have demonstrated that the mean state of drought in the late 21st century over the Central Plains and Southwest will likely exceed even the most
severe megadrought periods of the Medieval era
in both high and moderate future emissions scenarios, representing an unprecedented fundamental climate shift with respect to the last millennium."

So even if they are off a little in their projections and it's only almost as bad as the previous Medieval era droughts (instead of worse), still would be really bad given current water situations in the southwest and midwest that are unsustainable in current conditions.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:11 pm

In the midwest for example the Ogallala Aquifer (and others) are being depleted to the point of catastrophe. This is due to overpumping for agricultural reasons. The same is true in California. Even if somehow a trace atmospheric gas were involved it would not matter in the least. The ecosystem, which was mostly desert to begin with, has been completely destroyed in California.

To think that we have changed the surface of the earth completely and this somehow does not have an effect on the eco system really is an ignoble attempt to defy both history and logic.

Last edited by Stercutus on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:57 pm

Doesn't this belong in CP&P anyway? The prediction is for ~35 years from now and not a current event, though the California drought (which has its own thread) may be related.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:34 am

For the sake of this thread which actually is rather important. How about we take this to PM instead of attacks.

Back to what the OP was talking about drought = less water for all. The only way I see getting but would be to install a buch of the IBU containers. I was looking at a double stack system for my moms house. Use some iron, weld a frame that could hold 2 of the 250 or 500gal tanks one on top of the other (if your roof is high enough for that). Then put some PVC plumbing in to drain the top tank into the bottom, giving you a pretty good gravity feed which = pressure.

You could even put some solar panels on the south facing side. Along with batteries used the tanks to protect them from the elements. And hook a bilge pump to it and you ok could keep the system charged like your city water.

If you're worried about contanimiation you could connect your down spout to a 5gal bucket with sand and activated charcoal to filter the water before it goes into the IBU containers giving you filtered water.

The biggest problem I see would be winters. You'd have to have these containers pretty well insulated. Not only the containers but the pipes going to your house. That's something you'd have to work out. I suppose you could get some heat wrap and have it warped around your pimps to keep them from freezing but I don't know how well that would work outside in the elements.

At my moms house there's a spot out behind the garage that I could fit 4 of the 500gal tanks no problem. That would give am easy 2000 gallons of water. There are a few places that I could fit the 250gal tanks adding even more storage. Myself I've been steadily stocking up on my bottled water I'm not up to the amount I had before I moved and had to leave the majority of my water storage behind. But I'm getting back to a comfortable amount.

Edit/fake edit: damn you autocorrect, this was done on my phone so forgive me for miso endings (misspellings) and grammar.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:49 am

Halfapint wrote:For the sake of this thread which actually is rather important. How about we take this to PM instead of attacks.

Back to what the OP was talking about drought = less water for all. The only way I see getting but would be to install a buch of the IBU containers. I was looking at a double stack system for my moms house. Use some iron, weld a frame that could hold 2 of the 250 or 500gal tanks one on top of the other (if your roof is high enough for that). Then put some PVC plumbing in to drain the top tank into the bottom, giving you a pretty good gravity feed which = pressure.

You could even put some solar panels on the south facing side. Along with batteries used the tanks to protect them from the elements. And hook a bilge pump to it and you ok could keep the system charged like your city water.

If you're worried about contanimiation you could connect your down spout to a 5gal bucket with sand and activated charcoal to filter the water before it goes into the IBU containers giving you filtered water.

The biggest problem I see would be winters. You'd have to have these containers pretty well insulated. Not only the containers but the pipes going to your house. That's something you'd have to work out. I suppose you could get some heat wrap and have it warped around your pimps to keep them from freezing but I don't know how well that would work outside in the elements.

At my moms house there's a spot out behind the garage that I could fit 4 of the 500gal tanks no problem. That would give am easy 2000 gallons of water. There are a few places that I could fit the 250gal tanks adding even more storage. Myself I've been steadily stocking up on my bottled water I'm not up to the amount I had before I moved and had to leave the majority of my water storage behind. But I'm getting back to a comfortable amount.

Edit/fake edit: damn you autocorrect, this was done on my phone so forgive me for miso endings (misspellings) and grammar.
Good post! With 2,000 gallons (7600 Liters) how would we ration that water to fit the water hierarchy pyramid that the WHO group publishes?
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:43 am

Doing some rough work I found that the majority of my moms water usage is cleaning. Being the BOL for myself (it would only be her and myself). We always went boating and camping in campers we know how to conserve water in showers very well. But she loves cooking and uses lots of pans/dishes. She also always has a load of laundry going, towels, clothes, whatever. So limiting those two things would really drop the water usage down.

So really the majority of that would be cooking and drinking water. I haven't done this yet but I'll be house sitting for mom while she takes off for a couple months to travel Europe. She might come back to 500-1000gal of water storage :awesome:

Something I really want to start doing is figuring out a good place to store water long term. Mom lives in a ranch style house with a crawl space I was thinking of clearing an area under the crawl space access and putting some storage for water there. But besides drought our big concern is earth quakes. If a big one hits we can't guarantee that the house would make it, and if hate for a lot of our water preps to get squished.

Edit: I've talked to mom about a "drought crop" right now we use very water intensive crops. But we do have some rain barrels set up for irrigation 4-55gal drums for that. But the base of them really needs to be replaced so I'm thinking that will be another project while mom is alway.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:52 am

I've just spent 15 minutes cleaning up the train wreck.

I doubt you'll find a mod this obliging again.

Apologies to anyone who has lost a beautifully-crafted drought-related point from the thread along the way.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
Grid tie solar PV in southern England
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:02 am

KGBrick wrote:Doesn't this belong in CP&P anyway? The prediction is for ~35 years from now and not a current event, though the California drought (which has its own thread) may be related.
The Midwest is predicted to be dry 2028. I think planning ahead is a good idea. They have slowed down the depletion some but it will all end in tears (dry dusty tears) in most of our lifetimes.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am

Stercutus wrote:
KGBrick wrote:Doesn't this belong in CP&P anyway? The prediction is for ~35 years from now and not a current event, though the California drought (which has its own thread) may be related.
The Midwest is predicted to be dry 2028. I think planning ahead is a good idea. They have slowed down the depletion some but it will all end in tears (dry dusty tears) in most of our lifetimes.
Also, the table that ghostface posted from the article being discussed (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=115471#p2570982) doesn't show that there will all of a sudden be a drought in 2050 or thereabouts. Rather, it's a downward trend from here. Based on the article, whatever the drought/water situation is now in your community, expect it to get steadily worse over time. For those that live in agriculturally based communities and depend on the community's economic prosperity (perhaps for employment), such communities may fall on harder, and harder economic times.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”