Deep Freeze Coming

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

mantis

Deep Freeze Coming

Post by mantis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:51 pm

Environment Canada has issued weather warnings for South Central Ontario this weekend for what they are terming "Dangerous low temperatures." Temps are expected to drop into the -23 to -25 celsious range with 80 km/h winds. The result will be wind chills in the range of -40 celsius. There will be some snow fall with northern areas expecting as much as 10cm of snow PER HOUR and extreme whiteouts due to blowing snow. Officials are cautioning against all unnecessary travel and urge people to limit their exposure out of doors during this cold snap. Exposed skin could begin to freeze in minutes.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Deep Freeze Coming

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:44 pm

I used to live right across the river south of Kingston. I remember some cold winters up there.

mantis

Post by mantis » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:49 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I used to live right across the river south of Kingston. I remember some cold winters up there.
It does get cold but this is way out of the normal. We didn't get this cold even during the "polar vortex" last year.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:24 pm

It's cold all over - Here (Alaska) is was sunny and got up to 25F. I think there is a leak somewhere and all the cold air is running down the East coast....

In the news - "Yale anti-fossil fuel campaigners have indefinitely postponed a protest that was set for this weekend due to “unfavorable weather conditions and other logistical issues.”

Fossil Free Yale, a group pushing the university to divest itself from fossil fuels, told the Yale Daily News that frigid, snowy weather set for this weekend will mean their global warming protest will have to be postponed.

FFY’s Mitch Barrow said that “unfavorable weather conditions and other logistical issues, including some cancellations from speakers and performance groups” would mean they would not be able to rally on Global Divestment Day — a day where environmental groups urge institutions like Yale to divest from fossil fuels, like coal, natural gas and oil.

As this reporter writes this article, the weather in New Haven, Connecticut where Yale is located stands at -9 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill. Saturday is expected to have weather in the low 30s with snow and Sunday will be 20 degrees with snow and rain, according to the Weather Channel."

Boston has been buried in snow. Crazy stuff....

Source
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:46 pm

You central and eastern guys are really getting battered. Here in Seattle we've been setting records for hear. I think it was 65 degrees F. Our snow pack in the Mountains is nearly gone.

Good luck with your cold snap.

Edit: damnyouautocorrect
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:40 am

There's a wind chill warning here in Southeastern Michigan until Sunday. Temperatures will bottom out between -5 and -15 F (-20 and -26 C) with wind chills around -25 F (-31 C).
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:55 am

Pro tip: burn the tax code for heat first.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:11 am

32 below yesterday morning in NNY with 4' of snow on the ground. We haven't been above freezing for a month.
Worst winter in a while. 2 of my hens have comb damage---last time was in 1987 when we hit 40 below.
We may do that again Sunday night. I always chuckle when someone mentions global warming

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Boston getting hammered with record snowfalls (good pictures).

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-1 ... -right-now

For some it may have been the hottest year on record (if only with the use of seasonally-adjusted, well, seasons). For Bostonians, the past 30 day stretch has just smashed all-time monthly snowfall records.

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Stercutus wrote:Pro tip: burn the tax code for heat first.
It does seem to be a renewable resource :lol:

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:48 pm

100 million affected by bitter cold. Hope a few million of them will see the light and recognize their need to be prepared for such things as weather-related disruptions.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/ne ... -northeast

We are tracking a second surge of arctic air that will keep the central and eastern United States shivering into the new week ahead.

The first surge of cold air spread from the Midwest to the East Coast. Another blast of frigid air is being pulled southward by Winter Storm Neptune, now over the Northeast.

Many locations have a chance to see their coldest weather of the winter. In fact, some could see the lowest temperatures in years.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:29 pm

It is expected to drop to -28C early tomorrow morning with a wind chill of -40. That will be the coldest day ever for this region.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Walmart was packed here as well, people stocking up. I was only there to pick up a gun and some muffin-making supplies for ZS group meeting. Forgot to check the ammo aisle, thankfully me and my little basket skipped most of the lines.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Last night was not the night for the zipper on my work jacket to fail. I need to find something else before Thursday.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Towanda wrote:Last night was not the night for the zipper on my work jacket to fail. I need to find something else before Thursday.
Gaffer's tape to the rescue!

I ended up with a new winter coat this year. I was annoyed it had a hood, but the selection of Tall men's coats is very limited. Hated hoods as a kid. Turns out, I love the damned thing because the hood helps keep my neck warm which makes my back not lock up as much. That's a long way of saying I've been impressed with the selection of coats at Cabela's and they're clearancing them out right now. Might want to take a look.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:57 pm

I tell you there is nothing like a good solid drunk to stay warm or at least think you are. The temperature was 16 with the windchill around 3 last night. These guys were running around in t-shirts because it was a nice night. Oh, and lots of meth. That will keep you warm too.

Until you die of exposure.

Hats and gloves and dress in layers is probably a better technique. If you are herding drunk kids make sure they make it inside. Otherwise they could die.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Stercutus wrote:I tell you there is nothing like a good solid drunk to stay warm or at least think you are. The temperature was 16 with the windchill around 3 last night. These guys were running around in t-shirts because it was a nice night. Oh, and lots of meth. That will keep you warm too.

Until you die of exposure.

Hats and gloves and dress in layers is probably a better technique. If you are herding drunk kids make sure they make it inside. Otherwise they could die.
Yep. We had one case of seriously frostbit toes (as in, hmm, you may not get to keep the whole toe) here last year, from going out on a barcrawl in open-toed shoes. :roll: :gonk:

williaty - I actually matched the fabric and added a hood to my long wool coat for that reason!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:22 am

Williaty, I learned that Sierra Trading Post has some good deals on Carhartt vests just now. One of those with a pullover hoodie and proper layering under that should hit the right balance between staying warm when I'm outside my cab and not overheating when I'm inside it.

On the subject of underdressed college kids at bar time, temperatures like this are the only time I'm willing to give a free ride to someone who missed the last bus to North Campus.

Sent via carrier wave.

mantis

Post by mantis » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:12 am

It is -28C outside my door right now and with wind chill, it feels like -38. Even my Labrador Retriever Brutus won't go outside for any longer than it takes him to do his business and get back inside!

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:03 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-o ... now-2015-2

New England is getting hit with a snowstorm of historic proportions.

Some parts of the region were buried in more than two feet of snow over the weekend, according to The New York Times. Boston got hit especially hard. Some mounds of snow in the city have reached 15 feet high, The Times notes.

Several people have already died from effects of the storm, according to The Weather Channel.

This blizzard is just the latest in a series of storms that have blanketed the region with snow this winter. This February has become Boston's snowiest month on record, according to The Boston Globe. The city has seen 58.5 inches of snow this month — the previous record was set in January 2005 and was 15 inches less than this month's snowfall.

Junglesmuggler

Post by Junglesmuggler » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 am

Here in the North East of England it's sunny and we have only ever had an inch of snow since last November. Lowest temp so far about -2C. Just thought I'd throw that in to cheer you all up. Stay alive my friends.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Couple inches sticking right now. Looks like a cartel plane exploded over ESTL.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:49 pm

New England got over 100 inches. Here's what that looks like on the ground.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 49860.html

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:02 pm

The mid-Atlantic is taking a beating, even as the rest of the world is well above normal.

Globally, we just had the second hottest January on record (second only to an El Niño year in 2007), and so far February is even hotter.

The centered 12 month average from NASA looks like this (bearing in mind the most recent 12 month period isn't complete yet).

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”