Paris, France - Islamist Terror Attack on satirical magazine

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Paris, France - Islamist Terror Attack on satirical maga

Post by Boondock » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:25 pm

In my experience, the Paris cops don't seem adverse to firearms at all. But sidearm vs. rifle often ends poorly.

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:54 pm

I only mention it because i saw a report that some cops arrived and then left because they were unarmed but who knows if that is accurate or not.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Just got and update from MSNBC and CNN saying that 1 of the terrorist was killed and 2 others captured. Got the notifications on my mobile, so haven't checked any other news source.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Hmm, not seeing that yet. Hope it pans out that way...
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:04 pm

Halfapint wrote:Just got and update from MSNBC and CNN saying that 1 of the terrorist was killed and 2 others captured. Got the notifications on my mobile, so haven't checked any other news source.

yup

One of the suspects in the Paris attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine has been killed and the two others are in custody, a two senior U.S. counterterrorism officials told NBC News. Authorities identified the three men as Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, both French and in their early 30s, and 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, whose nationality wasn't immediately clear. One of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly discuss the investigation, told The Associated Press that the men were linked to a Yemeni terrorist network. And Cherif Kouachi was convicted in 2008 of terrorism...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Little information was immediately available about Mourad and Said Kouachi, but Cherif Kouachi has been suspected of involvement in terrorist groups for at least a decade. In January 2005, he and another French national were arrested in Paris as they were planning to fly to Iraq via Syria. Kouachi was described at the time as one of two deputies to the leader of an operation to send young volunteers to Iraq to fight U.S.-led forces.
Model citizens.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/paris- ... ay-n281761
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:25 am

The earlier reports may have been premature. The BBC are currently reporting that the youngest suspect has turned himself in to French police and that seven arrests have been made, but that the Kouachi brothers remain at large.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30721677
BBC wrote:Police in France have made seven arrests as they hunt for two named suspects over the deadly attack in Paris on staff at a satirical magazine. The seven, connected to the two main suspects, were detained in the towns of Reims and Charleville-Mezieres, as well as in the Paris area, police said.

Photos were released of two brothers suspected of involvement in the attack.
Arrest warrants were issued for Cherif and Said Kouachi, said to be "armed and dangerous". A third suspect has surrendered. Cherif Kouachi was sentenced in 2008 to three years in prison for belonging to a Paris-based group sending jihadist fighters to Iraq.

A third suspect, 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad handed himself in to police in Charleville-Mezieres. He reportedly surrendered after hearing his name on the news.
There are also reports of shots fired this morning near a Metro station in southern Paris. France24 has news footage from the scene and is reporting that one police officer had been seriously injured. It's not clear whether this is related to the Charlie Hebdo attack.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:50 am

sheddi wrote:There are also reports of shots fired this morning near a Metro station in southern Paris. France24 has news footage from the scene and is reporting that one policeman had been seriously injured. It's not clear whether this is related to the Charlie Hebdo attack.
There's a little more info coming out on this morning's shooting. The incident was in the Montrouge district of southern Paris, with two injured parties - a police officer (who may since have succumbed to their injuries) and a city worker (said to be less severely injured). Reports also of rifle casings found at the scene.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:21 am

TacAir wrote:
Halfapint wrote:Just got and update from MSNBC and CNN saying that 1 of the terrorist was killed and 2 others captured. Got the notifications on my mobile, so haven't checked any other news source.

yup

One of the suspects in the Paris attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine has been killed and the two others are in custody, a two senior U.S. counterterrorism officials told NBC News. Authorities identified the three men as Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, both French and in their early 30s, and 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, whose nationality wasn't immediately clear. One of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to publicly discuss the investigation, told The Associated Press that the men were linked to a Yemeni terrorist network. And Cherif Kouachi was convicted in 2008 of terrorism...
None of this is at all confirmed.

Really makes you question certain news sources.

--------------------------------------------
In the morning attack it is now being reported that a policewoman has been shot dead

Unclear if related....
Man is a beast of prey

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:36 am

This is interesting.

BBC wrote:The two main suspects [Cherif and Said Kouachi] in the Islamist attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris are said to have robbed a service station in the north of France. They stole food and petrol, firing shots as they struck at the roadside stop near Villers-Cotterets in the Aisne region, French media report.

According to the manager of the service station that was robbed on the RN2 road in Aisne at about 10:30 (09:30 GMT), the attackers fit the description of the two men, and were heavily armed with Kalashnikovs and rocket-propelled grenade launchers. They are said to have driven off in the direction of Paris in a Renault Clio car, apparently the same vehicle hijacked in Paris soon after the Charlie Hebdo attack.

According to French commercial channel BFMTV, police are monitoring all of the main entry roads into the capital.
If the gunmen are knocking over service stations for food and fuel it suggests that they don't have a safe bolt-hole to lie low in. It's possible they didn't plan this far ahead, or they have no covert supporters, or the police arrests last night swept up all their sympathisers.

Whichever it is they now seem to be making it up as they go along.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:03 am

Reports in the French press that the two gunmen have been found in the small town of Villers-Cotterêts, not far from the service station they robbed earlier.

http://www.courrier-picard.fr/france-mo ... 0b0n497093
Courrier-Picard wrote:Les deux suspects ont été repérés jeudi à la mi-journée près de Villers-Cotterêts (Aisne), et un déploiement du Raid et du GIGN est actuellement en cours dans cette zone. Les unités d’élite de la police et de la gendarmerie nationales «sont positionnées pour vérification d’objectifs dans cette zone, où a été abandonnée la voiture utilisée par les deux suspects, identifiés par un témoin», a expliqué à l’AFP une source policière.
My translation:
The two suspects were spotted at midday on Thursday near Villers-Cotterets (Aisne), and deployment of RAID and GIGN [two French counter-terrorist police units] is currently under way in this area. The elite police and gendarmerie units "are positioned to identify targets in the area, where the two suspects abandoned their car, identified by a witness," said a police source to AFP.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:49 am

sheddi wrote:Mashable has a page reporting what is currently known about the victims.

http://mashable.com/2015/01/07/charlie-hebdo-victims/
Quoting selectively:
Ten people who worked at or with the satirical French newspaper Charlie Hebdo and two police officers were killed on Wednesday in an attack at the publication's Paris offices. At least 11 others were wounded, four of whom are in critical condition, and a massive manhunt for the gunmen is under way.

Below, we've rounded up what we know about the victims who were killed.

Stéphane Charbonnier ("Charb"), editor in chief and publisher of Charlie Hebdo.
Stéphane Charbonnier, known simply as "Charb" to readers of the magazine, faced years of death threats over the publication's various lampoons of the Prophet Muhammad. He began living with police protection after the Charlie Hebdo offices were fired-bombed in 2011, and was named as one of al-Qaeda's "most wanted" in a 2013 issue of "Inspire." But Charbonnier refused to relent. "I'd rather die standing than live on your knees," he said in a 2012 interview, adding that he had "no fear of retaliation."
He was the first person killed in what French President Francois Hollande has condemned as an act of "extreme barbarity." The gunmen reportedly asked for Charbonnier by name while the staff assembled in an editorial meeting, according to Christophe Crepin, a police union spokesman on the scene.

Jean Cabut, lead cartoonist at Charlie Hebdo.
Jean Cabut, 76, was the magazine's lead cartoonist. He was known by his pen name Cabu. “Sometimes laughter can hurt, but laughter, humor and mockery are our only weapons,” he said in 2012 interview. His death was confirmed by a company lawyer.

Bernard Velhac, cartoonist at Charlie Hebdo.
Bernard Velhac, known by his pen name Tignous, was also killed in Wednesday's shooting, according to the same company lawyer. He was 58.

Georges Wolinski, cartoonist at Charlie Hebdo.
Georges Wolinski, 80, was a Tunisia-born cartoonist who died alongside his colleagues Cabu, Tignous and Charb. Le Monde called him a "living embodiment of the freedom of the press" and a "dean and the spiritual father" to many cartoonists on Wednesday.
Wolinski once said that a humorist doesn't belong to any political party or religion. Asked about his own eventual death, Wolinski replied, "I want to be cremated. I said to my wife, you throw the ashes in the toilet so I see your ass every day."

Bernard Maris, economist at Charlie Hebdo.
Bernard Maris, a French economist, author and columnist who wrote under the pen name "Uncle Bernard," was killed in the attack, according to the BBC and Radio France. He was 68.

Michel Renaud, a guest.
Michel Renaud, creator of Carnet de voyage, a travel journal, was at the offices of Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday to work on an upcoming project. He was a friend of Jean Cabut, the cartoonist, who was guest of honor in the latest edition. One of Renaud's colleagues reportedly survived the attack by hiding under a table. Renaud was killed in the attack, according to a Paris prosecutor.

Ahmed Merabet, police officer.
Ahmed Merabet, age 42, was named by a Paris prosecutor as one of the victims of the Charlie Hebdo attack.
He was killed outside the building after he encountered the gunman while patrolling the 11th arrondissement. It is unknown if he is the same officer seen being shot at close range in eyewitness video that aired on French television earlier on Wednesday. "He leaves behind a wife," departmental secretary of the union SGP Police Unit, Rocco Contento, said. "We are all extremely shocked."

Franck D., special protection service.
Franck D., 49, was named as the second police officer killed in the attack.
French media say he was a member of the special protection service (SPHP) assigned to Stéphane Charbonnier. Colleagues told Le Figaro he leaves behind a young daughter.

Unnamed victims.
Three journalists and a receptionist remain unidentified.
I hate to say it, but it seems the attack was well planned in that those people involved with this supposedly offensive cartoon were directly targeted and killed. I would think that they were doing surveillance of the building's layout and on the victims for some time before the attack, and probably already knew about the Special Protection Police officer assigned to the editor.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Boondock wrote:In my experience, the Paris cops don't seem adverse to firearms at all. But sidearm vs. rifle often ends poorly.
I am gathering based on the reports that the unarmed police showed up first, left, then the armed police showed up, armed with pistols. The officer that died had charged the terrorists who mowed him down. Ballsy as hell but dead.

I must say I have been impressed with the French reaction to the shooting from the public and the government. I would never have thought that the French had that much more backbone than the Spanish. It is almost like someone insulted Voltaire personally or something.

There have been reports of one or more explosions in Paris.

At a mosque in Paris:

http://mashable.com/2015/01/08/restaura ... on-france/

They are thinking they may be closing in on the suspects:
Two armed suspects wanted over the Charlie Hebdo massacre are being pursued through woodland by anti-terror police in northern France, it has been reported.

The men, believed to be brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi, have been tracked down to a remote area around 80km north-east of Paris after reportedly robbing a nearby petrol station earlier this morning.

Officers are said to have found a Molotov cocktail bomb and jihadist flag in their car which they abandoned before fleeing on foot, still armed, into a forest measuring 32,000 acres, an area larger than Paris.

Swarms of armed police in armoured personnel carriers have sealed off the nearby village of Abbaye de Longpont, which has just 300 residents, as they conduct house-to-house enquiries with terrified locals.

At least two properties are surrounded by special forces armed with automatic weapons and body armour.

'This is not a game', one officer told MailOnline.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3OFZNzuKS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not a game indeed.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Stercutus wrote: <snip>

I must say I have been impressed with the French reaction to the shooting from the public and the government. I would never have thought that the French had that much more backbone than the Spanish. It is almost like someone insulted Voltaire personally or something.

<snip>
Could you expand on this point? Are you referring to Basque separatist terrorism? On my phone so I'm not able to look into it as much as I'd like.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:43 pm

phalanx wrote:
Stercutus wrote: <snip>

<snip>
Could you expand on this point? Are you referring to Basque separatist terrorism? On my phone so I'm not able to look into it as much as I'd like.
I was thinking of the Al Queda inspired Madrid Train Bombings of 2004 that resulted in the incumbent party losing the election and then the eventual withdraw of Spanish Military forces from the Middle East.
Twenty-eight percent of voters said that the bombings influenced their opinions and vote. A massive amount of 1 million voters switched their vote to the Socialist Party after the Madrid bombings. These voters who switched their vote were no longer willing to support the Popular Party’s stance on war policy. The bombings also influenced 1,700,000 citizens to vote who did not plan on originally voting. On the other hand, the terrorist attacks discouraged 300,000 people from voting. Overall, there was a net 4 percent increase in voter turnout.
With the French it is more like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 8yjNbcKkNY
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:25 pm

The cover of the issue of Charlie Hebdo that came out yesterday was a cartoon lampooning the anti-Islam author of a novel about how Muslim immigration destroyed France. It was the cover yesterday because that's when that author's latest book came out.

That anti-Muslim book saw its sales jump yesterday, as a result of the attack on the magazine that had satirized that anti-Muslim author.

I don't think irony is a strong enough word to describe the situation. Here's hoping the attackers are caught soon...

(eta forgot to add link http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-01-08/c ... l-and-none)
Last edited by duodecima on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:30 pm

"I guess one part of their plan that the terrorists didn't think through is now Charlie Hebdo's cartoons are being seen by millions around the world instead of a few thousand in Paris." ~ Andy Borowitz
Mostly not here anymore.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:49 pm

Reports are too fragmented for me to give you a single quotable source, but in summary:

- The French police continue to search house-to-house in the vicinity of Villers-Cotterêts;
- Police sources have told the AFP news agency that two suspects are in custody in connection with the fatal shooting of a policewoman in Paris this morning. The suspects are reportedly a 52-year-old man and one other; and
- The French Interior Ministry has confirmed nine people are now in custody in connection with the Charlie Hebdo shooting.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:20 pm

duodecima wrote:The cover of the issue of Charlie Hebdo that came out yesterday was a cartoon lampooning the anti-Islam author of a novel about how Muslim immigration destroyed France. It was the cover yesterday because that's when that author's latest book came out.

That anti-Muslim book saw its sales jump yesterday, as a result of the attack on the magazine that had satirized that anti-Muslim author.

I don't think irony is a strong enough word to describe the situation. Here's hoping the attackers are caught soon...

(eta forgot to add link http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-01-08/c ... l-and-none)
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am

Another officer murdered and a civilian shot trying to subdue the attacker.

http://conservativepost.com/new-jihad-a ... licewoman/
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

hondo

Re: Paris, France - mass shooting

Post by hondo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:12 am

phalanx wrote:I was reading about this on Reddit, and a poster mentioned the presence of weapons being smuggled due to the Balkan conflicts. I thought that sounded a little fishy but after a little research I found out a bit about weapon smuggling in Europe. From the 2012 EU conference “Fight against illicit trafficking in firearms”:
Legally owned weapons in the EU continue to feed the illegal market, powerful and highly dangerous weapons continue to be smuggled - apparently without great difficulty - over our external borders, notably from countries in the EU’s neighbourhood, where weak management of stockpiles, looting, and corruption fuel the illicit market. There is evidence that criminal groups creatively exploit new technologies, for example making and distributing weapons from spare parts bought legally on the Internet, by converting lawful air guns into more dangerous weapons, and by re-activating neutralized weapons bought both outside and inside the EU
Okay, not super specific. But then I found this from a WSJ article in 2010, sources come from Europol:
Rocket launchers or assault rifles such as AK-47s are available in the European Union for as little as €300 to €700, according to Europol, the European police agency based in The Hague.
Europol says organized crime groups and street gangs are “routinely using firearms in populated areas, posing a significant threat to the general public and law enforcement personnel.”
In a statement released this morning, Europol said the firearms mostly come in through suppliers in South East Europe.
“The establishment of firearms ‘pools’ in major cities in Western Europe has significantly increased the local availability of weapons to criminal hubs. This system of shared access gives criminals a rapid route to firearms that can be hired for a given period of time, as well as lowering the cost and the risk of being caught in possession,” the statement said.
I also found a really interesting report on Italian mafias that detail where they get their weapons:
http://www.smallarmssurvey.org/fileadmi ... r-4-EN.pdf
This chapter from a larger report indicates that criminal gangs in former Yugoslavia and Albania are a major source of weapons, which sometimes includes RPG’s.
So yeah, I guess I buy the argument that there could be RPG’s floating around Paris and one or more of them are in the hands of these terrorists. Unfortunately, I have a bad feeling that this might turn into a Mumbai-style run and gun series of attacks. Time will tell.

Sources:
Fight against illicit trafficking in firearmshttp://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SP ... 841_en.htm
Going Cheap in the EU: AK-47shttp://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2010/07/1 ... eu-ak-47s/

Edited to add this bit I just read in the linked PDF on Italian mafia arms:
Police seized two underground
bunkers that contained, among other weapons, 10 missiles, 10 bazookas, 50 AK-pattern rifles, 35 pistols, 7 sub-machine guns, 10 anti-tank bombs, 400 kg of explosives, and some bulletproof jackets; most of these weapons originated in Eastern Europe, the former Yugoslavia, Iran, and Afghanistan (Viviano, 1996, p. 20).
Most of illegal guns in Europe coming from Bosnia and Kosovo some from Macedonia less directly from Serbia and Croatia.
You have thousand of eighteen wheelers and passenger buses going from former Yugoslavia into western Europe every day. It is common for customs to find a bag full of guns on the bus and none of passenger claims it.
France being specific because high number of French citizens fought in Balkan wars.

hondo

Post by hondo » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:17 am

Stercutus wrote:
Boondock wrote:In my experience, the Paris cops don't seem adverse to firearms at all. But sidearm vs. rifle often ends poorly.
I am gathering based on the reports that the unarmed police showed up first, left, then the armed police showed up, armed with pistols. The officer that died had charged the terrorists who mowed him down. Ballsy as hell but dead.

There have been reports of one or more explosions in Paris.

At a mosque in Paris:

http://mashable.com/2015/01/08/restaura ... on-france/

They are thinking they may be closing in on the suspects:
Two armed suspects wanted over the Charlie Hebdo massacre are being pursued through woodland by anti-terror police in northern France, it has been reported.

The men, believed to be brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi, have been tracked down to a remote area around 80km north-east of Paris after reportedly robbing a nearby petrol station earlier this morning.

Officers are said to have found a Molotov cocktail bomb and jihadist flag in their car which they abandoned before fleeing on foot, still armed, into a forest measuring 32,000 acres, an area larger than Paris.

Swarms of armed police in armoured personnel carriers have sealed off the nearby village of Abbaye de Longpont, which has just 300 residents, as they conduct house-to-house enquiries with terrified locals.

At least two properties are surrounded by special forces armed with automatic weapons and body armour.

'This is not a game', one officer told MailOnline.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3OFZNzuKS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Not a game indeed.
Officer who charged them and got executed while laying on the ground wounded was Ahmed Merabet practicing Muslim not that it matters but it speaks volumes about attackers.
Female police officer who was wounded in the subway succumbed to her wounds. Allegedly this was not related to terrorist attack to me sounds like whitewashing.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:52 am

Breaking news of a car chase with shots fired, and reports of a hostage being taken north-east of Paris, near Dammartin-en-Goële.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30740115
BBC wrote:Charlie Hebdo hunt: Shots fired as police chase car

A number of shots have been fired north-east of Paris as police chase a car believed to contain gunmen who killed staff at Charlie Hebdo magazine.

Police sources reported the shooting and chase nearly 48 hours after the attack on the magazine's office, in which 12 people were killed.

At least one hostage was taken at a warehouse in the town of Dammartin-en-Goele, French media reports suggest.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:39 am

French police have surrounded the two suspects in a printing business on an industrial site near Danmartin. Shots may have been exchanged but the Interior Ministry denies earlier press reports of fatalities.
French police have surrounded a building in a northern town where two men suspected of the Charlie Hebdo massacre are said to have a hostage.

On the third day of a manhunt, shots were fired and there are reports of injuries in Dammartin-en-Goele, 35km (22 miles) from Paris. The suspected Islamists are reported to have said they are prepared to die.

Twelve people were shot dead and 11 injured in the attack on the satirical magazine in the centre of Paris. The suspects, two brothers who intelligence officials have linked to militant groups, shouted Islamist slogans during the shooting and then fled Paris in a hijacked car, heading north.

It appears that on Friday they hijacked another car in the town of Montagny-Sainte-Felicite before travelling on to Dammartin. The car's owner recognised them as brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi, the key suspects.

In a televised statement Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve confirmed the men being sought on Friday were those wanted for the Charlie Hebdo attack. "An operation is under way which is set to neutralise the perpetrators of the cowardly attack carried out two days ago," he said.

The suspects are said to be holed up in a small printing business named CTD, a source close to the investigation told AFP news agency. In Dammartin, witnesses say police are protecting people in buildings close by. Officers from the elite GIGN unit have told people working nearby to stay inside and turn lights off while the operation is going on.

People in the area say police helicopters began arriving around 08:45 (07:45 GMT) followed by convoys of armed officers. Some of those in premises in the industrial area where the suspects are cornered have been evacuated. Police and military helicopters continue to hover low over the area, while lines of armed officers are guarding the edge of the national highway were traffic continues to flow.

The security situation has affected flights at the main airport in Paris, which is in the vicinity. Officials at Paris Charles de Gaulle say they have changed landing and take-off patterns for aircraft in the light of the security situation.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”