Things Headed South in Iraq

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Things Headed South in Iraq

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:49 am

I heard on the news that the War in Iraq had ended a while back. Seems that report was premature. Currently the central government has lost control of Mosul, Fallujah, Ramadi (really all of Al Anbar Province) and lots of neighborhoods in Baghdad and Basrah. The central government itself is being threatened to the point where earlier this year the PM requested help from the US to keep him afloat. While this situation is not new I think it bears watching this summer, especially since the US has had so much involvement there over the years.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06 ... latestnews

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Things Headed South in Iraq

Post by Boondock » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:28 am

Stercutus wrote:I heard on the news that the War in Iraq had ended a while back. Seems that report was premature.
And is anyone who served in OIF the least bit surprised? :roll:

Richter

Post by Richter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:31 am

This has the potential of being a really political topic. But I'll say that I kinda expected this to happen (and I'm the same with Afghanistan). I believe that certain groups were just waiting for the withdrawal of US forces from the area to continue with their operations....

It's still unfortunate and I hope we don't get dragged back into this, although I doubt we will this time.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:13 pm

The last of the US troops left in December 18, 2011.

I bet their timeline was like this, 2012 - 2013 they reset up supply lines, weapons caches, reestablished relationship with sympathic locals , and observed the new governments security force's strengths and weaknesses. Early 2014 -Final plans were drawn up and targets picked for a late spring offensive.

At what point do you think the US military will be going back in?

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:23 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:The last of the US troops left in December 18, 2011.
2011 huh? Sounds like a decent interval.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Boondock wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I heard on the news that the War in Iraq had ended a while back. Seems that report was premature.
I'm not. In my experience, very few of the Iraqi soldiers were fighting for a cause over a paycheck. Same with the ANA.
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:52 pm

This is all over the UK news.

Apparently Tikrit has also fallen to ISIS:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-27800319
Islamist insurgents in Iraq have seized the city of Tikrit, their second major gain after capturing Mosul on Tuesday, security officials say. Tikrit, the hometown of former leader Saddam Hussein, lies 150km (95 miles) north of the capital Baghdad.

Iraqi PM Nouri Maliki vowed to fight back against the jihadists and punish those in the security forces who fled offering little or no resistance.
There were also reports on Wednesday of fighting further south, in Samarra, 110km north of Baghdad.

Separately, at least 21 people were killed and 45 hurt by a suicide bomber at a Shia meeting in Baghdad, police said.

As many as 500,000 people fled Mosul after the militants attacked the city. The head of the Turkish mission in Mosul and almost 50 consulate staff are being held by the militants, Turkish officials say. Turkey's foreign minister warned there would be "harsh retaliation" if any of its citizens were harmed.
The Iraqi army didn't feel like fighting over Mosul:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... ast-states
Iraq is facing its gravest test since the US-led invasion more than a decade ago, after its army capitulated to Islamist insurgents who have seized four cities and pillaged military bases and banks, in a lightning campaign which seems poised to fuel a cross-border insurgency endangering the entire region.

The extent of the Iraqi army's defeat at the hands of militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Isis) became clear on Wednesday when officials in Baghdad conceded that insurgents had stripped the main army base in the northern city of Mosul of weapons, released hundreds of prisoners from the city's jails and may have seized up to $480m in banknotes from the city's banks.

Iraqi officials told the Guardian that two divisions of Iraqi soldiers - roughly 30,000 men - simply turned and ran in the face of the assault by an insurgent force of just 800 fighters. Isis extremists roamed freely on Wednesday through the streets of Mosul, openly surprised at the ease with which they took Iraq's second largest city after three days of sporadic fighting.

Senior government officials in Baghdad were equally shocked, accusing the army of betrayal and claiming the sacking of the city was a strategic disaster that would imperil Iraq's borders.
There are unconfirmed reports (so treat with caution) of the Iraqi air force bombing their own abandoned bases to deny them (and the materiel they contain) to ISIS, of the Turkish air force bombing ISIS forces around Mosul under some international collective defence agreement, and of Iraqi troops forming a defensive line at Taji, 20 miles north of capital - the site of former US Forces Camp Cooke.

Looks like 2014 could prove to be a bad year for violent uprisings.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Boondock wrote:
Not in the least.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Boondock wrote: And is anyone who served in OIF the least bit surprised? :roll:
I have not been within 1,000 miles of Iraq and I saw this coming. No one should be surprised.

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:The last of the US troops left in December 18, 2011.

I bet their timeline was like this, 2012 - 2013 they reset up supply lines, weapons caches, reestablished relationship with sympathic locals , and observed the new governments security force's strengths and weaknesses. Early 2014 -Final plans were drawn up and targets picked for a late spring offensive.

At what point do you think the US military will be going back in?
I don't think we are headed back, that place sucked. I knew things were headed down hill when they mortared the Cinnabon on Victory...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't know that the US is going back. I kind of doubt it, at least any time soon for sure. All I know is that I am not going back.... ever.

A number of questions come to mind:

- Third state actors and what they will do.

Turkey will not stand for an independent state in the North and is likely to get highly pissed at their diplomatic mission being held hostage that they might just take unilateral action. How far they will take it is a big question? Any signs of trying to form a "Kurdistan" will likely get a large military operation beat down.

Iran will back their boy Maliki to the hilt. How much they are willing to commit to ensure a friendly relationship and keep a sort of proxy state is the question?

If North and West merge in to a state (less likely) or three (more likely) the central government will be forced into the awkward position of dealing or fighting, neither of which is palatable. So what Baghdad is capable of and what they will do to the separatists remains to be seen? These provinces have thriving black market trade so cutting them off will not be an easy option either.

I know that Maliki was warned on a number of occasions that he was creating perfect conditions for an insurgency to spring back up after the US was gone. I am not sure he could have done anything different and held on to power.
You go over and under
I go through

grennels

Post by grennels » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:49 pm

There is absolutely nothing I can say that wouldn't be construed as political.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 pm

I'll be surprised if there isn't a reboot of the Medhi army within the week.

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:50 pm

And just to see if the US is paying attention....
Four Russian strategic bombers triggered U.S. air defense systems while conducting practice bombing runs near Alaska this week, with two of the Tu-95 Bear H aircraft coming within 50 miles of the California coast, the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) confirmed Wednesday.
http://freebeacon.com/national-security ... nia-coast/

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Things are moving quick. They captured Beji today. That is where one of the only functioning refineries in the country is located. There is talk of the US launching air strikes against militia from both the Iraqi and US Governments:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/11/world/mea ... ?hpt=hp_t1

That is a pretty long article.
You go over and under
I go through

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Boondock wrote:I'll be surprised if there isn't a reboot of the Medhi army within the week.
I'm hearing on the radio that they're wearing matching uniforms with rank insignias and a CoC.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Tobias05 wrote:
Boondock wrote:I'll be surprised if there isn't a reboot of the Medhi army within the week.
I'm hearing on the radio that they're wearing matching uniforms with rank insignias and a CoC.
The Jesh Al Mahdi never really went away. That was part of the complaint. Shia could have militia with a wink and a nod and Sunni could not.
You go over and under
I go through

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:33 am

I wonder if we're going to get helicopters evacuating US personnel off the roof of the US Embassy again...
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 am

Mall Ninja wrote:I wonder if we're going to get helicopters evacuating US personnel off the roof of the US Embassy again...
And I thought I was the only one here who was reminded of South Vietnam.

History rarely repeats, but it often rhymes ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:20 am

sheddi wrote: And I thought I was the only one here who was reminded of South Vietnam.
The parallels are many. Google the phrase "decent interval".
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:43 am

uhmm ...Why did we invade them and spend all that money there in the first place?

Can't wait to hear the spin ... [edited by mod]

Really sounds rough over there but does show you what people can go through and still survive

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 am

Wow, looking at the history of ISIS they sound more like a modern day large band of Vikings or Mongols. They fought in Iraq with the US troops as al-Qaeda in Iraq, fought in Syria civil war and are still holding some territory there, dabbled in the Egypt uprising, held towns in Turkey (I never even seen this in the news), They are holding parts of Iraq, and they even have eyes on Lebanon. Even al-Qaeda itself tried to get a handle on them, lost control, al-Qaeda asked that they disband, they got laughed at, and as of Feb 2014 al-Qaeda wanted no part of them (that may change now).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_St ... the_Levant
The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (sometimes translated "Syria" instead of "Levant") (Arabic: الدولة الاسلامية في العراق والشام‎ ad-Dawlat al-Islāmiyya fī’l-‘Irāq wa’sh-Shām), abbreviated as ISIL or ISIS, is an active militant group in Iraq and Syria.[26] In its unrecognized self-proclaimed status as an independent state it claims the territory of Iraq and Syria, with implied future claims intended over more of the Levant (e.g. Lebanon). It was established in the early years of the Iraq War and pledged allegiance to al-Qaeda in 2004. The group was composed of and supported by a variety of insurgent groups, including its predecessor organisation, the Mujahideen Shura Council, Al-Qaeda in Iraq, Jaysh al-Fatiheen, Jund al-Sahaba, Katbiyan Ansar Al-Tawhid wal Sunnah, Jeish al-Taiifa al-Mansoura, etc., and other clans whose population profess Sunni Islam. It aimed to establish a caliphate in the Sunni majority regions of Iraq, later expanding this to include Syria.[27] In February 2014, after an eight-month power struggle, al-Qaeda cut all ties to ISIL.[28]
Current territory ISIS is holding as of "early" June 2014

Now they sacked Iraq military bases, and banks, so they got tons of weapons, equipment and cash.....wonderful. Remember in the 80's and 90's when no one knew who al-Qaeda was and thought they could never amount to much or harm anyone...ISIS is going to be a serious problem.
Last edited by Mikeyboy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:52 am

Stercutus wrote:The Jesh Al Mahdi never really went away …
Yup. I know. We used to call them Iraqi Police. Or Iraqi Army. Or … (Insert face palm).

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:53 am

Sent two of my guys to Dubai on an early visa run and my last guy in Baghdad is working for a company that has a 737 sitting on the deck for evacuation. Until two weeks ago I had a team at Biaji which ISIS (or ISIL depending on who you ask) took without a shot after the Iraqi Army abandoned their posts two nights ago.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”