Mud Slide in WA

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Redacted

Mud Slide in WA

Post by Redacted » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:20 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... e/6823195/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some emergencies really can't be accounted for. This happened over the weekend out here in the Evergreen State. The responding agencies haven't yet turned the event into a recovery. More over this sort of event isn't covered by most standard homeowners insurance policies so some of the survivors could be in a real financial dilemma depending on how this shakes out.

I was trying to mull over what sort of preparations a person could hypothetically make to mitigate risk if you insisted on living in such an area. There isn't a lot that comes to mind.
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

Wraith6761

Re: Mud Slide in WA

Post by Wraith6761 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:39 pm

If it's a fast moving slide, there's not much of anything you could do to prepare for it short of having a bunker already underground (and even then, you'd have to get into it and seal it up BEFORE the slide gets there)...kinda like an avalanche, unless you're close enough to an edge to GTFO before it hits you, there's not a whole lot that can be done.
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 pm

It's awful. 8 confirmed fatalities and 108 unaccounted for. 108. This looks like a major tragedy only starting to unfold.

What can you do? Pictures I've seen of the scene don't make it appear like this was a community recklessly built on an unstable hillside. More like the hill above this hamlet suddenly decided to split itself in two.

Armchair debriefers are going to claim the local geology had "disaster" written all over it and who knows; maybe they're right. But how sure are any of us that we're not sitting on some future landslide, sinkhole, or leaking gas main? Or residing in the next Lac-Megantic? Or for that matter, driving home right when a drunk driver decides to cross the center lane?

I file this one under "if your time's up ...."

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Trying to prep for this is near impossible. We get a lot of mud slides here, but this one is MASSIVE. It's hard to get a feel for how large this slide was. Not only was it huge it also flowed into a river and damned it and caused flooding. It's one of those perfect storm type situations. I've been keeping up using the king5 app and I keep getting updates something like 14 dead and over 130 missing, that number is rising too.

I suppose the only way to prep for this is to not live in an area with hills. Down hill from a large hill. But that excludes most places in W WA. Thai makes me weary because the property I will probably be getting goes to about a 200' near vertical drop. Even though the land has lots of trees to keep the soil together so did this area.

It's also interesting to note that this happened a few days ago and just now hit the national media.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Just updated 14 dead 176 now missing.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:50 pm

Looks pretty ugly. I'm hoping some good news emerges from the recovery efforts.

Zoombee

Post by Zoombee » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 am

Some Canadian bikers who ride through there noted the clearcut logging.
My scapegoat ate my homework.

strm_trpr
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Evil Dead, Dawn of the dead

Post by strm_trpr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:39 am

Unfortunately these are not uncommon in the pacific north west. My great grandmothers home was taken out by one, thankfully she was not home at the time. I know many people cannot control where the live due to financial and other reasons, but in the Pacific North West it pays to look at what is up hill from you.
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." ~Ayn Rand~

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Good to see the FEMA USAR TF on scene. Decent resources being used...but unfortunately having a EMS and USAR background...it's pretty safe to assume those still missing will never be found alive. Tragic.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”