Ebola All Over The Place

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Ebola All Over The Place

Post by duodecima » Wed May 27, 2015 10:10 pm

Ebola is in the long final smoulder stage - cases were up 2 weeks ago - 35 new cases - but way down this week, 12 new cases, 9 in Guinea and 3 in Sierra Leone. CIDRAP has a nice article.
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... -hot-spots

Also, 3 weeks later, it must be a slow news week because I've seen a couple outlets finally pick up on "zomg Ebola as an STD!!!!!"

ETA - also I cannot find if people travelling from Liberia are still being monitored upon arrival in the US since it's been officially Ebola free for almost a month now? If your googling is better than mine let me know!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:52 am

Possible flare up again in Liberia after having been declared "Ebola Free" on May 9.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/liberia-confi ... 53593.html
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Emeraldfox12
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the liveing dead (origonal and remakes), Dawn of the dead (Origonal and remake) world war z

Post by Emeraldfox12 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:44 am

Dam thing is like a nest of wild rats. First theres 2 then a week later you got over 100 and dam hard to get rid off. Wasent there supposed to be a vaccine they were working on going around a while back? Havent heard anything else about it

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 pm

CNN wrote: WHO: Trials show new Ebola vaccine is 'highly effective'
(CNN) -A newly developed vaccine against the deadly Ebola virus is "highly effective" and could help prevent its spread in the current and future outbreaks, the World Health Organization said Friday.

Trials of the single-dose VSV-EBOV vaccine began in March in Guinea -- one of three West African nations at the center of the recent outbreak -- and have shown such promise that this week it was decided to extend immediate vaccination to "all people at risk" after close contact with an infected person, a WHO statement said.

"This is an extremely promising development," said Dr. Margaret Chan, the body's director-general.

"The credit goes to the Guinean government, the people living in the communities and our partners in this project. An effective vaccine will be another very important tool for both current and future Ebola outbreaks."

More research is needed, but the results so far on this trial show 100% efficacy.
More at link
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:51 am

jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:50 pm

So, it's been a year since Ebola awareness kicked off in the US (with the first patients brought back to Atlanta for treatment), and over 18 months since the beginning of the West African outbreak. (Apologies for not keeping this updated! Life, y'know...)

Liberia is down to zero cases again - It was actually 'Ebola free' on May 9th, having had 42 days after the safe burial of their last Ebola victim. Current procedure is for 90 days of continued surveillance, and another case was identified on June 29th (which had been treated as malaria, swab done when victim died). Out of 200 contacts of that case, 4 new cases of Ebola were diagnosed, the last were discharged on July 20th, when the 42-day count began again. That's essentially a second new outbreak, not a continuation of the one that ended in May. Source is unknown, unfortunately.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebo ... iberia/en/
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspect ... one-log-27
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/world ... -wave.html

It's been smouldering chronically in Sierra Leone and Guinea - they're each down to 1 case each this week, having wavered between the low 20's and single digits for weekly new cases for the last couple months. Guinea, unfortunately, is predicting more cases because their one case was a contact from a previous case who was, as we say "lost to follow up" and travelled around to see a traditional healer when she became ill before returning to regular medical care. Guinea is now trying to trace all those contacts, plus following 1000+ known contacts from previous cases.
http://apps.who.int/ebola/current-situa ... ugust-2015

In Sierra Leone, their case was one of 800 contacts of a previous case. Sierra Leone has been the site of the vaccination trial mentioned a few posts up - they have gone to what is called "ring vaccination" - immediately vaccinating all contacts of a new case, because the trials were quite promising. (See article why, altho the math shows "100% efficacy" for those trials, there's several reasons why it's probably not that perfect and to be fair the study's authors explicitely said that IRL they don't expect it to be 100% efficicacious even tho that's what the math from their small study technically came out as.)
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1225 ... -effective

Since we now have more survivors and are frankly paying more attention, we are getting more info on after-effects. In West Africa, about half the survivors have joint pain so severe it prevents them from working. (And I'd like to point out this is in a place with no social safety net so they can't just apply for disability, unemployment, etc. I imagine rates of disability would be higher in a country with safety net services.) About 25% have a uveitis - inflammation of part of the eyeball, which can cause blindness if untreated. It's due to viral persistance inside the eyeball (NOT CONTAGIOUS unless you literally go poking out people's eyeballs), in the developed world the current strategy is to treat the uveitis with anti-inflammatory meds and hope that prevents the damage while waiting for the body to clear the eyeball infection. Cataracts can also occur - these could be treated as any other cataract, but given the concern for infectivity inside the eyeball, it has not been attempted at this point. Severe, persistant fatigue and depression have also been noted - these can be seen after other illness as well, and can be confouded/aggrevated by social stigma around Ebola. Watch this space for further developments as we get more data.
http://qz.com/476246/even-after-survivi ... fterwards/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/healt ... .html?_r=0
NamelessStain wrote:Possible cases in Alabama:

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/ ... ebola-case
Patient has tested negative.

The immediate quarantine of symptom-free family members and the EMS personal who brought the patient to the hospital which apparently took place was a completely expense to the taxpayers and an unneccessary infringement upon their lives even if the case had been high risk (it was low risk) or even positive.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:08 pm

So if it's down to one case per week ( or even 25) is that considered a normal amount? Or does this disease disappear completely til another outbreak occurs?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:12 am

flybynight wrote:So if it's down to one case per week ( or even 25) is that considered a normal amount? Or does this disease disappear completely til another outbreak occurs?
The second. It doesn't have a human reservoir the way some diseases do (meningococcus for example) but an animal reservoir. So zero cases and done until next outbreak is the goal.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Sierra Leone has (at least for the moment) achieved zero cases and ended its last quarantine of an area. Guinea is down to 3 cases. Liberia has been at zero over a month. Cross fingers...

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod ... peters-out
(I like the graph of cases vs time...)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:02 am

What is the status of the vaccine and how does this fit into the reduction/control of the disease in these areas?

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Ebola All Over The Place

Post by wee drop o' bush » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:15 am

Ebola survivor Pauline Cafferkey has been readmitted to hospital following an unusual late complication, it is not thought to be contagious.
Scottish nurse Pauline Cafferkey back in isolation...
Low risk
Dr Emilia Crighton, NHSGGC director of public health, said: "Pauline's condition is a complication of a previous infection with the Ebola virus.
"The risk to the public is very low. In line with normal procedures in cases such as this, we have identified a small number of close contacts of Pauline's that we will be following up as a precaution."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34483584
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:18 am

Meanwhile in Africa:

Ebola countries record first week with no new cases
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34471234
The three West African countries at the heart of the Ebola epidemic recorded their first week with no new cases since the outbreak began in March 2014.

The outbreak has so far killed more than 11,000 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

New cases have fallen sharply in 2015, but the WHO has warned that the disease could break out again.

The epidemic is the worst known occurrence of Ebola in history.

More than 500 people believed to have had dangerous contact with an Ebola patient remain under follow-up in Guinea, the WHO said in a report.

It also said several "high-risk" people linked to recent patients in Guinea and Sierra Leone had been lost track of.

Liberia has already been declared free of Ebola transmission after 42 days without a new case. It is the second time the country received the declaration, following a flare-up in June.

Sierra Leone released its last known Ebola patients on 28 September and must now wait to be declared free of Ebola transmission.

Guinea's most recent cases were recorded on 27 September.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:42 am

I ran across this today on another site, thought it might be interesting to consider from a prepping standpoint.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf*

“This study suggests that dogs can be infected by Ebola virus and that the putative infection is asymptomatic.”

“Some human cases in the recent outbreak in the Gabon/Republic of Congo region did not have a documented source of exposure to Ebola hemorrhagic fever. Similarly, 14 (4.9%) of the 284 cases in the 1976 Sudan outbreak (6) and 55 (17.4%) of the 316 cases during the 1995 outbreak in Kikwit (7), Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC, former Zaire), had no direct physical contact with an infected person or known infected carcass. These observations point to other routes of transmission (e.g., human-human respiratory tract infection through droplets and aerosols) or may suggest that other, unidentified animal sources may be involved in Ebola virus transmission to humans.”

“Thus, dogs appear to be the first animal species shown to be naturally and asymptomatically infected by Ebola virus. Asymptomatic Ebola infection in humans has also been observed during outbreaks (18) but is very rare. Although dogs can be asymptomatically infected, they may excrete infectious viral particles in urine, feces, and saliva for a short period before virus clearance, as observed experimentally in other animals. Given the frequency of contact between humans and domestic dogs, canine Ebola infection must be considered as a potential risk factor for human infection and virus spread. Human infection could occur through licking, biting, or grooming. Asymptomatically infected dogs could be a potential source of human Ebola outbreaks and of virus spread during human outbreaks, which could explain some epidemiologically unrelated human cases. Dogs might also be a source of human Ebola outbreaks, such as the 1976 Yambuku outbreaks in Democratic Republic of Congo (19), the 1995 Kikwit outbreak, some outbreaks that occurred in 1996 and 2004 in Gabon and Republic of Congo (5), and the 1976 (6), 1979 (20), and 2004 (21) outbreaks in Sudan, the sources of which are still unknown. Together, these findings strongly suggest that dogs should be taken into consideration during the management of human Ebola outbreaks.”

*Thanks to KGBrick for cleaning the link up.
Last edited by LowKey on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

KGBrick

Post by KGBrick » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:46 am

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

There's that link cleaned up a bit.

Edit: Ah, and I posted it earlier on page 24, I guess, though I didn't provide any synopsis or analysis of the paper in my post. I think I'm going to search around and see if there is anything in the news about dog control in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea-Conakry.

Edit 2: Right then. Dog populations have actually increased in Sierra Leone (http://www.voanews.com/content/sierra-l ... 27392.html) due to several factors but I couldn't find any information about significant dog culling in those three countries post-outbreak. This doesn't really surprise me; it would be an expensive (for the region) activity, semi-feral dogs are seen as normal in that area, and lots of those semi-feral dogs were once 'pets' that owners grew bored of and released.

That said, Rabies is a far bigger threat from an enlarged feral dog population than EVD; the CDC paper points towards dogs being highly resistant to Ebola virus, meaning they don't seem to get sick when it is in them and they get rid of it fast - so they probably don't ever develop the frighteningly high viral loads that cause primates to transmit the disease as easily as they do. I could only find one likely case of transmission of Ebola virus from a dog to humans - and that was via a group of men that are thought to have regularly eaten dog meat (and keep in mind that "meat" in low-income countries usually means everything on the animal but the skin and hair or feathers). Rabies, on the other hand, does not treat Man's Best Friend so kindly.

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:36 pm

BBC Radio coverage of Pauline Cafferkey's readmittance to hospital stated that ebola is endemic within the bat population of the African countries where the outbreaks occurred so cannot ever be removed.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:08 pm

KGBrick wrote:http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

There's that link cleaned up a bit.

Edit: Ah, and I posted it earlier on page 24, I guess, though I didn't provide any synopsis or analysis of the paper in my post. I think I'm going to search around and see if there is anything in the news about dog control in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea-Conakry.

Edit 2: Right then. Dog populations have actually increased in Sierra Leone (http://www.voanews.com/content/sierra-l ... 27392.html) due to several factors but I couldn't find any information about significant dog culling in those three countries post-outbreak. This doesn't really surprise me; it would be an expensive (for the region) activity, semi-feral dogs are seen as normal in that area, and lots of those semi-feral dogs were once 'pets' that owners grew bored of and released.

That said, Rabies is a far bigger threat from an enlarged feral dog population than EVD; the CDC paper points towards dogs being highly resistant to Ebola virus, meaning they don't seem to get sick when it is in them and they get rid of it fast - so they probably don't ever develop the frighteningly high viral loads that cause primates to transmit the disease as easily as they do. I could only find one likely case of transmission of Ebola virus from a dog to humans - and that was via a group of men that are thought to have regularly eaten dog meat (and keep in mind that "meat" in low-income countries usually means everything on the animal but the skin and hair or feathers). Rabies, on the other hand, does not treat Man's Best Friend so kindly.
It wasn't something I was particularly concerned about, just interesting.

What it does have me wondering; what serious diseases ARE transmittable by man's "best friend"? I'm not worried about ringworm,ect.
Rabies we already know. What else?

And from a pandemic/post-disaster standpoint......feral dog/cat control measures?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:13 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:Ebola survivor Pauline Cafferkey has been readmitted to hospital following an unusual late complication, it is not thought to be contagious.
Scottish nurse Pauline Cafferkey back in isolation...
Low risk
Dr Emilia Crighton, NHSGGC director of public health, said: "Pauline's condition is a complication of a previous infection with the Ebola virus.
"The risk to the public is very low. In line with normal procedures in cases such as this, we have identified a small number of close contacts of Pauline's that we will be following up as a precaution."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34483584
The outcome is good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34791692
On 9 October, she was flown from Glasgow to London in a military aircraft to receive treatment in the isolation unit at the Royal Free Hospital.
Her condition later deteriorated, with the hospital saying she had become "critically ill", but she began to improve within a few days.
A Scottish nurse who was readmitted to hospital after suffering complications arising from the Ebola infection has made a "full recovery", doctors say.
Pauline Cafferkey initially contracted Ebola while working at a treatment centre in Sierra Leone last year.
She was successfully treated at the Royal Free Hospital in London, but was taken there again in October after the virus caused her to develop meningitis.
The hospital said Ms Cafferkey had now been discharged.
In a statement, it said that the 39-year-old nurse was no longer infectious, was well enough to return to Scotland, and had been transferred to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.
A statement from NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde added: "We can confirm that Pauline Cafferkey was transferred back to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital to her complete her hospital treatment. Her condition is stable.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:10 pm

Ebola in West Africa was almost gone, and now it's back just a bit.

Guinea had it's last new Ebola case 10/29, a newborn girl born to a mother with Ebola (who died) in an Ebola ward, so there were no new contacts from that case. She is the first newborn to survive Ebola - she recieved both ZMapp and an experimental antiviral. At this point there are a lot of Ebola survivors, some of whom volunteer in the wards, so unlike previous situations she had someone with her 24-7. They are now in their 42-day period to declare their outbreak over.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola- ... ea-n467331

The Ebola survivors still wear all the PPE, btw, but that's to make sure they don't bring the virus back out to infect those who are not immune.

In Sierra Leone, they are officially Ebola-free as of 11/7, and are in their 90-days of enhanced surveillance.

Unfortunately, Liberia has discovered 3 new cases, a 15 year old boy and then his father and brother. They are in an Ebola ward, the family is in quarantine, and there are a couple folks from CDC headed over to see if they can figure out where this chain of transmission came from. The last small re-outbreak of Ebola in Liberia over the summer turned out to be via virus in the sperm of a survivor. That outbreak was immediately contained - 6 cases and 2 deaths. Hopefully this will be similar.
http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articl ... bola-cases

And the very thorough WHO Ebola weekly situation report from 11/18 (it does predate the new Liberian cases)..
http://apps.who.int/ebola/current-situa ... ember-2015

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Allegedly there is a patient who tested positive about 3 hours ago at the VA in Dallas, TX. If this is true, I hope we get to see what I think is an amazing containment protocol activated that was developed the last time Dallas had a case.

I'll post back with updates or confirmation yes/no when I hear it.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Allegedly there is a patient who tested positive about 3 hours ago at the VA in Dallas, TX.
:shock:

I wonder where *that* came from?
Thanks VLee!
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:15 pm

sheddi wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Allegedly there is a patient who tested positive about 3 hours ago at the VA in Dallas, TX.
:shock:

I wonder where *that* came from?
Thanks VLee!
I'm calling this the post Iron Bowl update. No new info. So it looks like there was either a scare or it was just some bored weekend staff talking a little shit.

I'll check back with any resolution.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:51 am

Latest is does NOT have ebola and is being 'treated for something else'. But has been transferred to a assessment facility in Galveston as a precaution.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/54694423-story

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:42 am

LowKey wrote:

What it does have me wondering; what serious diseases ARE transmittable by man's "best friend"? I'm not worried about ringworm,ect.
Rabies we already know. What else?

And from a pandemic/post-disaster standpoint......feral dog/cat control measures?
there are 10 million dogs in the UK alone, not sure about the number of cats but its got to be similar at least, all these will go feral in a post disaster.
we don't have bears and big cats to worry about here, our largest animal is a Red Deer, the most ferocious is alleged to be wild Mink but I don't know of anyone that has actually seen one, although a few anglers say they have had their catch stolen by one.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Old_Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days and weeks later, I am legend, the original dawn of the Dead...etc.

Post by Old_Man » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:15 pm

grumpyviking wrote: there are 10 million dogs in the UK alone, not sure about the number of cats but its got to be similar at least, all these will go feral in a post disaster.
we don't have bears and big cats to worry about here, our largest animal is a Red Deer, the most ferocious is alleged to be wild Mink but I don't know of anyone that has actually seen one, although a few anglers say they have had their catch stolen by one.
I thought the killer rabbit of Caerbannog was the most ferocious.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”