140 million Americans Affected by Deep Freeze

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: 140 million Americans Affected by Deep Freeze

Post by teotwaki » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote: Sorry, just checked back in on this thread. Long hours this week.

Footwear: KEEN Detroit 8" steel toe - Love this boot, hate that it's special order. It took 5 months to come in, but I put the order in early, and got them 2 months before this shit hit.

Good: waterproof, lightweight, good tread and ankle support, little reflective bits to help drivers see me when I'm working curbside/not so much I wouldn't wear them tactically. The only boot I've worn for 14 hours of curbstomping, then gone to the grocery store in with all the kids. Comfortable for looong stretches!

Bad: WP isn't all the way up, as the tongue isn't gussetted. My first pair took a shit at the end of last winter. Good timing, as replacements were not readily available. A stitch blew out at the Achilles area, where the upper shaft joins the lower boot. They took a hell of a beating over the winter, so I feel I certainly got my money's worth.

Conclusion: Have more than 1 pair. I need 2 more pair for this winter: 1 more pair for work, so I can switch every day, and a pair for non-work wear, that can be swapped in later if one pair blows out. Boots last longer if you rotate them, anyway.

More to follow...
Thank you very much!
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Folks in the mid-Atlantic and Northeast US who don't have to travel on Wednesday for Turkey Day might want to stay off the roads, or change your flights.

DC Metro Region: Wednesday’s East Coast winter storm shaping up to be a travel nightmare — timing and impacts

Northeast: What to Expect From the Coming Thanksgiving Nor’easter
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:59 pm

raptor wrote:Actually this sounds like a perfect case study for staying warm while working. Do you mind sharing some tips for folks like me who are not experienced in extreme cold weather?

How do you dress for this type of activity? What kind of gloves do you use?

It sounds physically demanding (so you have worry about heat build up and sweat) yet absolutely F'ing COLD. What tips would offer?
OK, truck broke down, so time to get back to this :awesome:

As my dad would say, "dress light enough that you can't stand it (the cold), then work hard enough that you can barely stand it."

Sweat will kill you. Don't sweat. That means you'll be cold, but cold is better than frozen...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”