140 million Americans Affected by Deep Freeze

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

140 million Americans Affected by Deep Freeze

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:23 pm

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-0 ... nketed-sub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

America is gripped in a cold spell which may beat all records, as 140 million Americans are expected to see subzero temperatures in the coming days, including the deep south.

As CNN reports, "The deep freeze gripping much of the country is about to send temperatures plummeting to unbelievable lows. Parts of the Midwest and Great Plains will plunge as low as 30 degrees below zero on Sunday. That's where the Green Bay Packers will host the San Francisco 49ers in what could be the coldest football game in NFL history. By Wednesday, nearly half the nation -- 140 million people -- will shudder in temperatures of zero or lower, forecasters said. Even the Deep South will endure single-digit or sub-zero temperatures."

gundogs

Re: 140 million Americans Affected by Deep Freeze

Post by gundogs » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm

The "global warmers" will have to find comfort in comforters

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:24 pm

gundogs wrote:The "global warmers" will have to find comfort in comforters
It’s Cold and My Car is Buried in Snow. Is Global Warming Really Happening?: http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sc ... hange.html
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

mossberg

Post by mossberg » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:50 pm

I have done all I can to prepare for the cold and snow onslaught...both vehicle fuel tanks filled,5 or 6 full 20# propane cyls,15 gals gas,20 gal diesel for generator,lots of groceries..even grabbed spare blankets,sleeping bags,and flashlights out of my camper...probably get an extra,extra case of beer and emergency bourbon just in case....hopefully it does not get as bad as they say it might..in buffalo they say 2-3 feet possible between Monday afternoon and Wednesday afternoon depending on the snow bands and wind..big wind chills expected..brace yourselves zombie squad members...

mossberg

Post by mossberg » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:01 pm

any further ideas?????????????????

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:22 pm

mossberg wrote:I have done all I can to prepare for the cold and snow onslaught...both vehicle fuel tanks filled,5 or 6 full 20# propane cyls,15 gals gas,20 gal diesel for generator,lots of groceries..even grabbed spare blankets,sleeping bags,and flashlights out of my camper...probably get an extra,extra case of beer and emergency bourbon just in case....hopefully it does not get as bad as they say it might..in buffalo they say 2-3 feet possible between Monday afternoon and Wednesday afternoon depending on the snow bands and wind..big wind chills expected..brace yourselves zombie squad members...
You are in Buffalo? At least the city is well used to handling a lot of snow. Probably gonna be bad for people further east where they aren't.
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:26 pm

mossberg wrote:any further ideas?????????????????
Consider leaving your water running a little in all the faucets to keep the pipes from freezing.

We live in the banana belt, it will hit +35F later today.
I love Alaska.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:53 pm

Gundogs politics is not welcome on this forum. If you have something useful to add please do so...otherwise you can feel free post about politics on some other forum.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm hoping (probably futilely, in most cases) that this will be a wake-up call and lessons-learned experience for millions of our fellow citizens who are woefully unprepared for loss-of-power or severe cold scenarios.

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:01 pm

-16 with 27mph wind gusts in Minneapolis right now. It's supposed to get down to -26 tonight. Beyond putting plastic on the windows for general winter insulation, I did essentially no extra prepping. I've lived in much colder parts of Minnesota, have been dragged out skiing at -38, and am not really phased by this stuff. Good luck to anybody facing power outages. I just realized that I forgot to plug my car in so it might grumble if I have to go anywhere, but tomorrow is my Saturday, so I shouldn't have to leave.

Unfortunately, I'm much more concerned with getting through the flu. My preps involved going to the store for more pseudoephed and cough syrup. I'm disappointed, actually, because I was looking forward to going for a walk later.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Oddly, it's warming up here in the northeast; highs could reach the 40's tomorrow.

But only temporarily. We're supposed to get snow, sleet, freezing rain and then just straight rain. Followed by another arctic blast. Which will turn a lot of the snowpack into rock hard ice. Roads, homes and cars are going to be encased in this stuff come Tuesday morning.

Besides the physical dangers, a secondary tragedy is this thaw/freeze cycle is going to ruin all that glorious snow we have up here. :cry:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:44 pm

I had a unusual weather experience in NOLA. I was went for a walk on the lake levee. When I started the walk the temp was 72F, the wind was out of the south east at 16 kts. Within an hour the wind shifted to the NW at 20+kts and it started raining and the temp started dropping. It was 51F by the time I walked home in the rain...wet, cold and shivering about a half hour later.

That is not cold by most ZS'ers standards but it was a good lesson in why wet cotton clothing in the winter can get be dangerous.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:48 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... tates.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life-threatening cold front sweeps the US.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:54 am

raptor wrote:

Gundogs politics is not welcome on this forum. If you have something useful to add please do so...otherwise you can feel free post about politics on some other forum.
I'm sorry--I thought it was a scientific subject

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:59 am

mossberg wrote:any further ideas?????????????????
Keep cabinet doors under sinks open to allow some heat in,especially if on outside walls

TheLastRifleMan
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:16 am

Here in almost central Michigan, we received almost 17 inches of snow yesterday and last night. Snow has stopped but temps have dropped to almost -12F with wind chill. We have drifts almost 3 ft high in my driveway.

Looks like we have some snow removal work to do today.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 am

A friend saw a guy at a bus stop wearing just a sweatshirt, no hat or gloves, who was bitching that it was cold (it's -20˚F with a 10mph wind). How you can make it to adulthood in Minnesota dressing like that baffles me.

shrapnel
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 am

Welp, it's supposed to get down to a chilly 35*F here tonight, so while it isn't cold like you more northerly folks are dealing with, it's more than cold enough for me. Stay warm, everyone.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm

gundogs wrote:
Keep cabinet doors under sinks open to allow some heat in,especially if on outside walls
Great advice and something that a person not used to freezing temps...(like me) would not know. :D

We are supposed to get down to 28F tonight. We rarely see the twenties. I covered up my palm and citrus trees. Even the feral yard cats wanted inside the pool house last night and this morning.

Welsh Wizard

Post by Welsh Wizard » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:35 pm

Hope you all take care out there guys , we have had a few weeks of storms, strong wind and rain causing damage to buildings ,coastal and inland flooding and a few deaths ,
coldest temps so far for us in mountain area of Wales has been down to -2 degrees centigrade ,we have had lot of hail but only light snowfalls so far but in previous winters we
usually find your weather coming over here after its finished with you , usually the west side of the country getting it worst (Wales being west ) so keeping keen eye on forecasts from met office .

cricky101

Post by cricky101 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm

gundogs wrote:I'm sorry--I thought it was a scientific subject
The response to your bumper sticker was scientific.
raistlin wrote:
It’s Cold and My Car is Buried in Snow. Is Global Warming Really Happening?: http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/sc ... hange.html
"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire

jnathan
Meat Popsicle
Meat Popsicle

Post by jnathan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Growing up, we're given a pretty poor education in science and the scientific method. Unless you enter a field that's a hard science, this pattern of being uneducated or under educated in science continues into adulthood. Within science, the scientific method is a methodology by which ideas are tested. Theories must be falsifiable (i.e. there must be a condition or set of conditions under which they can be proven false). Theories are never proven, only failed to be disproved over time. Theories also have gaps and progress is measured when those gaps shrink.

Scientific consensus is the mechanism by which people trained in and working within a discipline come to agreement on a theory or set of theories after research, publication, peer review and criticism, and continuous revision. There will always be people outside of the scientific consensus. Some are actually scientists trained in and working in the field of any particular consensus. Many are not. Many times the arguments repeated over and over again outside the scientific consensus were disproved a long long time ago.

We don't listen to just one "expert" in any field nor should credence be given to an argument just because one important person said so (refer to the logical fallacy argument from authority). This leads to my final point. In the area of political and ideological views on climate change there is great disagreement. Amongst those scientists trained in and working in climate science there is overwhelming scientific consensus for anthropogenic climate change. The only controversy is political or ideological, there is no scientific controversy.

I'm a layman in that I am neither educated in nor working in the field of climate science. It would be incredibly naive of me to assume that I could begin to understand the complex intricacies of the field (or any other hard science) and therefore I rely on the scientific consensus to know what's what.

As I already mentioned, science and the scientific method is a mechanism by which ideas are tested and where views change over time based on observations. Science isn't dogma; it's measurable, testable, and repeatable.

For information on the scientific consensus of climate change visit: http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

-Jeff
My name is Jeff, not Jonathan. Jonathan would fit...

ZSC:020 Chicagoland | How to search ZS | GHB

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:53 pm

A bit of salt does wonders to clear a frozen tub drain. Never had to do that before today.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm

I have to admit, I have never in my life been in weather that could, and it is incredibly hard having to imagine living in it. I've lived on this island my whole life, and have only ever travelled to the mainland during summer, fall or spring. I would feel completely dumbfounded and out of place if I was dropped in negative degree weather all of a sudden.

It got to a brisk 59 degrees here the last few nights... that's about as much I know about the "cold".
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”