MIT Active Shooter

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 pm

If you were listening to the scanner, this was a regular Tom Clancy novel. Terrorist act, Chechian "freedom fighters", flash bangs, choppers having to refuel, spot lights, swat teams on stand by...
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:55 pm

angelofwar wrote:If you were listening to the scanner, this was a regular Tom Clancy novel. Terrorist act, Chechian "freedom fighters", flash bangs, choppers having to refuel, spot lights, swat teams on stand by...
THose scanner brodcasts are usually recorded right?
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Crakkerjakk

Post by Crakkerjakk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Browning 35 wrote:FBI just arrested two males and a female affiliated with the brothers at another house that the FBI had been searching all day.
Source?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm

0122358 wrote:
angelofwar wrote:If you were listening to the scanner, this was a regular Tom Clancy novel. Terrorist act, Chechian "freedom fighters", flash bangs, choppers having to refuel, spot lights, swat teams on stand by...
Nope...this one was live...I heard everything 5 minutes before the news did. This was broadcast from a live personal scanner, not a scanner "feed", which are usually delayed.

Apparently, he'd been holed up in that boat since early morning...ditched his bloody clothes in a nearby shed, and then went to hide in the boat. On the drag net, they saw a blood trail in the drive way of the house, which led them to the boat, and that's when the second shoot-out happened, about 3 hours ago.
Last edited by angelofwar on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm

I hope so. Because today's events would make one bitching-ass movie.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:02 pm

angelofwar wrote:
0122358 wrote:
Nope...this one was live...I heard everything 5 minutes before the news did. This was broadcast from a live personal scanner, not a scanner "feed", which are usually delayed.
I believe that Numbers was wondering if they were recorded.....so that he could possibly find them and listen to them for himself. :|
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:05 pm

slannesh wrote:Excellent news. Glad he was taken alive, hope he stays that way to be interrogated.
This. So much this.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:06 pm

The second bomber is now in custody;
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... e-say?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little late, I know, but there was lots of noise in the thread and it might have been lost.
WWSD?

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:14 pm

Sounds like White Hat was severely wounded, so they may not get the chance to have a chat with him.

Edit: Here's a pic of him in the ambulance:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeanWMUR/sta ... 60/photo/1
Last edited by phalanx on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Crakkerjakk wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:FBI just arrested two males and a female affiliated with the brothers at another house that the FBI had been searching all day.
Source?
Here's a link to CNN, reported at 8:39pm:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/19/li ... in-boston/
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:26 pm

angelofwar wrote:...

Hell, early this morning, the scanner beat the news by quite a bit. Makes me think that such services are pretty valuable in situations like this.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Crakkerjakk

Post by Crakkerjakk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:27 pm

phalanx wrote:Here's a link to CNN, reported at 8:39pm:
Danke.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

DarkAxel wrote:
angelofwar wrote:...

Hell, early this morning, the scanner beat the news by quite a bit. Makes me think that such services are pretty valuable in situations like this.
Yep. I have three scanners...A handheld battery operated one, and two stations, one on my desk, and one in my man cave. Looking for a 4th to permanently mount in my car. They are great for situational awareness! Avoid traffic accidents, let you know what bad stuff is happening in your hood, etc.

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 pm

I wish we could get more than a blurry ambulance photo.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:48 pm

LivelyToaster wrote:I wish we could get more than a blurry ambulance photo.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

Me too, but that's all I can find for now. I'm sure we'll know soon, another press conference is happening tonight.

EDIT: White Hat is in serious condition at the hospital as reported by CNN:

They also report that the owner of the boat saw blood and checked it out himself, discovering White Hat and calling the cops.

Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004)
Zombieland

Post by 0122358 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:00 pm

RickOShea wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
0122358 wrote:
I believe that Numbers was wondering if they were recorded.....so that he could possibly find them and listen to them for himself. :|
This...becuase no matter what i tried, i couldnt get on any of the online scanner sites or on my tablet...wouldnt load :vmad:
SMoAF wrote:Your sin is one of geography, not one of unmanliness. Pimp's sin is that he's, well....himself.
Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Benbrutal

Post by Benbrutal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 pm

My only fear is that, since he was taken alive, we will now have a multi-year legal/news circus like with the "workplace violence" at Ft. Hood, where the trial still hasn't started.
Preparedness: The difference between can-of-food and cannibal.
The big feral hogs are only good for sausage, but the young ones can be made into bacon,
and once you have bacon, you win!

Crakkerjakk

Post by Crakkerjakk » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Benbrutal wrote:My only fear is that, since he was taken alive, we will now have a multi-year legal/news circus like with the "workplace violence" at Ft. Hood, where the trial still hasn't started.
He's going to grow old before they stick a needle in him no matter what. It's the way the system works.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Fox news has Mark Fuhrman on TV..... WTF :roll:

I mean really? Is there no other cop that can be on TV?????
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Supposedly White Hat being taken into custody.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:51 pm

This event started long after I went to bed last night, I read the first 9 pages while on breaks at work, caught up at page 12 this afternoon, and just now finished to this point. I have, for the past several DICE events, found ZS to be the most valuable resource, constant news feed, on topic, with valuable reports from many sources. One is also able to "catch up" by reading what has already happened and what has lead to the current events if they are late to the game.

Something else that I have learnt through this thread, scanners are a great tool. I am about to go back through the links in the early pages and make note of them for future disaster situations.

Though I have to ask, what is the legality of owning a scanner ,does it vary by region?

Since it is off topic, please reply to this via PM, so as not to derail this thread.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Legality of a scanner is 100% any where in the US. Think of it as a "freedom of information" thing. They are public servants, and we have the right to know. Just like Cell phones, don't rely on a 4th or 5th stage to get your info. The more parts you have in a system, the more that can go wrong. So, a "scanner feed" is fine for messing around with, but you want a phsyical scanner that doesn't not rely on any outside sources (minus the TX's you pick up). Scanners can only pick up local TX's though, but, still handy to increase situational awarness. As we saw, the BPD shut down their "scanner feed" (and reasonably so), but folks in the immediate area could still pick up the chatter as long as they had the appropriate scanner. "radioreference.com" is a great place to pick them up on the cheap, but the first thing you need to do, is find out what "method" they use,locally, which can also be found on RR. This will greatly determine the cost variables.

Modifying your scanner to pick up "private" channels (cell phones, etc.) is illegal though. Listening in on Baby Monitors is 100% legal though (and it states that in the instructions under the FCC rules that come with them).

There are three main "systems" for comm/scanners: A) Analog (old school, straight radio broadcasts, like CB, FRS, UHF, etc.), B) Trunked systems (this is what cell phones use and most modern PD's...so all the cops aren't talking on one channel, it's uses a computer system with 5-6, or more, frequencies, and the computer selects the next available one. The only real problem with a trunked system, is that you may miss out on some of the comm, as cops A&B are talking ON THE SAME CHANNEL, but fx 829.325, while cops C&D are also talking on the same "channel", but they're on fx 829.525. Trunked system have a "control" fx that get's the tx to the tower and then the computer, and tx's it from their using "repeaters". So, if two units are talking to different units at the same time, you can only hear the one that your scanner picked up first...their is no "memory" to record "missed" tx's. And C) Digital. THe latest, and onlyused to listen in on the most adavanced systems. The one that was listening to the bombing suspect was a Trunked scanner. Digital's are a little easier to program, but cost the most. You can get an analog and listen to boats, nascar, some volunteer FD's, and maybe some air craft, but analog isn't set-up for the 800mHz range, which is what most trunked and digital LE systems run on.

OK...a lot of info...so digest that, and then ask any unanswered questions. I thought it was so awesome, that I could listen to real world events and had the whole "tactical" story on this event 10-15 minutes before the news did. I heard themsaying the flash had been deployed, the chopper only had 20 minutes of fuel left, I heard the BPD Commissar congratulating over the radio...awesome stuff!

Hope this helps!
Last edited by angelofwar on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Reddit, Twitter, and zs were at times hours ahead of network news, however, there was some less than accurate information due to difficulties understanding scanner info. Still overall good reporting.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”