MIT Active Shooter

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Re: MIT Active Shooter

Post by Nightwing » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 am

I am suprised the police have left the scanners up and running
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 am

Nightwing wrote:I am suprised the police have left the scanners up and running
You can't shut them down.

Aside from some SWAT radios, I think all LEO freqs are open net, by law. Meaning if you have a receiver (scanner) then you can hear what's going on. There's really nothing the police should be saying on the radio that requires any sort of secrecy. Special circumstances being some SWAT movements, and I think units have to have some sort of recorder device set up to record all of that traffic as well.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 am

It's how modern policing works; you can't just turn them off.

All the good stuff is happening on tactical channels that are coded, but the general net is not.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:42 am

Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Ten Eight

Post by Ten Eight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:54 am

Yea. Like I said earlier, listen to the rage mode unleash at the end of the clip.

Amazing that they don't have this guy yet.
"You don't understand! I coulda' had class. I coulda' been a contender. I coulda' been somebody instead of a bum, which is what I am."

zenlunatic

Post by zenlunatic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:55 am

Interesting books.
Last edited by zenlunatic on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

zenlunatic

Post by zenlunatic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 am

If this guy makes it out alive, I wonder if they'll fry him considering Brevik just got 21 years for killing 77 people, which is absurd. I see a law research paper here.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 am

zenlunatic wrote:If this guy makes it out alive, I wonder if they'll fry him considering Brevik just got 21 years for killing 77 people, which is absurd. I see a law research paper here.
In Norway...not Massachusetts.

Does MA even have a death penalty?
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:13 am

zenlunatic wrote:Yeah the lockdown is nuts. It's as close as martial law you can get before an official decleration. I'm not a LEO, but looking for one suspect, this all seems way overblown. The social reporting was amazing, and then the cops tell everyone to go inside in a lockdown. Now all we have is the official story by "journalists". Seems to me they're buying time for whatever reason. I mean 9000 officers from FBI, ATF, DHS, Local... and one guy. *throws_up_arms*
Considering these brothers have no hesitation to pull the trigger, you go sit in your back porch sipping your coffee, this kid on the run hops your fence, pull a gun on you and invites himself in until the cops go away. (Insert here how your are prepared and will go all Die Hard on hm)

Keeping everyone off the streets makes the manhunt easier and keeps innocent civilians and conspiracy theorists safe from accidental shootings.
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:14 am

one way trip to Guantanamo bay.
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:19 am

zenlunatic wrote:Browning35,

CNN keeps playing an interview with a schoolmate who knows them, and he said he was normal red blooded american.
So was Timothy McVeigh
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:27 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/19/tu ... t-demands/

Uncle wants him to turn himself in, suspects dad says "all hell will break loose" if his son is killed. Dad seems to think his boy should just hop on a plane and come home. Dad also knew earlier in the week his sons did it. Shows a level of ignorance in my opinion.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 am

Reddit thread is still being updated. Seems to be the most concise summary that i've found so far.

http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/1 ... fficial_4/

*edit* Just caught up. Saw this and was a little disconcerted.
"EDIT 147 11:26: Because it keeps getting asked. The suspect that is being searched by the EOD robots, that is handcuffed, that has the dead man switch, is a 60-70 yr old gray haired man. He was specifically identified as having salt and pepper hair, even the age 90 was thrown out. This is NOT White Hat aka Suspect #2"
Hope it's just some random idiot being impressively not funny.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:02 pm

From that Reddit thread, so take with a grain of salt:

EDIT 184 12:56: Officer approached by someone "saying they were getting information that someone was being held by a man with a gun."
EDIT 183 12:55: "Everyone take cover. No more units."
EDIT 182 12:55: "A person is being held there by gunpoint."
EDIT 181 12:54: A man is trying to get through security but has no credentials.
EDIT 180 12:53: Woman is being held by a man with a gun
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

zenlunatic

Post by zenlunatic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:03 pm

Did you guys just see the blackhawks flying over the quarantine area? Do cops use those?

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 pm

Yep, heard it on the scanner as well
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:05 pm

zenlunatic wrote:Did you guys just see the blackhawks flying over the quarantine area? Do cops use those?
That's FBI's HRT.
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Iowa_guy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Iowa_guy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 pm

phalanx wrote:
zenlunatic wrote:If this guy makes it out alive, I wonder if they'll fry him considering Brevik just got 21 years for killing 77 people, which is absurd. I see a law research paper here.

I would think they could justify trying him on federal charges. He could end up visiting Terre Haute just like McVeigh did.

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Iowa_guy wrote:
phalanx wrote:

I would think they could justify trying him on federal charges. He could end up visiting Terre Haute just like McVeigh did.
I would say when the FBI gets involved in the investigations it doesn't matter what state your in, the death penalty is an option...
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Just saw the press conference with Uncle Ruslan. He's a bad ass.

LivelyToaster
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead

Post by LivelyToaster » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I can't get a single scanner feed

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:32 pm

According to Reddit:

EDIT 197 1:18: House with 'hostage' was clear.
EDIT 198 1:20: Apparently the 'hostage' was frightened by a police officer with a gun.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:33 pm

GentryMillMan wrote:
Iowa_guy wrote:
phalanx wrote:

I would say when the FBI gets involved in the investigations it doesn't matter what state your in, the death penalty is an option...
Looks like the FBI is going to take him in, if he goes quietly. But, I don't think there will be any indexing when they catch up to this guy.

The uncle is pretty pissed off, something was going on with these two idiots. But, rumor has it that the father may have known about the attack? Can anyone confirm that?
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:38 pm

MaconCJ7 wrote:
You can't shut them down.

Aside from some SWAT radios, I think all LEO freqs are open net, by law. Meaning if you have a receiver (scanner) then you can hear what's going on. There's really nothing the police should be saying on the radio that requires any sort of secrecy. Special circumstances being some SWAT movements, and I think units have to have some sort of recorder device set up to record all of that traffic as well.
The Radio Reference page lays out the radio systems in use around that part of Mass.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1225" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Public service agencies can encrypt all comms if they want. For example, all State Trooper comms here are now DES encrypted - state-wide. Hams are prohibited by law from encryption, but there are 'legal' ways to reduce or lower your POI. FreeDV is a new sound card based digital system for HF - an example of the ongoing work to reduce bandwidth.

Monitoring a digital (P 25) UHF trunked system requires a high end scanner, and setting the scanner up is not trivial. I recently added a GENCOM trunking scanner to the shack and I'm still learning all the tricks.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”