Food Insecurity 2019

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

RoneKiln

Re: Food Insecurity 2019

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:35 pm

Confucius wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:31 am
Pretty much the only thing I've noticed being short around here is random frozen items. Vegetables, tater tots, that sort of thing. Meat is plentiful (definitely more expensive though, saw flank steak for $13/lb!), fresh veggies, pasta, grains, etc. all seems to be fine.

Weirdly, just realized, don't think I've seen a single turkey for sale yet...
Several stores in my area are giving away turkeys if you buy $100 worth of groceries. Freezer space is harder to find than any meat products right now. Recently I've bought chicken for $1.69 a pound, steak and bacon for $2.99, and whole wild caught salmon for $3.99 (you had to buy the whole fish). Everyone I know has stuffed their freezers.

I've seen low stock on frozen vegetables as well. It seems very odd to me for the meat section to he full and on clearance while the veggies are near wiped out.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:05 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:35 pm
It seems very odd to me for the meat section to he full and on clearance while the veggies are near wiped out.
I hear that farmers / ranchers have to cull.

Just something I heard.

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:56 am

My local farmers are going gangbusters at the open-air farmer's markets. Plenty of milk, eggs, chicken and pork. Problem is, these places are expensive compared to grocery stores so this doesn't help low income folks.

We mainly shop there because it's outdoors and less crowded, so less potential exposure.

cbare
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days
shaun of the dead

Post by cbare » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:00 pm

In NM stores can’t get restocked and semis can’t unload due to COVID.

https://www.krqe.com/video/long-lines-o ... s/6038935/
Demented and sad, but social...

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:35 pm
Several stores in my area are giving away turkeys if you buy $100 worth of groceries. Freezer space is harder to find than any meat products right now. Recently I've bought chicken for $1.69 a pound, steak and bacon for $2.99, and whole wild caught salmon for $3.99 (you had to buy the whole fish). Everyone I know has stuffed their freezers.

I've seen low stock on frozen vegetables as well. It seems very odd to me for the meat section to he full and on clearance while the veggies are near wiped out.
Same here on the turkey, except it's a $200 purchase. We got ours mostly with a semi-large purchase of ground round, canned tomatoes, and coffee. Topped off the coffee after reading the prices may rise following Hurricanes Eta and Iota that hit the growing region. The ground round and tomatoes to replace what was used for my annual "Chili Day" which was last Sunday, about 4 gallons worth in the freezer which will hopefully last us through the Winter. Smaller batch than most years but freezer space is limited here too, and after having chili 3 times this week the cracker section of the pantry needs some serious restocking. Does this preparedness shit ever have an end? :)

Haven't noticed shortages of any foods locally, but the limits on TP are back.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:46 am

CrossCut wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:56 am
Haven't noticed shortages of any foods locally, but the limits on TP are back.
Same here. I'm trying to get some right now. Also: RV TP is being advertised just as much as the regular kind.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”