Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Social unrest breaks out in Tunisia. The common denominator seems to be lack of opportunity coupled with repressive and unaccountable governments.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/n ... tests.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Social unrest is accelerating financial unraveling in the affected countries, which is only going to exacerbate popular disaffection.

https://gulfnews.com/world/mena/syrian- ... 1.68137781

Damascus: The Syrian lira seems to be falling from one pitfall to another, trading at almost 790 SP to the US dollar.

This has caused unprecedented havoc in Syria, as the population’s already razor-thin savings lose yet another chunk of their value, after nearly nine years of war.

Many analysts expect it to cross the 1,000 SP benchmark within the next few months, although in September, it stood at just above 600 SP to the US dollar.

This is the worst–and quickest—devaluation ever in the modern history of Syria, and it is largely linked to what is happening in neighbouring Lebanon.

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:09 am

Iraq must have the most inept arsonists on the planet. Seriously, guys - third attempt to burn down the Iranian consulate in Najaf?

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/m ... -week.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Western France Runs Out Of Gas As "Massive Strikes" Set To Paralyze Entire Nation

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/wes ... ire-nation

France national strike: Tensions rise as millions take to street in protest at Macron’s reforms

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 34251.html

Tear gas and arrests at 'largest French strike in decades'

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/12/ ... 07208.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Gunmen in cars kill at least 15 and injure scores more in Baghdad protests

https://news.yahoo.com/gunmen-cars-kill ... 25454.html

Several killed in central Baghdad as assailants fire live rounds

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleea ... 24237.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Christmas mayhem feared as French transport strike continues

https://news.yahoo.com/christmas-mayhem ... 33316.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:01 pm

All Hell Breaks Loose In India As Violent Protests Spread After Citizenship Law

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... enship-law

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:25 pm

Tensions mount over French transport strike

https://news.yahoo.com/tensions-mount-o ... 55853.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:00 am

Lebanese army clashes with supporters of Hezbollah, Amal in Beirut

https://www.france24.com/en/20191217-le ... -in-beirut

User avatar
Dabster
* * * *
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:20 am

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by Dabster » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks for posting these updates.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by raptor » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:13 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Tensions mount over French transport strike

https://news.yahoo.com/tensions-mount-o ... 55853.html
I am not surprised that people are pissed about this.
The pensions overhaul, unveiled this week by Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, would fold France's 42 separate pension schemes -- including the early retirement schemes covering train drivers, dockers and several other professions -- into one system that requires people to work for longer.

Philippe particularly angered the unions by proposing a reduced payout for people who retire at the legal age of 62 instead of a new, so-called "pivot age" of 64.
That said an early retirement age coupled with a long life expectancy = a very high pension burden. Someone has to fund it.

We will see more and more pension plans looking to do this, not just in France but in many municipalities in the US.
https://taxfoundation.org/state-pensions-funding-2018/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 5873
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:13 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:25 pm
Tensions mount over French transport strike

https://news.yahoo.com/tensions-mount-o ... 55853.html
I am not surprised that people are pissed about this.
The pensions overhaul, unveiled this week by Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, would fold France's 42 separate pension schemes -- including the early retirement schemes covering train drivers, dockers and several other professions -- into one system that requires people to work for longer.

Philippe particularly angered the unions by proposing a reduced payout for people who retire at the legal age of 62 instead of a new, so-called "pivot age" of 64.
That said an early retirement age coupled with a long life expectancy = a very high pension burden. Someone has to fund it.

We will see more and more pension plans looking to do this, not just in France but in many municipalities in the US.
https://taxfoundation.org/state-pensions-funding-2018/
Iowa is at 80%. There shouldn't be too much rioting. Sorry 'bout NJ & KY.

that joke would have been too easy

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17060
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by raptor » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:46 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Iowa is at 80%. There shouldn't be too much rioting. Sorry 'bout NJ & KY.
Indeed Iowa is in good shape but Illinois next door is in dismal shape. The violence (if it occurs) may come from that direction.
Here are other links.
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/detroi ... ng-haircut

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Pe ... td-p/27349

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 5873
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:24 pm

raptor wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:46 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Iowa is at 80%. There shouldn't be too much rioting. Sorry 'bout NJ & KY.
Indeed Iowa is in good shape but Illinois next door is in dismal shape. The violence (if it occurs) may come from that direction.
Here are other links:
https://www.urban.org/urban-wire/detroi ... ng-haircut

https://community.morningstar.com/t5/Pe ... td-p/27349
Prep for the Golden Horde streaming out from Chi-town.

Got it!

:clownshoes:

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am

FEATURE-Survival camps cater to new fear: America's political unrest

http://news.trust.org/item/20191223102815-rp1cx

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 5873
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:27 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am
FEATURE-Survival camps cater to new fear: America's political unrest

http://news.trust.org/item/20191223102815-rp1cx
This guy & his ranch sound familiar.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14286
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:14 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:27 am
absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am
FEATURE-Survival camps cater to new fear: America's political unrest

http://news.trust.org/item/20191223102815-rp1cx
This guy & his ranch sound familiar.
This isn't exactly news. There have been places like this for decades. More about undermining electoral results as part of the lunatic fringe than anything.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 5873
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:29 am

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:14 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:27 am
absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:24 am
FEATURE-Survival camps cater to new fear: America's political unrest

http://news.trust.org/item/20191223102815-rp1cx
This guy & his ranch sound familiar.
This isn't exactly news. There have been places like this for decades. More about undermining electoral results as part of the lunatic fringe than anything.
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=123430&sid=2c9982 ... 67f6a4b02b

How are these links shortened?

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:41 am

Last edited by absinthe beginner on Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:01 pm

Iran’s leader ordered crackdown on unrest: “Do whatever it takes to end it”

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/featur ... d-it-.html

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:29 pm

Half Of France's National Train System "Grinds To A Halt" As Labor Unions Strike On Christmas Week

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-fina ... stmas-week

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:44 am

Iran internet 'disrupted' ahead of protests

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-e ... ting-story

absinthe beginner
* * * * *
Posts: 1762
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Colorado

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Lebanon’s food importers face challenges paying for goods

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/busine ... goods.html

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3570
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Social Unrest Going Viral Globally

Post by woodsghost » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:15 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:02 pm
Lebanon’s food importers face challenges paying for goods

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/busine ... goods.html
That will be good for the local farmers. Once they get spun up enough to meet demand. I'm not sure if I'm sarcastic or serious here.

But I do hope Lebanon gets straight.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Post Reply

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”