Food Insecurity 2019

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: Food Insecurity 2019

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 pm

I went to the commissary the other day (Don't go very often because it is an hour away) and there were no change in prices on anything that I could note. I will say that if prices do jump a lot I guess I will be in there with all the elderly retirees on fixed income as the meat prices are about half what is available locally. That crowd always make me feel young again even if they tend to be a bit dangerous. They will literally run people over with their motorized scooters if they get in the way, like on purpose.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:20 am

Farm Crisis Spreads As US Corn Exports Plunge To 19-Month Low

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... -month-low

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Stercutus - Retired elderly veterans are like motorized weapons around in the commissary. I remember as a kid thinking that all old people were horrible monstrous creatures because we lived on base and those were the only kind of older people I ever saw :rofl: They'd shove people out of the way physically with their hands without any verbal warning- regardless of whether the shoved person got hurt against a shelf or by falling down-, kick people that got close enough, and their favourite: ram their carts into other people and their carts. Always with this murderous look in their bulging, tiny wizened eyes and tight lipped mouths- ready to escalate at zero provacation.

It was really quite disrespectful to everybody else, and my opinion of them was not very approving. "Wow, old people are jerks," I remember thinking at the tender age of like 9 after the seventh or so old person angrily rammed my mom's cart and left her with bruises so they could ram their way into the front of the shopping line and get to the register first, ahead of people who'd been waiting 20 minutes in line patiently already. Always with that tight vibrating old-vets glare of imminent violent promises.

On topic: Went to our nearest ALDI's yesterday and discoverd that several of the shelf-stable staple items I usually pick up from there had increased by 10-30 cents per item since last month's trip. I found it annoying because there wasn't any notice. :vmad: I know in Germany that's happening, but I didn't hear anything related to within our local ones and I don't like surprises.

And not sure whether they were out, or just not on top of restocking, but all their more-inexpensive bread shelves were empty.

....Maybe this is a naive question, but if China isn't buying our agricultural products right now because their tarriffs are stupidly high, shouldn't that mean OUR prices DEcrease- due to overstock of what's needed right now within the states as a result of reduced exports? Or does that just make too much sense?

I would figure using logic, that actual real transportation costs, from one state to the next state or two over, would be significantly lower than costs to transport the same items from one state to halfway across the world over the ocean. Maybe I'm missing some things here about why we're seeing the opposite result.

I mean, other than the obvious one of all the losses of millions of pounds of unsold food lost from floods recently.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

manacheck

Post by manacheck » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm

goofygurl wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am
We will do it my way ;)
This made me outright grin.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:48 am

manacheck wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 pm

....Maybe this is a naive question, but if China isn't buying our agricultural products right now because their tarriffs are stupidly high, shouldn't that mean OUR prices DEcrease- due to overstock of what's needed right now within the states as a result of reduced exports? Or does that just make too much sense?

.........I mean, other than the obvious one of all the losses of millions of pounds of unsold food lost from floods recently.
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=236554
read through this for another view of the food tariffs

personally I think our prices are the results of weather this year---little or no planting; plus mandates to divert corn to ethanol as first priority, and the fact that a lot of the grains planted go to animal feeds instead of direct human consumption
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 am

manacheck wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:13 pm
goofygurl wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 am
We will do it my way ;)
This made me outright grin.
You're welcome. :awesome:

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:46 am

manacheck wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:08 pm
Stercutus -

On topic: Went to our nearest ALDI's yesterday and discoverd that several of the shelf-stable staple items I usually pick up from there had increased by 10-30 cents per item since last month's trip. I found it annoying because there wasn't any notice. :vmad: I know in Germany that's happening, but I didn't hear anything related to within our local ones and I don't like surprises.

I hit Aldi the other day too. I'm not in there enough to know their regular prices but I do know that everything was within $0.03 or exactly priced to Walmart.

I also know it didn't used to be that way.

manacheck

Post by manacheck » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

goofygurl wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:46 am
I hit Aldi the other day too. I'm not in there enough to know their regular prices but I do know that everything was within $0.03 or exactly priced to Walmart.

That sounds llike intentional pricematching. But actually, that makes sense to me. Could easy be what's happened on this end too. Would sure explain the price changes I saw.

Though... if they're going towards price-matching like that, I'm unlikely to continue shopping there. At Walmart my cans don't get dented from being armswept in from a height, my cart doesn't get swapped out and my reusable bags don't disappear when I turn around... I can *see* if I'm being overcharged when they scan my things in (and go right to customer service to get it fixed if there's any problem I didn't notice until after.) Also, they bag my stuff for me. For free.

All the stuff ALDI's doesn't do in exchange for their lower prices. Just saying, if that's what's up, it's a bad business move.

On the other hand, if all the prices *should* be going up around *all* stores, and Walmart's just slow on the change, it's a pretty good plan on Walmart's end in order to snipe up some of ALDI's usual customer base.

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:37 pm

manacheck wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm
goofygurl wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:46 am

That sounds llike intentional pricematching. But actually, that makes sense to me. Could easy be what's happened on this end too. Would sure explain the price changes I saw.

Though... if they're going towards price-matching like that, I'm unlikely to continue shopping there. At Walmart my cans don't get dented from being armswept in from a height, my cart doesn't get swapped out and my reusable bags don't disappear when I turn around... I can *see* if I'm being overcharged when they scan my things in (and go right to customer service to get it fixed if there's any problem I didn't notice until after.) Also, they bag my stuff for me. For free.

All the stuff ALDI's doesn't do in exchange for their lower prices. Just saying, if that's what's up, it's a bad business move.

On the other hand, if all the prices *should* be going up around *all* stores, and Walmart's just slow on the change, it's a pretty good plan on Walmart's end in order to snipe up some of ALDI's usual customer base.
I'm seeing it other places too so it isn't just Aldi. I go to a Brookshire's owned store called Spring Market to get meat on clearance like three times a week. It's a mile from my house so it's a quick skip over.

In a 3 day span, I watched the same package of cube steaks (5 cube steaks) go from a markdown of $3 to $5. I used to be able to get my husband ribeye and other cuts of steaks for $2-3 each markdown in packs of 2 or 3. I paid $8 the other day for a 2 pack of NY Strip. It was the same store where butter jumped to $5.78#.

The other thing that I've noticed here (not quite Ft. Worth) is the lack of sales. It's back to school time. The sales should be popping. They are really lacking and what is there really are not the greatest deals.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm

The commissary and Publix are full of back to school sales but nothing at Walmart but school supplies. In fairness I wasn't really shopping at Walmart so I wasn't checking carefully.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:19 am

Went for a water sale this evening ($1.88 a case which is normal sale price every few months) and went to grab a few other things.

Ended up skipping them in hopes of getting a better price somewhere else.

$2 each for bell peppers.

Also, Albertsons does buy one get one free on petite sirloin steaks. 3 weeks ago when I was in there last I picked up 2 packs. They were all priced $10-12 per package (3-4 small steaks). Regular priced; the BOGO is the sale, not the per # price.

Those same packs were $15-17 tonight.

Also, Stercurus, I should have clarified a bit better. Sorry about that. When I said back to school sales, I meant food and drink geared toward that time period. Things like bread, peanut butter, etc. This is the first year in at least a decade that I haven't seen a single sale price for those things.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:34 pm

Also, Stercurus, I should have clarified a bit better. Sorry about that. When I said back to school sales, I meant food and drink geared toward that time period. Things like bread, peanut butter, etc. This is the first year in at least a decade that I haven't seen a single sale price for those things.
I understood, it was me unclear Walmart had no snacks and PB&J on sale like they normally do. The school supplies were which was kind of surprising given the tariffs. The commissary does not sell school supplies but their seasonal aisle was full of snack stuff and cereal on sale. However this year the kids are all in college so shopping is more like Ramen and tuna.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:34 pm
I understood, it was me unclear Walmart had no snacks and PB&J on sale like they normally do. The school supplies were which was kind of surprising given the tariffs. The commissary does not sell school supplies but their seasonal aisle was full of snack stuff and cereal on sale. However this year the kids are all in college so shopping is more like Ramen and tuna.
Ah okay. Yeah, that's what I've noticed. The sales are really lackluster and the items I'm noticing shortages on are all across the spectrum here with no pattern at all.

Like I couldn't buy my girls 1 subject notebooks they needed. No one near me had them. I had to get 3 subject.

Also, I literally just got in from Dollar Tree. Stopped to get some shelf stable milk and mine has 32 oz cartons of chicken and beef broth. $1 is a much cheaper price than anywhere else.

I was only able to get 10 beef. They had no chicken at all. Asked the cashier about it and was told to my face they haven't had chicken broth for a month.

manacheck

Post by manacheck » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:07 pm

goofygurl wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:11 pm
I think majorhavok might be on the right track here. No steaks for me at those prices! Time to up my mealworm game. Granted, it'll already take a few months for any increases in my wormies considering the length of life sycle. ...Whether I can bear to eat them when they're cute and happy in their containers is another question. :shock:

At least for a cow, only one has to be slaughtered in order to get a large amount of meat.With insects you need handfuls of tiny little lives to perish for a mouthful.

Maybe I'll save the most adorable worms and then eat the rest. :twisted:

Please do not imagine this scene in your head lol

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Picked up some steaks on Saturday (cooking tonight). The price seemed about normal for it (3 NY Strips, $24) I think last time was 22$ +/- so chaulked it up to general flux in the market. I did notice that all the Ramen had been bought, but it's also back to school time, and college kids, etc...
Next trip I'll keep an eye out better...
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

goofygurl
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by goofygurl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm

manacheck wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:07 pm
goofygurl wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:11 pm
to

Please do not imagine this scene in your head lol
Too late lol.

And I think I'll stick to home canning and skip the meal worms here. I finally found a farmer that will do 1/2 cow AND deliver (he's 2.5 hours away) on payments so considering that. I don't want to drop $1000 or so all at once if I don't have to.

Random out of stock everywhere. Bagged ice. 4 stores I've talked within the past 24 hours to are either out or running 10 bags or less and none of them can get it delivered.

It pays to be a Chatty Cathy sometimes. They give you random info lol.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”