Paris is burning

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Paris is burning

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:09 pm

At least its symbolic heart - Notre Dame Cathedral. More details to follow as this is an unfolding story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/worl ... e=Homepage

Last edited by majorhavoc on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TacAir

Re: Paris is burning

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Don't you really mean "More of Paris is burning"

been an average of three church building a week being set alight for the last while.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:35 pm

I've been under the assumption that they were renovating the Notre Dame church for like the past couple years.

I wonder if this fire could've been the result of a work incident and not something more sinister.

Anyway, here's hoping they can get the fire contained before any more of the structure is destroyed.

ETA: Looks like I was right. Local news in my AO is saying the fire was caused by an incident during renovation work.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:35 pm
I've been under the assumption that they were renovating the Notre Dame church for like the past couple years.

I wonder if this fire could've been the result of a work incident and not something more sinister.

Anyway, here's hoping they can get the fire contained before any more of the structure is destroyed.
One of the articles said that construction/renovation activity is particularly dangerous for centuries old structures like a medieval church. Welders, blow torches, sparks from power tools, etc being in close proximity to old, highly combustible construction materials that obviously do not come even close to meeting modern fire codes. Plus the roof of Notre Dame is apparently too high for fire departments to reach with conventional water hoses.

I'm going out on a limb here and say that based on the intensity of the fire as it appears in those pictures, the damage has spread way beyond just the roof and spire.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm

This is terrible. :cry:

An irreplaceable world cultural treasure. They are saying that many of the art works were out or evacuated due to the construction but still...
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:14 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:50 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:35 pm

One of the articles said that construction/renovation activity is particularly dangerous for centuries old structures like a medieval church. Welders, blow torches, sparks from power tools, etc being in close proximity to old, highly combustible construction materials that obviously do not come even close to meeting modern fire codes. Plus the roof of Notre Dame is apparently too high for fire departments to reach with conventional water hoses.

I'm going out on a limb here and say that based on the intensity of the fire as it appears in those pictures, the damage has spread way beyond just the roof and spire.
Renovation work can be dangerous even on modern buildings. All it takes is one careless (or one that just doesn't give a crap) worker and POOF, there goes whatever structure they're working on.

I hope they can find a way to stop the blaze before the entire structure is torched. It'd be a shame to lose the Notre Dame, which is such a major symbol of France, to fire.

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:43 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:11 pm
This is terrible. :cry:

An irreplaceable world cultural treasure. They are saying that many of the art works were out or evacuated due to the construction but still...
This is some sad news indeed. It does sound like a number of artifacts were already removed prior to renovation work, but many still remained, and of course the structure itself is an artwork and icon.

While much of the structure is stone, falling debris from the roof may have caused damage, and a lot of wooden supports (and just their weight on arcades/buttresses) may be critical to maintaining the integrity of the structure. Some of the latest concerns seem to be about preventing the fire spread to the bell tower and the stability of the entire structure.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Only in France. I don't think we could pull this off in the US.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/france-yello ... notre-dame

The video is worth a watch if only to hear some of the quotes.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:08 pm
Only in France. I don't think we could pull this off in the US.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/france-yello ... notre-dame

The video is worth a watch if only to hear some of the quotes.
I can't even... Stupid on that level should hurt.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”