Camp Fire

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Camp Fire

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:43 am

Bikers provide security for evacuees at church shelter. Yet in every PAW novel the bikers are marauding cannibals. Hmmm, may have to rethink assumptions.

https://www.orovillemr.com/2018/11/26/h ... co-church/

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:43 am
Bikers provide security for evacuees at church shelter. Yet in every PAW novel the bikers are marauding cannibals. Hmmm, may have to rethink assumptions.

My wife teases me about this all the time. Her experiences with bikers has been very positive.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 am

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:54 am
absinthe beginner wrote:

My wife teases me about this all the time. Her experiences with bikers has been very positive.
There's all kinds of people in this world. :wink:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:29 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:

That is because you have not read my new one yet. I am taking bikers to a place they have never been before.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:31 pm

:awesome:
Stercutus wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:29 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:

That is because you have not read my new one yet. I am taking bikers to a place they have never been before.
Now that right there is what you call genuine frightening. :ohdear:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm

From NPR: Weeks After Containment Of California's Deadly Camp Fire, Survivors Wait For Trailers

I have faced this kind of disaster, a fire or a wildfire. Having said that:

1. It took weeks just to contain the Camp Fire. The fire is still burning. It is not out.

2. Survivors are waiting for housing. A core, basic need.

Someone doing what they can, for themselves & their family to prepare for a disaster, should one happen.....it seems ...stupid...not to do so. Just basic simple prepping. Insurance, emergency fund, a communications plan for family members. A bag, of some kind, to grab and go.

Just basic, simple stuff. No need to go all Deth Wears Bunny Slippers or anything. (which we all know, there is nothing wrong with, per se). :wink:

At 1A, a WAMU show also distributed on NPR is this episode, The Things that matter most
If your home were on fire — if you had to flee from disaster — what would you take with you? Years ago, this may have been a prized family photo or a box of important documents. But today, these objects are usually digitized. The cloud holds them for us.

But what can’t be replaced? An heirloom, maybe, like jewelry from a grandparent? Or perhaps a keepsake that can’t be replaced, like a trophy won from a harrowing competition or a beloved stuffed animal? Or maybe it’s something you’ve made — that you’ve imbued with a unique meaning, like a journal or a movie ticket stub from a first date.

For their book What We Keep Bill Shapiro and Naomi Wax asked 150 people, from Ta-Nehisi Coates to Cheryl Strayed, what objects mean the most to them.

What makes an object meaningful? And what does it mean to lose that object?

Produced by Avery Kleinman.

For the Disaster Distress Helpline, call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746
I recommend this episode. There is an audio player on the webpage. The podcast distributed over iTunes is 47 Minutes

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:25 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:23 pm
Someone doing what they can, for themselves & their family to prepare for a disaster, should one happen.....it seems ...stupid...not to do so. Just basic simple prepping. Insurance, emergency fund, a communications plan for family members. A bag, of some kind, to grab and go.
Because there are a lot of people out there who just don't think individuals can make a difference, even to themselves.

There was an article on Ars Technica some months back, and quite a few people just couldn't get their minds around the fact that it's simply more efficient for people to maintain their own preps. Of course, they're also probably the kind of people who will straight-facedly say that cooking takes too long and is inefficient and expensive, so there's a pretty massive divide between that type and the type who will frequent this forum.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:49 pm

Maybe preppers Have trust issues. As in even though others might be able to do it better, they don't trust anyone else to do it but themselves. :wink:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 pm

From NPR: As Evacuation Orders Lift, Some Paradise Residents Return Home To Devestation
For Seth Roberts and other residents of Paradise, Calif., Wednesday marked a sad homecoming.

"I'm in my backyard and it's all gone," Roberts told NPR. "My house is gone, my shop's gone, my sheds are gone. ... Nothing left, just a bunch of charred stuff."

Nearly a month after the Camp Fire decimated the northern California town, officials lifted evacuation orders across a stretch of the eastern portion of Paradise, allowing people to return and see what is left of their homes and businesses.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:49 pm
Maybe preppers Have trust issues. As in even though others might be able to do it better, they don't trust anyone else to do it but themselves. :wink:
"if you dont know them, if you havent worked with them or spent time with them, then DONT trust them" something i live by every day and will go tenfold post SHTF.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 pm

From NPR: Officials Assess Response To Camp Fire In Northern California

This interview was transcribed. There is an audio player as well.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 am

Last edited by MPMalloy on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 am

Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 am

TY for the link. :)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Yes those affected by the Campfire will have some hard choices to make. Build or leave is the key one.
Been there done that with a metro area of ~1 million people. They face many of the same choices as so many others have faced.

Housing
Jobs
Schools
re-building

It will likely to take a decade to completely rebuild.

IN NOLA it was water in this case it was fire. Still same impact.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

From NPR: 'Rethinking The Past' In The Aftermath Of California's Deadly Wildfires
From the air, the scale of the devastation in and around Paradise, Calif., is, simply put, alarming.

Whole neighborhoods and commercial districts are completely decimated, turned to rubble amidst the tall, orange-singed pine trees with blackened trunks. Deeper into the mountains, illegal pot plantations were suddenly exposed — and charred. Then there's the odd home on a ridge top or Rite Aid store that's been randomly spared.

"See how hot that burned, there's nothing left down there," says Dan Tomascheski, talking through a headset over the roar of the helicopter.

He's vice president of resources for Sierra Pacific Industries, one of northern California's biggest timber companies. 10,000 acres of the company's private land was scorched by the Camp Fire, the largest and deadliest wildfire in California history.

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”