How did Venezuela end up this way?

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: How did Venezuela end up this way?

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:29 am

From The Cipher Brief, in an email:
Today’s IntelBrief: Venezuela Teetering on the Brink:

According to the United Nations, approximately 2.3 million Venezuelans have fled their country over the last several years.

Extreme shortages of food and medicine, coupled with hyper-inflation that could approach one million percent, are pushing Venezuelans to flee to neighboring Ecuador, Colombia, and elsewhere.

The Maduro government has begun its second term by blaming the U.S. and Europe for the country’s problems.

As with Syria, the refugee crisis is a humanitarian nightmare as well as a destabilizing force, leading to calls of military intervention
nuttin' new... :wink:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:22 pm

From CNBC: US preparing 'actions' in coming days against Venezuela, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says
The United States is preparing a "series of actions" in the coming days to increase pressure on the Venezuelan government, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told Fox News on Friday.

"You'll see in the coming days a series of actions that continue to increase the pressure level against the Venezuelan leadership folks, who are working directly against the best interest of the Venezuelan people," Pompeo said. "We're determined to ensure that the Venezuelan people get their say."

He did not give further details on the nature of the planned actions.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:04 am

How do you solve catastrophic hyperinflation?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45523636

Venezuelans are living through one of the worst hyperinflation episodes ever recorded since the end of World War Two.

Prices have hit a new high in August, peaking at 65,000% a year, says Steve Hanke, a professor of applied economics at Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, and one of the world's leading experts on hyperinflation.

Under President Nicolas Maduro, inflation stands at around 150% a month, says Prof Hanke - hyperinflation is defined as when inflation rates are greater than 50% per month and persist for more than 30 consecutive days.

Venezuela entered the Hanke‐Krus World Hyperinflation Table in November 2016 when prices were rising by 219% a month and doubling every 18 days.

The situation has since worsened and amidst severe shortages of food and medicine, citizens are now forced to pay for everyday basics with stacks of cash.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

bah, they are posers compared to Zimbabwe.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm
bah, they are posers compared to Zimbabwe.
Word. :D

From NPR: Latin American Countries Urge Investigation Of Venezuela For Crimes Against Humanity
Five South American countries and Canada have asked the International Criminal Court, a Netherlands-based tribunal, to place Venezuela under investigation for crimes against humanity. This is the first time a country has been referred to the ICC for investigation by an outside state. Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Peru, Paraguay and Canada submitted their request on Wednesday to the court.

The alleged crimes in Venezuela date back to 2014, and include torture, the arbitrary detention of political opponents and anti-government protesters, and more than 8,000 extrajudicial executions cited in a dossier by the Organization of American States.

Jose Miguel Vivanco, head of the Americas division at Human Rights Watch, spoke to NPR, "Our research shows that the abuses in Venezuela were not isolated, or the results of excesses by rogue security forces members. Our documentation actually shows that multiple security forces committed widespread abuses repeatedly, over a period of months and years, in different locations across the country, including in controlled environments such as military installations, or police stations."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:20 pm

From ABC (Australia): The Venezuelan crisis matters and there's much we can do
Venezuela is far from Australia and, until its recent collapse, had not really been on the media's radar.

Yet close to four million Venezuelans have left the country since 2007, with two million in the past two years alone — that's a higher rate than Syria. And inflation is due to hit 1,000,000 per cent by Christmas

The South American country may seem far away, but its economic prospects have a greater impact on Australia than it first seems, from petrol prices to the Venezuelan communities in our suburbs.
Somehow the mobile site keeps on popping up when I click the links. :?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:29 am

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am

From Bloomberg privacy-raping-data-trafficers: Venezuela’s Meltdown Creates a Nation of Desperate Capitalists
The call to capitalism is primal. As soon as humankind graduated from hunting and gathering, markets emerged. The first formal institutions seem to have begun in the Fertile Crescent. On the Micronesian island of Yap, seafaring explorers brought massive limestone discs from afar to serve as stationary, monumental currency. Today, markets are ubiquitous for everything from sports tickets to Wall Street deals conducted in milliseconds. But in Venezuela, commerce is returning to an earlier era of experimentation and invention.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am

That is a great article, giving an inside look on how to survive in an economy gone very, very wrong. Cobbling shoes, mending and altering clothes, repairing appliances and even light bulbs because new things are economically out of reach. Except for mining crypto currency it reflects a lot of the stories many relatives have told me of the Great Depression.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am
That is a great article, giving an inside look on how to survive in an economy gone very, very wrong. Cobbling shoes, mending and altering clothes, repairing appliances and even light bulbs because new things are economically out of reach. Except for mining crypto currency it reflects a lot of the stories many relatives have told me of the Great Depression.
1. See what people want/need.
2. Of those, what can you do.
3. Charge reasonable rates.

That being said, I guess... I've never been in anything like a Venezula-type economy. My comments are probably over-simplistic. When I was homeless, I learned about hustling. Hustling is an attitude, an outlook. What someones hustle is; there lies the rub. It couls be "Hey, I can hold your place in line while you (go to the bathroom/make that cal/etc)." or it could be something that attracts the attention of the law. It depends.

Don't be wrong. 8-)

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:34 am

The collapse of Venezuela’s health care system and its impact on surrounding countries:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... ost&wpmm=1

This article highlights the need to keep your jabs up to date but also shows how unmet basics, like the inability to repair or replace a health clinic refrigerator and car, impact care.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 pm

Gruesome! Slaughtering someone else’s horse, during the night, for the meat! Oh Venezuela...how far you have fallen!

https://apnews.com/0d2959271d4f40858ab48a26d061be33
- Flash

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:53 pm
Gruesome! Slaughtering someone else’s horse, during the night, for the meat! Oh Venezuela...how far you have fallen!

BOXER!!!!

:cry:
Shall be my brother

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 am
FlashDaddy wrote:

BOXER!!!!

Is that your horses name?

Dith Prahn, the Cambodian journalist featured in The Killing Fields, actually sucked blood from an ox, ate mice, insects and bark to sustain himself. (See mass extinction thread)
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:29 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:

Maybe it was for a mob hit? :mrgreen:

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:13 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 am
FlashDaddy wrote:

BOXER!!!!

Is that your horses name?

Dith Prahn, the Cambodian journalist featured in The Killing Fields, actually sucked blood from an ox, ate mice, insects and bark to sustain himself. (See mass extinction thread)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_(Animal_Farm)
Shall be my brother

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”