Atlantic tropics....

Stuff that’s happening in the world that may pertain to our survival. Please keep political debates off the forum.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Atlantic tropics....

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:54 am

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 am
Except Houston does not have gators. Could make for some interesting times for people that get in to the flood waters.
Technically this just south of the Houston city line but close enough. :mrgreen:

https://patch.com/texas/meyerland/hurri ... -fire-ants

Honestly the alligators do not worry me. The ball of fire ants though would be a really painful encounter. Avoid them at all costs. They instantly spread out once they touch anything dry.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:07 pm

JayceSlayn wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 am
EDIT: Extra Scepter 20 L container acquired and filled. Good excuse to buy a nice new water container. :)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:21 pm

From NPR: Hurricane Florence Zeroes In On Carolinas, Bringing 130 MPH Winds
Hurricane Florence is blasting toward the Carolinas, carrying sustained winds of up to 130 mph and the threat of "life-threatening storm surge and rainfall," the National Hurricane Center says.

A hurricane warning – meaning hurricane conditions are expected within 36 hours — is in effect for a long stretch of the coast, from the Santee River in South Carolina to Duck, N.C. — part of the Outer Banks.

Hurricane conditions will likely hit on Friday, but tropical storm conditions will arrive on Thursday, the hurricane center said.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 pm

I'mma just gonna leave this here...

https://earth.nullschool.net/
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 pm

This is bad-assed. Thanks!

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 pm
NT2C wrote:

If you think that's bad-assed, check these:

https://www.ventusky.com/

https://www.cyclocane.com/

https://www.windy.com/

8-)
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:21 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:45 pm
NT2C wrote:

And you can actually spin the globe with your "hand". Wee!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:55 am

Windy.com also has a smart phone app. I use it all the timesonce it also shows wind speed and direct at various altitudes as well as rain.

Some good news the disturbance in the GOM did not intensify and will hit land today.

That and Florence is down to a CAT 2 still bad but it is weakening. Hopefully it will keep up its speed, not stall, and reduce the local rainfall damage.

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 am

Update #3

Well, the storm is downgraded, which is the good news, but the bad news is it's now projected to essentially pivot around me here in NC. We were originally going to get the Western side of the storm and now we'll get the worse Eastern side as it swings around us. This means I expect to have various conditions from the storm from Friday evening through Monday.

I have now filled all of my Specter and Rhino water containers. I have well over 30+ gallons of drinking water set aside (it's only me and my youngish child for the storm). I also have my trash can filled for flushing toilets and will fill one of my bathtubs Friday afternoon. I've broken out the propane grill (for us outside of course) as well as my alcohol burning stove in case they're needed. I went through and double checked all my prepped food (mylar bag stored) to ensure they're all airtight. The stores have plenty of dry and canned goods still. Water, flashlights, batteries, bread, and milk are still available at stores but you might have to wait for a pallet to show up. The news has been reporting new pallets of goods are arriving approximately every two hours at stores and the news is publishing the locations and times of these shipments (sounds like a dangerous stampede eventually). The gas stations have been sporadically packed but I've yet to find one that is completely out of gas, although a few types (regular vs premium) are occasionally out. I have a full car of gas and two five gallon containers set aside.

Despite all this, there are still a large contingent of people on my social media making fun of people preparing for the storm...No doubt these will be the first to come begging when the power or water stops. We're expected to receive over a foot of water and winds over 40mph as of the latest forecast. I'm entirely expecting to be without power for multiple days. I don't expect to lose water but I'm certainly prepared to. I'm spending today (Thursday) going through all my devices and making sure they're charged and broke out the large packs of batteries and solar chargers. I've also fished out my car inverter should I need that. I have a USB powered fan I can hook to a cell phone battery bank and run on a single charge for 5+ hours too. I've gotten out the checkers/chess set, playing cards, and have downloaded a few seasons of various shows and movies onto a few different Amazon Fire Kindle's so there's viewing in the downtime. I also updated my list of books on my Kindle Paperwhite.

I'll keep you guys updated and if I lose internet/power hopefully I can continue to update via my cell as long as possible!
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 am

SouthernZombie wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 am
Update #3

Well, the storm is downgraded
I have now filled all of my Specter and Rhino water containers.
I also have my trash can filled for flushing toilets and will fill one of my bathtubs Friday afternoon. I've broken out the propane grill (for us outside of course) as well as my alcohol burning stove in case they're needed. I went through and double checked all my prepped food (mylar bag stored) to ensure they're all airtight.
I have a full car of gas and two five gallon containers set aside.
Despite all this, there are still a large contingent of people on my social media making fun of people preparing for the storm
I'm spending today (Thursday) going through all my devices and making sure they're charged and broke out the large packs of batteries and solar chargers. I've also fished out my car inverter should I need that. I have a USB powered fan I can hook to a cell phone battery bank and run on a single charge for 5+ hours too. I've gotten out the checkers/chess set, playing cards, and have downloaded a few seasons of various shows and movies onto a few different Amazon Fire Kindle's so there's viewing in the downtime. I also updated my list of books on my Kindle Paperwhite.
Even if it turns out this storm is over-hyped or it leaves your location relatively unscathed, these close calls are really good exercises in assessing your preps and thinking hard about things you might have overlooked. I actually hope the jokers in your social media group are right and this is all for naught. But that shouldn't discourage anyone from taking their preps (and storm warnings) seriously.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am

From ABC (Australia): Philippines typhoon: Millions in the path of the year's strongest storm
The most powerful typhoon of the season is closing in on the northern Philippines, where officials ordered precautionary evacuations and closures of schools and offices and urged farmers to quickly harvest their crops to reduce damage.
Key points:

Typhoon Mangkut has recorded winds of 265kph
Potential for storm surges, flooding and landslides increase the risks
The typhoon is the 15th storm to batter the Philippines this year

Forecasters said Typhoon Mangkhut, considered the strongest this year, could hit northern Cagayan province on Saturday.

It was located about 800 kilometres away in the Pacific with sustained winds of 265 kilometres per hour and gusts of up to 325kph.

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:00 am

Just received an e-mail from my local government stating to be prepared for 72 hours of loss of electric. Fortunately, my work is taking it very seriously and is encouraging us to take work time to prepare.
"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
Carl Sagan

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am

SouthernZombie wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:18 am
Update #3

Well, the storm is downgraded, which is the good news, but the bad news is it's now projected to essentially pivot around me here in NC. We were originally going to get the Western side of the storm and now we'll get the worse Eastern side as it swings around us. This means I expect to have various conditions from the storm from Friday evening through Monday.

I have now filled all of my Specter and Rhino water containers. I have well over 30+ gallons of drinking water set aside (it's only me and my youngish child for the storm). I also have my trash can filled for flushing toilets and will fill one of my bathtubs Friday afternoon. I've broken out the propane grill (for us outside of course) as well as my alcohol burning stove in case they're needed. I went through and double checked all my prepped food (mylar bag stored) to ensure they're all airtight. The stores have plenty of dry and canned goods still. Water, flashlights, batteries, bread, and milk are still available at stores but you might have to wait for a pallet to show up. The news has been reporting new pallets of goods are arriving approximately every two hours at stores and the news is publishing the locations and times of these shipments (sounds like a dangerous stampede eventually). The gas stations have been sporadically packed but I've yet to find one that is completely out of gas, although a few types (regular vs premium) are occasionally out. I have a full car of gas and two five gallon containers set aside.

Despite all this, there are still a large contingent of people on my social media making fun of people preparing for the storm...No doubt these will be the first to come begging when the power or water stops. We're expected to receive over a foot of water and winds over 40mph as of the latest forecast. I'm entirely expecting to be without power for multiple days. I don't expect to lose water but I'm certainly prepared to. I'm spending today (Thursday) going through all my devices and making sure they're charged and broke out the large packs of batteries and solar chargers. I've also fished out my car inverter should I need that. I have a USB powered fan I can hook to a cell phone battery bank and run on a single charge for 5+ hours too. I've gotten out the checkers/chess set, playing cards, and have downloaded a few seasons of various shows and movies onto a few different Amazon Fire Kindle's so there's viewing in the downtime. I also updated my list of books on my Kindle Paperwhite.

I'll keep you guys updated and if I lose internet/power hopefully I can continue to update via my cell as long as possible!
It's a little late for this but... it's all well and good to have trash cans and bathtubs of water to flush with, but that presumes having somewhere for the flushed water to travel to, which may not be the case in an extended power outage or flooding. Having an alternative setup for that is something to consider for future preps. I have a portable folding toilet that utilizes "wag bags" to solidify waste and make it safe for disposal in regular trash. It's a little pricey for the bags but if you buy a couple of cases the price drops a bit, and they have virtually indefinite storage life.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am

A live feed from Frying Pan Shoals off the coast.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:30 pm

From FEMA, via an email:
Hurricane Florence Response
Text SHELTER and your zip code to 43362 (4FEMA)

FEMA is working with state, local, tribal, and territorial partners to respond to the impacts of the storm.

When it comes to disaster response, the entire community has a role to play.

See FEMA's video, Disaster Response is a Team Effort, to see how this works.

If you are in the path of the storm:

Stay safe and take shelter. Everyone should be making final preparations this morning as Hurricane Florence moves towards the United States. Coastal residents in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia may already be seeing tropical storm or hurricane force winds.

Communicate with friends and family. Tell them where you are riding out the storm, and how you will let them know you’re safe. You can call, text, email, or use social media.

Stay informed. Turn on your TV/radio, or check your city/county website for weather updates and emergency instructions.
Keep away from windows. Close storm shutters; flying glass from broken windows could injure you.
Prepare for power outages. Turn your refrigerator or freezer to the coldest setting, and open only when necessary. If you lose power, food will last longer. Keep a thermometer in the refrigerator to check food temperature when the power is restored.
Listen to local officials for evacuation orders. If you need a safe place to go, text SHELTER and your zip code (i.e. SHELTER 12345) to 4FEMA (43362) to locate an open emergency shelter near you. You can also look up shelters on the FEMA App.
Do not drive around barricades, or through high water. Remember, if you encounter flooded roadways, turn around, don’t drown!

During a disaster, information can change quickly and rumors can spread. It's important to verify information before sharing by checking what local, state, and federal authorities are saying first. For up-to-date resources and information, visit the Hurricane Florence page or FEMA.gov.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:09 pm

The good news is that Florence is weakening and will continue to weaken. The bad news is that it is slowing down and stalling. So while the winds are weaker the slow storm means that the area will exposed for a longer period to these winds and rain. The rain especially can dump massive amounts of water on the area. The flooding of Houston in 2017 was the result of a similar type of event.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Categ ... g-Expected

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:28 am

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/residents-tra ... ories.html

First responders in North Carolina are scrambling to rescue residents stranded due to raging flood waters caused by Hurricane Florence.

Officials in New Bern, a coastal town in Craven County, North Carolina, said at least 150 people were "awaiting rescue" early Friday morning as the dangerous hurricane moved ashore, packing 90-mph winds.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

SouthernZombie

Post by SouthernZombie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 am

Update #4

Posting this morning. In my area there has been no rainfall but it's very overcast and winds are beginning to gust to about 20mph. This morning I already lost power for about 2 hours. While the power was out I spoke to some neighbors and then drove down the street to see that others still had power, so it appeared to be localized to my immediate area. While I was out I checked a gas station and it still had gas and even a few bags of ice for sale! Word seems to be that most people will be heading home at lunch to begin to hunker down as the winds pickup.

I've made sure to have all my dishes cleaned and laundry done so that's all prepped as well. Everything is charged and accessible. I'll update much as I can!
Carl Sagan

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 am

SouthernZombie wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 am
Update #4

Posting this morning. In my area there has been no rainfall but it's very overcast and winds are beginning to gust to about 20mph. This morning I already lost power for about 2 hours. While the power was out I spoke to some neighbors and then drove down the street to see that others still had power, so it appeared to be localized to my immediate area. While I was out I checked a gas station and it still had gas and even a few bags of ice for sale! Word seems to be that most people will be heading home at lunch to begin to hunker down as the winds pickup.

I've made sure to have all my dishes cleaned and laundry done so that's all prepped as well. Everything is charged and accessible. I'll update much as I can!
Keep on keeping on! You'll make it!

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:04 am

Charleston has been spared the brunt of this. Slight breeze, no rain, partly cloudy. We are however expected to start getting the rain and wind later today.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:35 am

SouthernZombie wrote:
Update #4

You're ZS. You got this. 8-)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 am

flybynight wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:28 am
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/residents-tra ... ories.html

First responders in North Carolina are scrambling to rescue residents stranded due to raging flood waters caused by Hurricane Florence.

Officials in New Bern, a coastal town in Craven County, North Carolina, said at least 150 people were "awaiting rescue" early Friday morning as the dangerous hurricane moved ashore, packing 90-mph winds.
I hope each and every one of them gets a hefty bill for the rescue and a possible fine for not evacuating.

(I'd also probably be okay with someone who didn't heed a mandatory evacuation being charged with manslaughter if, God forbid, a rescuer gets killed trying to save their fool ass)

JayceSlayn

Post by JayceSlayn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:39 am

SouthernZombie wrote:
Update #4

Weather around here, and the forecast is much the same. We've hit about peak expected winds (low-20's mph sustained, low-30's gusts), but this should basically plateau straight through late Sunday. Rain is expected to start in earnest in the next hour or so, and then we're expected to accumulate 6 inches by Monday. We've certainly had much higher short-term wind and downpour events before, but I guess the days-long effect of soaking the ground and moderate wind is expected to help uproot some trees etc., leading to still slight risk of power outages. I have yet to lose power, however.

Hope everyone else in the region is staying safe! I haven't heard of any ZS-ers attempting to ride out the brunt of Florence (I think that would go against our general philosophy), but I especially hope for those who are, for whatever reasons.
Rahul Telang wrote:If you don’t have a plan in place, you will find different ways to screw it up
Colin Wilson wrote:There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:17 am

From NPR: Hurricane Florence To Test FEMA

I'm not expecting anything different out of the Gov't than how they did after Maria. Having said that, things are different, in terms of geography and distance. So, the same level of "effort" out of "da man", could yield better results.

YMMV

Return to “Disasters in Current Events”