It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From Reuters via Twitter:
Quote:
BREAKING: Oroville dam evacuees are safe to return home, businesses can resume operations - Butte County sheriff.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From CBC/AP via Twitter:
Quote:
California dam evacuees can return home, but need to be ready to leave again. Authorities say the risk of the dam collapsing has been significantly reduced.

The Associated Press Posted: Feb 14, 2017 7:29 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 14, 2017 5:50 PM ET

What to know about California's failing Oroville Dam
Authorities lifted an evacuation order Tuesday allowing 200,000 California residents who live below the nation's tallest dam to return home after declaring the risk of a catastrophic collapse of a damaged spillway had been significantly reduced.

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said residents can return home immediately. State water officials said they have drained enough of the lake behind Oroville Dam so that its earthen emergency spillway will not be needed to handle runoff from an approaching storm.

What to know about California's failing Oroville Dam
Residents returning home "have to be vigilant," and "there is the prospect that we will issue another evacuation order ... if the situation changes," the sheriff said.

Officials had ordered residents to flee to higher ground Sunday after fearing a never-before-used emergency spillway was close to failing and sending a 30-foot wall of water into communities downstream.

'All we knew is to head north.' — Yolanda Davila, evacuee

Earlier, California Department of Water Resources spokesman Chris Orrock said lake levels are also dropping at a rate of roughly 2.4 metres per day.

The goal is to see the water level at 262 metres by Thursday when inflows should begin from the expected storms.

Authorities said earlier they had averted the immediate danger of a catastrophic failure at the dam that could unleash a wall of water three storys tall on towns below.

"We're doing everything we can to get this dam in shape that they can return and they can live safely without fear. It's very difficult," California Gov. Jerry Brown told reporters during a news conference on Monday evening.

On Monday, Brown sent a letter to U.S. President Donald Trump, asking him to issue an emergency declaration, which would open up federal assistance for the affected communities, after an emergency overflow channel appeared on the brink of collapse.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer told reporters Tuesday the administration would "make sure we are doing everything we can to attend to this matter" and "help people who have been impacted," adding that the dam was evidence that the United States needed to overhaul its infrastructure, one of Trump's domestic goals.

Little warning

Yolanda Davila, 62, of Thermalito, Calif., ended up at the Silver Dollar Fairgrounds in Chico, one of only five shelters in the area taking people with pets. She left home without medicine and dog food in the rush to find shelter before the evacuation deadline.

She said that areas such as Sacramento had been issued flood warnings earlier in the week and that authorities should have warned residents near Oroville much sooner.

"We didn't have a plan, all we knew is to head north toward Chico," Davila said. "If I knew we had to get out earlier I would have went to the Bay Area."

The earth-filled dam is just upstream and east of Oroville, a town of about 16,000 people. At 230 metres high, the structure, built between 1962 and 1968, is some 12 metres taller than the Hoover Dam.

On Monday afternoon, crews dropped large bags filled with rocks into a gap at the top of the emergency spillway to rebuild the eroded hillside.

The main spillway, a separate channel, is also damaged because part of its concrete lining fell apart last week. Both spillways are to the side of the dam itself, which has not been compromised, engineers said.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:06 pm 

WOW that's reassuring :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
WOW that's reassuring :roll:
I refrained from commentary because I didn't want to have to check my PM's. :ohdear:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:27 pm 

Try ending your commentary with "bless their hearts".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
Try ending your commentary with "bless their hearts".
:lol:

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:31 am 

I think if I lived there, I'd run in, grab whatever I've realized I'm missing, make sure I have pictures of everything else, and hightail it out of there.

Of course, that doesn't work if your kids are supposed to be in school or your job requires you to be there.

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:00 pm 

CG wrote:
I think if I lived there, I'd run in, grab whatever I've realized I'm missing, make sure I have pictures of everything else, and hightail it out of there.

Of course, that doesn't work if your kids are supposed to be in school or your job requires you to be there.

The schools have closed at least through Friday, so at least that's not an immediate issue for families to have to worry about.

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:08 pm 

Anianna wrote:
CG wrote:

The schools have closed at least through Friday, so at least that's not an immediate issue for families to have to worry about.

Forgot that part. 8-)

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

From AP via Twitter:
Quote:
Officials race to drain lake behind Oroville Dam before new storms test quick repairs made to damaged spillways

I am trying to find out when the storms are due & how strong they will be. Has anyone heard anything?

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:43 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
From AP via Twitter:
Quote:
Officials race to drain lake behind Oroville Dam before new storms test quick repairs made to damaged spillways

I am trying to find out when the storms are due & how strong they will be. Has anyone heard anything?

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.51377593300049&lon=-121.5563599089997#.WKURCoWcFjo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:50 am 

I didn't know that the erosion problem was identified in 2005 and subsequently the fix was rejected

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:28 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

The scale of the dam (compared to the construction workers making emergency spillway repairs) is remarkable. This photo shows the erosion of the emergency spillway; the normal spillway can be seen in the background.

From the limited coverage on the UK news the current California storms seem to be further south than Oroville. Is the dam escaping the worst of the weather? Are more water releases (and potentially more spillway erosion) likely?

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 pm 

A levee near Manteca was breached Monday night leading to mandatory evacuations in the area, according to San Joaquin County officials said. Mandatory evacuations were ordered for people living within the below boundary:.... The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for the pictured area on Monday, Feb. 20, 2017, due to a levee breach south of Manteca. The warning is set to expire at 7 a.m. Tuesday.

The Never-ending story.....