It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:16 pm 

FEMA’s National Integration Center is currently soliciting public feedback for the National Incident Management System (NIMS) refresh. This National Engagement Period will conclude at 5:00 pm EDT on May 9, 2016. National engagement provides an opportunity for interested parties to comment on the draft of the refreshed NIMS, so that it reflects the collective expertise and experience of the whole community. Download the draft version of the refreshed NIMS and feedback matrix here: http://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/115892

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:40 pm 

FEMA.... Isn't that the other four letter f-bomb to most preppers?

Let's ask Michonne what she thinks of a FEMA camp?

Better yet, let's ask a Syrian refugee.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:43 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

FEMA continues to serve an essential function in the United States, and the fact that they invite and welcome public input is testament to their understanding that the best preparation is a community of informed citizens.

As the only (to my knowledge) federal agency even remotely interested or invested in disaster preparation, I would think the reasonable prepper would appreciate at least some of what they do.

Past fuckups notwithstanding.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:36 pm 

FEMA itself really isn't to blame for past incidents even. Once mobilized it doesn't take much for them to show up, probably one of the fastest federal agency's.

Despite bad press I think anything that informs people to be prepared is a good thing. I always laugh when I hear that we are all going to be sent to FEMA camps set in the parking lots of Walmart. I think that's pop culture, just like prepping for zombies.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:15 pm 

Beowulf & Halfapint:

You both bring up good points.

In all fairness, I've never had any experience with FEMA..... but a big reason of why I prep is that I would like to keep it that way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:03 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

My experiences with FEMA after Katrina were multiple and all were unsatisfactory.

That said this thread is not a referendum on FEMA. It is about the agency seeking input and advice on their programs. This always a good thing and should be applauded. So if you want to criticize FEMA feel free to contact them directly via the Web site posted by the OP and offer some constructive criticism to them.

Please do not derail this thread with FEMA bashing.

Thank you.

ImageImageImage

Hall of Fame Forum

Forum Rules Link

Last edited by raptor on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:37 pm 

KJ4VOV, thanks for posting. If I can find the time by the deadline, will plan on reviewing and commenting on this document. As part of building more resilient and responsible communities (and thus helping ourselves in the long run), I believe its a responsibility of us 'prepper' minded folks to help improve the organizations involved in disaster recovery/emergency management. This seems like it would be a great forum for that.

As a former Fed gov't worker (not DHS) and former resident of DC (meaning I lived with and hung out with people in these types of organizations), it always seems funny how much hate FEMA gets in the prepper community. Its mission seems to align pretty closely with what we all are striving to do. Sure there are problems (as with any organization), but its not some evil organization that's going to steal and eat your babies.

"FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards."

Hiroshima_Morphine, not pointing at you, just tired of hearing the general FEMA bashing (verses constructive critiism and ideas for improvement) from the prepper community. And so tired of the term 'FEMA Camp'.

Sorry for the rant. :words:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:08 pm 

In this particular instance I wear multiple hats. As a life-long cynic I tend to look at government with a jaundiced eye, but I'm willing to hold any criticism until earned, and then try to restrict it to the event and circumstances that earned it. But, like the rest of you, I'm human and don't always do such a good job of it. As a prepper I listen to the advice such agencies give and judge how well it fits with my own knowledge and experiences, and filter out what to accept accordingly. As a ham, I've worked with FEMA, and found that (surprise!) they are an organization made up of people not at all unlike us, who are not infallible, who make mistakes, who learn from their mistakes and move on. Sure, some are total asshats, some are know-it-alls who won't shut up or let you forget that, some are just ordinary folks trying to do a job, and some are the nicest people you ever want to meet. Like I said, just like us. And I have a wife who works for DHS (this year will mark 20 years in government service for her) in a fairly high capacity, doing things she can't talk to me about, so I have to wear the "spouse of a Fed" hat too.

With all that in mind, and as someone with took the FEMA EMI NIMS and ICS courses (and a few others, like many of you here also probably did) and I agree with them that a refresher is a good idea. Sure, if all we did was train and prepare for disasters and for working as a team during one, we probably wouldn't need a refresher, it'd be part of our regular training. But I don't think that's true of any of us here. Most of us have lives outside of prepping and training, spouses, families, jobs, other responsibilities, other things we need to devote ourselves too. Things get forgotten over time, and the material we may have studied has now evolved and been refined, so a refresher is a good idea in my opinion, and being able to have a say in it, and give input on it, is a nice luxury we seldom get granted. I think we should make the most of it, and give them some ZS input. After all, isn't that one of the things ZS was created to do? Help folks prepare?

(In case this came out sounding "weird", I just want it noted that I'm highly medicated these days, and tend to ramble and go off on tangents - apologies if I've done that here)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:40 pm 

I meant no offense, and if I offended anyone, please accept my apology......

I'll see my self to another thread now :)