Low-Grid web-searching?

Useful links. If you want to pimp a site related to the forum discussions do it here.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Low-Grid web-searching?

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Wikipedia - it works within my budget: TEK

woodsghost

Re: Low-Grid web-searching?

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Interesting. Do you actually use this right now? Or do you plan to use it in some way?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:11 pm
Interesting. Do you actually use this right now? Or do you plan to use it in some way?
It's a page I stumbled across. If someone interwebbed over a metered connection (I have), it would be a way to stretch one's data allowance.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:48 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 pm
woodsghost wrote:
It's a page I stumbled across. If someone interwebbed over a metered connection (I have), it would be a way to stretch one's data allowance.
I've done most of the last 1.5 years on a metered connection. It has cut down on my internetting. We did recently get a line again at the apartment. My saving grace has been that when I empty my data, I still have internet access, but at a lower speed. So it is more waiting.

I like this idea though. I really like it for a more rural area or other countries. I'll have to try it out.

I'm curious about how useful it would be in a bug out, like the Cali fires. Or a flood, like in Texas.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:48 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:27 pm
woodsghost wrote:
I've done most of the last 1.5 years on a metered connection. It has cut down on my internetting. We did recently get a line again at the apartment. My saving grace has been that when I empty my data, I still have internet access, but at a lower speed. So it is more waiting.

I like this idea though. I really like it for a more rural area or other countries. I'll have to try it out.

I'm curious about how useful it would be in a bug out, like the Cali fires. Or a flood, like in Texas.
I have a pay-thru-the-nose smartphone plan. I see it as saving my data should I need to search for the latest updates on the disaster, shelter locations, news. I won't have to pay for all the images, video, ie...data I don't need.

That's how it looks on my mental napkin.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Just an FYI, at least for Android users:

In Firefox Mobile you can go to about:config, find permissions.default.image, and set it to 2 to disable all images. Turn off the various other media and javascript in settings, and you're basically down to text.

Chrome used to have a setting for this, but it's apparently been removed since the last time I used it. I guess Google counts on Data Saver doing the job and thus it being unnecessary in Chrome. :p

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:29 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:55 pm

In Firefox Mobile you can go to about:config, find permissions.default.image, and set it to 2 to disable all images. Turn off the various other media and javascript in settings, and you're basically down to text.

Chrome used to have a setting for this, but it's apparently been removed since the last time I used it. I guess Google counts on Data Saver doing the job and thus it being unnecessary in Chrome. :p
¡Las fuerzas revolucionarias populares le agradecen, señor boskone! ¡Viva MOZILLA!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:29 pm

boskone wrote:

Exellant! I've been looking for an excuse to stop letting Big Data spy on me. At work I almost exclusively use Firefox.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:17 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:29 pm
boskone wrote:

Exellant! I've been looking for an excuse to stop letting Big Data spy on me. At work I almost exclusively use Firefox.
I mostly use Firefox and DDG in general these days. Every now and again I run into a site that's got functional issues outside of Chrome or (more rarely) IE, or I just can't get DDG to cough up a good search result (why doesn't it have a "last year" option for searches? That's one of my favorite filtering mechanisms.)

Not that I'm entirely out of Google's and MS' clutches. I'm a pretty heavy Linux user in a lot of places, but Linux just can't replace my Chromebook or desktop (Windows) yet. (Chrome OS more than windows, really; the handwriting rec is nice, and combined with Squid is great. Windows is mostly for gaming, and I do that less and less each year.)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a pay-thru-the-nose smartphone plan.
How "pay through the nose" are we talking? I ask because of the vast proliferation of "unlimited" plans these days. We've been with Sprint for quite a few years now on an unlimited text & data plan with enough minutes (1,500mo) that we just bought a phone for my MIL and added it to our plan because we simply never even come close to using all those minutes (I think our highest monthly usage was 28 minutes - we mostly text). You could probably shop around and find yourself a better plan that would save you some bucks.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 am
MPMalloy wrote:
How "pay through the nose" are we talking? I ask because of the vast proliferation of "unlimited" plans these days. We've been with Sprint for quite a few years now on an unlimited text & data plan with enough minutes (1,500mo) that we just bought a phone for my MIL and added it to our plan because we simply never even come close to using all those minutes (I think our highest monthly usage was 28 minutes - we mostly text). You could probably shop around and find yourself a better plan that would save you some bucks.
As in pay-as-you-go. When I don't use my data (cellular), no charge. Data over Wi-Fi is free. I rarely use my phone for anything. I had my account set up to auto-purchase a card every month. I did that for a couple of years before I looked at the time I accrued.. Talk, text, data, service time...it added up. I 'save' by not having an ongoing monthly charge.

I should have stated my "plan" more clearly.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 am
NT2C wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
As in pay-as-you-go. When I don't use my data (cellular), no charge. Data over Wi-Fi is free. I rarely use my phone for anything. I had my account set up to auto-purchase a card every month. I did that for a couple of years before I looked at the time I accrued.. Talk, text, data, service time...it added up. I 'save' by not having an ongoing monthly charge.

I was pretty excited about the "pay as you go" plans when I found out about them. But doing the math, my wife and I get a little more distance out of another plan. But if I was still single I can see my getting more distance out of a pay as you go.

What really kills plans for us is the taxes and fees. The pay-by-month plans skirt around most fees and the worst of the taxes.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:31 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 am
MPMalloy wrote:
NT2C wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

I was pretty excited about the "pay as you go" plans when I found out about them. But doing the math, my wife and I get a little more distance out of another plan. But if I was still single I can see my getting more distance out of a pay as you go.

What really kills plans for us is the taxes and fees. The pay-by-month plans skirt around most fees and the worst of the taxes.
1. The service works as advertised.
2. The plans offered work within my budget.

I have been with my carrier for years. There are a number of things I don't like, but overall it has worked as advertised & continues to do so. I came across the page & saw how it could work for me in various ways, some of which could be disaster-related.

My disasters have always been at the personal-level. During the GF of 1993, I was called up by the Guard, so I had the BGM looking out for me. :?

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:56 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 am
MPMalloy wrote:
NT2C wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

I've been tempted to switch to T-mo simply because of their "what you see is what you pay" thing. However, their signal around here is generally--at most--as good as AT&T, and often worse.

I've been running both AT&T and T-mobile SIMs for a few weeks for testing, and have noticed some amusing oddities. E.g. at work, I have full signal from T-mo on one side of the building and bupkiss for AT&T, but the reverse is true on the other. Similarly when driving to my parent's place for Christmas, there were a few points along the highway where I'd get decent signal from only one or the other, but on the way back those same points would have the opposite signal. The building didn't seem particularly odd, but totally changing signal levels just from facing the other way and being on the other side of the road was odd.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:47 pm

smells spammy....
Following the off thread though, anyone looking for a VPN should visit : https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-services-k ... mous-2018/ since many VPNs are required to log your activity.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Return to “Links”