It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:55 pm 

Browning 35 wrote:
Ever fight or struggle with someone jacked up and out of their mind on drugs or with someone who's violently mentally ill? I have. It's the reason the phrase 'The mad have strength' was coined.

It is not just the reasons like drugs you give, adrenalin can increase a normal person's ability too. We as humans have a fail safe built into us. We don't normally use our full potential strength. We in fact use very little of our real possible strength usually. The Incredible Hulk senerio of lifting a car off a dying loved one is the typical image of when we do give our all.

Zombies might not listen to this normal fail safe and give their all to actions. Thus we might encounter what seems to be super human strengths in zombies, if they ever did truly exist.

Though if zombies did do this regularly they would likely destroy their bodies much faster than the regular decay of a dead body. Plus they would need a lot larger amount of energy input to replace what is used up. So while theoretically a zombie could have a much greater power than us normally it could not be sustained for very long.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:42 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
Browning 35 wrote:
Ever fight or struggle with someone jacked up and out of their mind on drugs or with someone who's violently mentally ill? I have. It's the reason the phrase 'The mad have strength' was coined.

It is not just the reasons like drugs you give, adrenalin can increase a normal person's ability too. We as humans have a fail safe built into us. We don't normally use our full potential strength. We in fact use very little of our real possible strength usually. The Incredible Hulk senerio of lifting a car off a dying loved one is the typical image of when we do give our all.

Zombies might not listen to this normal fail safe and give their all to actions. Thus we might encounter what seems to be super human strengths in zombies, if they ever did truly exist.

Though if zombies did do this regularly they would likely destroy their bodies much faster than the regular decay of a dead body. Plus they would need a lot larger amount of energy input to replace what is used up. So while theoretically a zombie could have a much greater power than us normally it could not be sustained for very long.

many of those drugs are sympathetic agonists and you get "lots of fuel (glucose) added to the fire" along with increases in circulation to important organs (like lungs and muscles)
And yes- I agree- this could only be temporary! you would eventually burn all available glucose, switch to fat metabolism and end up with ketoacidosis (assuming you didn't have a cardiovascular insult, which would be potentially lethal IN A NORMAL HUMAN)

But do you think this would effect zombies? they apparently don't need a heart anyways? after all, a shot to the chest does nothing??? what kind of metabolism do they have? they evidently "crave" meat, but they seem to continue living without it? Kinda defeats newtons laws of thermodynamics when it comes to creating/destroying and transferring energy. it's just theoretically impossible to continue life w/o replacing fuel which is consumed 24/7 even by the most simple metabolic events like cellular respiration. ORRRRRRRRR do they have such a low base metabolic rate that they practically need much less energy to maintain daily function?

gettin' deep fellas

edit: on second thought, if you didn't need 02 then you wouldn't need a heart (other than to distribute nutrients to organs)-- so if they don't need 02, what is the oxidizing agent in their cellular rx?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

royalflush wrote:
many of those drugs are sympathetic agonists and you get "lots of fuel (glucose) added to the fire" along with increases in circulation to important organs (like lungs and muscles)
And yes- I agree- this could only be temporary! you would eventually burn all available glucose, switch to fat metabolism and end up with ketoacidosis (assuming you didn't have a cardiovascular insult, which would be potentially lethal IN A NORMAL HUMAN)

But do you think this would effect zombies? they apparently don't need a heart anyways? after all, a shot to the chest does nothing??? what kind of metabolism do they have? they evidently "crave" meat, but they seem to continue living without it? Kinda defeats newtons laws of thermodynamics when it comes to creating/destroying and transferring energy. it's just theoretically impossible to continue life w/o replacing fuel which is consumed 24/7 even by the most simple metabolic events like cellular respiration. ORRRRRRRRR do they have such a low base metabolic rate that they practically need much less energy to maintain daily function?

gettin' deep fellas

edit: on second thought, if you didn't need 02 then you wouldn't need a heart (other than to distribute nutrients to organs)-- so if they don't need 02, what is the oxidizing agent in their cellular rx?

It's these kinds of questions that Hollywood is not expecting the general public to ask. Even a relatively basic understanding of how the body works will ruin the illusion of zombies being possible (at least as they are usually depicted in movies/shows/etc). Most people believe that, so long as you have an intact brain, the state of the rest of the body doesn't really matter...it could still function if infected with "the right virus". That's on par with saying a car could continue to run -- regardless of the state of the engine, transmission, fuel system, and electrical system -- so long as the CPU was intact and you had "the right driver".

Complete rubbish.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:59 pm 

yeah, i don't see a way that it could happen just like the movies
they should have thought it out just a little more conscientiously in the 70's :-)

I'm open to suggestions, of course, on how it would be possibly (physiologically) but I just cant figure out a way...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That begs the question, what characteristics (both physically and behaviorally) are requisite for being a zombie? I debated that question once in this thread. You should check it out and share your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:48 pm 

thanks for sharing- seems like it's pretty much the sterotypical movie zombie.
major thing: cognitive dysfunction (doesn't really know what its doing) and instinct driven- seems possibly enough

as far as being stronger- seems impossibly for sustained life. maybe bursts, but thats all as far as I could figure. only a few movies depict them as super strong (res evil, wwz, the will smith movie that I can't remember, and a few others), other movies depict slow stupid individuals that make up a dangerous, inescapable hoard.

there are muscular disorders in horses (and maybe humans but I'm not sure). look up hypp in equine. causes over musculature.

ORRRRR here is another senario
a drug like pcp except even more addictive is discovered in the water. and it irreversibly binds the receptors so that it's a permanent high?